Page 1 of 109
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why do people struggle so much with the idea that .999...=1

So, not sure if any of you have had this discussion with anyone before, where they are convinced that .999... (point nine repeating) is a number "infinitely close to 1 but not ACTUALLY equal to 1" and no amount of proof will persuade them otherwise.

Like, there are a lot of things out there where it's either a matter of opinion (so can't be proven one way or another) or is something with a provable answer but it's either quite complicated or difficult to prove or whatever, and to an extent it's like understandable that those kinds of thing are going to be difficult to explain to people but with this .999... thing, it's pretty easy to show, so why do people defend it SO strongly? What is it about this specific thing that makes people cling to it so strongly?

Like, when it was first explained to me and I didn't get it, I was ADAMANT that all these things that people were showing me as proof were just wrong somehow and couldn't understand why people were defending it so strongly, and now that I'm like, on the other side of the argument or whatever it's equally frustrating to see people just not accepting clear proof of something, but I still just don't get what it is about this one specific 'argument' that people feel so strongly about?

Logic dictates that if it's 1, it's 1. But it's 0.999...
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people can't fathom infinity.
    When I see someone write .999.... I stop thinking past those 3 numbers, and my mind gets stuck thinking it's just that, .999 instead of what it actually is.

At least that's what I think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    We have no difficulty understanding that, say, 2/2 or 3/3 (two halves, three thirds) are equal to 1 even though 2/2 looks different to 1 though? They hold the same value and that's all that should matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    A third of 1 is .3333...
    3 times .3333... is .9999....

Ergo, .9999.... is 1

depends what you gonna use it for... its for a forecast for example .999 might come out as 0

Sorry to say that but in science there is nothing proven and everything can equally be disproved.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    depends what you gonna use it for... its for a forecast for example .999 might come out as 0

Sorry to say that but in science there is nothing proven and everything can equally be disproved.
    What? It's not science, it's raw maths, where things can be proven.

10+ Year Old Account

.999 might. .999... isn't .999 though, it's .999 repeating

Deleted
    Math is man made, man constructed the system so that 0.999... has the same value as 1. Theyre not the same number, they just have the sane value I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    What? It's not science, it's raw maths, where things can be proven.
    I strongly disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    A third of 1 is .3333...
    3 times .3333... is .9999....

Ergo, .9999.... is 1
    I can't see a mistake in that logic. I thought Erin was trolling us, now I'm not so sure anymore...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I can't see a mistake in that logic. I thought Erin was trolling us, now I'm not so sure anymore...
    No, it's absolutley a thing.

Here's a video with 9.999... reasons why .999...=1

No, it's absolutley a thing.

Here's a video with 9.999... reasons why .999...=1
    I looked to my trusted Youtube source for anything numbers... Numberphile, and they agreed with you. Thank you Erin, I learned something new today. So this is a good day!

Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

We have no difficulty understanding that, say, 2/2 or 3/3 (two halves, three thirds) are equal to 1 even though 2/2 looks different to 1 though? They hold the same value and that's all that should matter?
    1/3 isn't literally .333... It's what's used to represent the concept of 1/3 as decimal number. You're trying to equate concepts humans invented to make calculation easier with real numbers. And when I say "real" numbers I mean the mathematical definition, not "numbers that actually exist".
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Deleted
    I used to try to turn the logic back on itself.

'If it's .999 repeating, so long as it repeats, it can't ever be an integer, and thus isn't 1. As soon as it stops repeating, it is no longer infinite, and thus isn't 1.'

Deleted
    I strongly disagree!
    There's nothing to disagree about. Maths is a constructed world where we define the rules. It's one of the only cases where something CAN be proven with 100% certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by DFTR View Post
    I used to try to turn the logic back on itself.

'If it's .999 repeating, so long as it repeats, it can't ever be an integer, and thus isn't 1. As soon as it stops repeating, it is no longer infinite, and thus isn't 1.'
    Well, then it wouldn't be .999 repeating and not subject of this discussion, would it?

Is .333... equal to .34? Is .666... equal to .67?
    Beta Club Brosquad

cant say i've ever met anyone who cared about this at all and I work in IT support, you must know some major nerds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    1/3 isn't literally .333... It's what's used to represent the concept of 1/3 as decimal number. You're trying to equate concepts humans invented to make calculation easier with real numbers. And when I say "real" numbers I mean the mathematical definition, not "numbers that actually exist".
    It is though.. .333... is exactly 1/3. Just like .666... is 2/3, and .999... is 3/3