Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Not at all biased then.
    If he said our foreign policy and how we use our military then there is a conversation to be had because backlash is a thing. What he is actually talking about is nonsense and totally biased.

What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because he isn't claiming those things. You are lying about what he said. At no point did he declare ISIS to be "the good guy".

What he actually said was that, in his opinion, the US military was a greater threat. That still means he thinks ISIS is a threat.

It's like if I said having your arm cut off was a greater injury than having your wrist broken, and you tried to claim I'd said that having a broken wrist was awesome and fun. It's a deliberate and egregious corruption of the actual statement, to misrepresent the other person's argument.
    I didn't say that he said "ISIS is the good guy". I said that he is trying to make it look like ISIS is the good guy. Since you didn't seem to get my point I'll make it clearer I guess. With his statements he is attempting to make it look like the U.S. is this great threat to the world and that ISIS isn't close to the same level. The truth is that is totally false. He IS claiming that the U.S. military does exactly what we are condemning them for and again the truth is we don't. The guy just wants to paint the U.S. military as this big bad so that the group he supports doesn't look as bad as they actually are.

Deleted
    OMG PROFESSOR IZ TOTES NATION BASHING BRO

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Kruncholyo View Post
    Lol at the idea that academics are right about this. They certainly are smug, preening, self-righteous jackholes, but they haven't a clue about real world facts on the ground. They'd rather argue about the social justice ramifications of their fair trade, indigene-grown quinoa salads than put their well-being on the line for another human being.
    So your argument is that they eat salad?

Like I don't get it. You see that people of a particular education level tend to hold a view so you become dismissive of that view because there is a very strong correlation with education to holding that view, and you think it's the same as less educated people holding a different view because? Because somehow them being able to be grouped together makes their view dismissible?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfyre27 View Post
    I didn't say that he said "ISIS is the good guy". I said that he is trying to make it look like ISIS is the good guy. Since you didn't seem to get my point I'll make it clearer I guess. With his statements he is attempting to make it look like the U.S. is this great threat to the world and that ISIS isn't close to the same level. The truth is that is totally false. He IS claiming that the U.S. military does exactly what we are condemning them for and again the truth is we don't. The guy just wants to paint the U.S. military as this big bad so that the group he supports doesn't look as bad as they actually are.
    You were still wrong. He doesn't ever say that he supports ISIS, his phrasing actually more indicates that he condemns ISIS. He says that the US military is a larger threat to peace and stability in that region because that's what we've been. ISIS has done some horrible things but as far as bringing instability and war, they have a couple decades to go to catch up to us.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2014-11-04 at 06:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    So your argument is that they eat salad?

Like I don't get it. You see that people of a particular education level tend to hold a view so you become dismissive of that view because there is a very strong correlation with education to holding that view, and you think it's the same as less educated people holding a different view because? Because somehow them being able to be grouped together makes their view dismissible?
    I think he's just scared of people different to himself...

He's not entirely wrong. The military in most countries doesn't serve the people, it serves the government and their best interests. I have no doubt that if things became very dire in the western world then we'd be quite quickly see western countries turned into very strict police states.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's ridiculous to compare the US military to a group that rapes, beheads and beats civilians. The US military isn't perfect, no standing army can be, but they aren't the ISIS - and to make any comparison is just ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have him deported or at least have him fired for his extremist views. Everyone who has done their research knows that muslims hate America. I'm not American btw.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-11-04 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's ridiculous to compare the US military to a group that rapes, beheads and beats civilians. The US military isn't perfect, no standing army can be, but they aren't the ISIS - and to make any comparison is just ridiculous.
    It's more ridiculous that people are ignoring that he was speaking about the US military in the context of the region of the Middle East and not the entire world. The writers of the article say 'world peace' but then they quote him and he says 'peace and stability in the region'. Historically we've been a pretty negative force there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muadiib View Post
    I would have him deported or at least have him fired for his extremist views. Everyone who has done their research knows that muslims hate America. I'm not American btw.
    Have him fired for his extremist views? Have him deported? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? This is fucking America, he's entitled to his views and if you just deport people who have opposing viewpoints, you lead yourself into a towering circlejerk that will end in disaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say that he said "ISIS is the good guy". I said that he is trying to make it look like ISIS is the good guy.
    You do realize your post is right there for anyone else to see, right?
    He is trying to make the U.S. look like the bad guy and claiming that ISIS is the good guy in this whole situation, which is wholly false.
    You explicitly said, specifically, that he was claiming "ISIS is the good guy". It's right freaking there.

And your "correction" is still a gross mischaracterization of his point, so I really don't get why you think it's an improvement.

Since you didn't seem to get my point I'll make it clearer I guess. With his statements he is attempting to make it look like the U.S. is this great threat to the world and that ISIS isn't close to the same level. The truth is that is totally false. He IS claiming that the U.S. military does exactly what we are condemning them for and again the truth is we don't. The guy just wants to paint the U.S. military as this big bad so that the group he supports doesn't look as bad as they actually are.
    You've provided zero evidence to back up this case, and you're going right back to the completely unsupportable and deliberately defamatory claim that this professor "supports ISIS". Which is a straight-up lie.

Not only that but ISIS do all those things to children to including torture.

Al-Gharbi claimed that the isolated instances of U.S. soldiers committing atrocities including rape, for which they face court-martial and imprisonment if found guilty, are on a level with the widespread and systematic brutality of Islamic State radicals.
    What lunacy. Well, that's a good way to avoid ever having tenure, I suppose. He can think bullshit like this all he likes, but I'll be damned if I ever knowingly attend a college/University that knowingly keeps folks like this on payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    What lunacy. Well, that's a good way to avoid ever having tenure, I suppose.
    That isn't what he said, that's Fox putting words into his mouth.

You can read his own article in full on Al-Jazeera. He pretty clearly puts the doings of individual soldiers in the US military on the same level as ISIS' consistent and systematic atrocities.

It's a shame really. The professor made a relatively benign comment on world-issues and is demonized for it. This is why you don't go to Fox or MSNBC for accurate information.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

You don't need to be a genius to figure it out. Just compare the civilians killed by USA army and ISIS. I don't care in what name or purpose they are killed. The only relevant question is are those people dead or not.

Deleted
    The thing that bothers me most, is that the American government blatantly lies about it's intentions.
    They claim to get involved due to some sort of sense of responsibility or to achieve some kind of balance or fairness. It's such bullshit. If there wasn't money or some form of net personal gain involved, they wouldn't give it a second glance.
    Either that, or they claim they're fighting 'The War on Terror', much like they're fighting 'The War on Drugs' (notice how much they love to put 'war' in stuff?), citing that since September 11th 'Something needs to change'. Completely skirting around the fact that 9/11 would have never happened if they weren't trying to be such World Police in the first place.
    I'm not saying that America 'deserved' 9/11, innocents never deserve to die, no matter what part of the planet they come from. But there's absolutely no denying that America brought it upon itself due to it's prior overseas involvement. Christ, the fact they managed to spin it into some kind of mad crusade that took them all the way to Iraq speaks volumes about the governments dishonesty and complete lack of regard for the safety of it's citizens, or other countries' citizens in the grand scheme of things.

All we know about groups like IS and Al Qaeda is what we get told by our news outlets, which are ultimately sanctioned in some way by the respective government of the country in which they reside. Anybody who tries to tell the other side of the story gets relegated to the conspiracy theorist or 'traitor' camp for not falling in line with what we've been told to believe. And in that respect, I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can read his own article in full on Al-Jazeera. He pretty clearly puts the doings of individual soldiers in the US military on the same level as ISIS' consistent and systematic atrocities.
    The article in question wasn't an Al-Jazeera; that link was to a piece he wrote on the Israel-Hamas conflict.

Here's the article in question;
    http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/26...have-over-isis

And you're completely wrong. You are egregiously mischaracterizing his actual argument.

Deleted
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4654825.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...tan-occupation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghr...prisoner_abuse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

Should I continue? There's plenty more!