Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading my PC, which parts should I replace first?

So I'm running a Windows 8.1, 64 bit PC with the following specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.40 ghz - 3.80 ghz.
    GPU: Geforce GTX 650 TI
    RAM: 4 GB Kingston (no idea which specifically.
    PSU: Novatech PowerStation 500W PSU.
    Harddisk: 2TB SATA Hard Drive.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-S2PV

Recently purchased a new screen: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2450H...s=benq+24+inch, but I cannot stay on 60 FPS any longer in shrine after I upped the resolution to full HD, what would you suggest I would upgrade?

Thanks in advance

I would say the ram. Get a 16gb kit. 4gb is really the biggest limiting factor in your system. New GPU and and SSD would be a good idea too, but only 4gb of ram is the biggest thing holding you back right now.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, I made a typo. I have 8 Gigs of RAM not 4.

15+ Year Old Account
    Video Card first then SSD, how much is your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    I would say the ram. Get a 16gb kit. 4gb is really the biggest limiting factor in your system. New GPU and and SSD would be a good idea too, but only 4gb of ram is the biggest thing holding you back right now.
    You need 16gb nowadays?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Video Card first then SSD, how much is your budget?
    approximately £100 atm. for one componenent.

Deleted
    the gtx 650 ti you got is not the "650 ti boost" is it? With 100pounds you're upgrading nothing, its too low budget. What you can do is add a Crucial MX100 256gb ssd and/or a better power supply cause that one aint good.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    You need 16gb nowadays?
    I would say so, I have 8 and it isn't uncommon to run low while I am multi-tasking.

Deleted
    Get this PSU and then see if you can't fit in an SSD when companies have offers on. I'd say you should try and push for a 240GB SSD, but given that the PSU will eat slightly over half of your budget after S&H costs, that's unlikely.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does the SSD harddisk improve frame rate though? Kostattoo it's unfortunately not the boost one no, how much would you wager I'd have to put in to get an upgrade in the GPS department?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_Trueskills View Post
    Does the SSD harddisk improve frame rate though?
    nop, just improve ur loading times by a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_Trueskills View Post
    Does the SSD harddisk improve frame rate though? Kostattoo it's unfortunately not the boost one no, how much would you wager I'd have to put in to get an upgrade in the GPS department?
    No, the GPU and the CPU will do that.
    Improving general responsiveness though it may do.
    In WoW for example the GPU is the limiting factor in general open world content, but raiding and other content with players throwing spells around will hit the CPU more and that is where the performance suffers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Honestly, right now you've got a pretty decent rig. Your CPU has fallen a bit behind, your GPU has fallen a bit behind, but nothing too far. I simply wouldn't upgrade yet if you don't have the funds at the moment to do it properly, it'd be a waste of money in my opinion.

Deleted
    To be worth the upgrade you are looking around gtx760 area upwards.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    would it be worth it to get:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i5-469...words=i5+4690k
    and
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeFor...eywords=gtx760
    I would probably also have to throw in a new PSU as those seem to drain some more power, but would this give me the performance I am looking for?
    *edit, also will my motherboard support these components if any of you guys know?

Deleted
    You need a new mobo as well for that cpu (i see you got micro form mobo-what case you got?). For the gpu, as i mentioned above, a gtx760 and above is worth the upgrade. This is the ballpark of what you are looking at:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.50 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£149.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.52 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £441.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-08 12:34 GMT+0000

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    definitely not too bad, thanks a lot for that. How much of an upgrade would you say this is?

Deleted
    the cpu at stock is not much of an upgrade unless you overlock it (which mean you will need an aftermarket cooler, Coolermaster 212evo-Be Quiet!dark rock2) to a reasonable number 4.2-4.5. On the gpu side i can't really tell how much will be in real life applications. On a benchmark is far better but in games, will depend from game to game utilization. The gtx760 lets you play wow on ultra, if thats you main game.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well not just on ultra, I want to maintain a good FPS, I can run the game on ultra atm. But not at an average of 60 FPS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do not upgrade the CPU. That would be a waste of money at this moment. Until you have a better GPU, upgrading your already solid CPU will just give you very minor improvements.

If you want better frame rates, your first step would be GPU + PSU. For around 200 GBP you can get a GTX 760 and a decent PSU in the 500W range. While WoW is not that graphically demanding and a GTX 650 still holds up fairly well, in more demanding situations (raids) this card hits its limits and is most likely your culprit for fps drops.

If you want better loading times and all around better responsiveness in Windows, get an SSD (250GB for around 100 GBP, e.g. Crucial MX100 or Samsung 840 EVO)

Unless you want the best possible fps now, i would not upgrade the CPU until the next generation from Intel (according to roadmap in Q3 2015). Considering your limited budget, i would put that off for now.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet