Gtx 570 - r9 280x oc

Wondering if a GTX 570 to a Gigabyte R9 280X OC (rev 2) is a worthy upgrade? I might be picking it up soon (under $200). Also wanting to know if I'll run into any problems with my setup.

M5A97 LE R2.0
    FX-6300 @ stock (can't overclock with my board)
    Thermaltake Smart 650W

Hoping I don't have my CPU holding the card back. Thanks.

Your cpu could be a bottleneck with that upgrade. Especially if you cant oc it.

If your mobo supports sli you could find another 570 on the cheap you can pick one up on ebay for around 50 bucks.

You should just save your money for now. If your willing to spend 200ish now just save up a little longer and do a complete cpu, mobo, ram, card upgrade.
    Last edited by counterhero; 2014-11-07 at 01:25 AM.

Eh shouldnt have a problem, if there is gonna be a bottleneck it wouldnt be as much as you would think but there will be.

The upgrade will be worth it but dont expect miracles, 570 is still a decent card.

Generally expect a 50-70% increase on heavy games and their high-ultra settings.

Basically i mean, if the 570 can put lets say example wise 30 FPS on Crysis 3 Very High, the 280X is probably around 45-55 but the difference is that the 570 will dip at 15 at heavy situations, while th 280 will probably remain over 35 on 1080p.
    Last edited by potis; 2014-11-07 at 01:26 AM.

I was thinking about saving for the new GTX 970 and waiting to see what AMD has to offer with the new 300 series. Also pretty torn on what to do cause I wanted to get a heatsinked/990FX motherboard to overclock the FX-6300 to 4.3/4.5. I already bought a CM Hyper 212 EVO not knowing I couldn't OC. So not sure if it's worth even swapping the motherboard at this point.

Also my RAM is dual-channel 2x4GB @ 1600 MHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    I was thinking about saving for the new GTX 970 and waiting to see what AMD has to offer with the new 300 series. Also pretty torn on what to do cause I wanted to get a heatsinked/990FX motherboard to overclock the FX-6300 to 4.3/4.5. I already bought a CM Hyper 212 EVO not knowing I couldn't OC. So not sure if it's worth even swapping the motherboard at this point.

Also my RAM is dual-channel 2x4GB @ 1600 MHz.
    If you are talking Blizzard games, your FX 6300 can handle them just fine so yes, motherboard and OC.

If you wanna play serious heavy next gen games then no, your FX 6300 cant handle it, sell it and look into Intel side.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    upgrade cpu and motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    If you are talking Blizzard games, your FX 6300 can handle them just fine so yes, motherboard and OC.

If you wanna play serious heavy next gen games then no, your FX 6300 cant handle it, sell it and look into Intel side.
    FX-6300 holds up pretty well even at stock on new games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66BiQsOM9_M

Blizzard games actually struggle due to the poor single threaded performance. I don't think i'll be swapping processor only motherboard to overclock 4.5 GHz.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    upgrade cpu and motherboard.
    He wants to upgrade his GPU...

I love the Intel fanboys (Im one) but he wants a new GPU not your oppinion on his cpu and motherboard. Yes that R9-280X is a huge upgrade, and they will be even lower on black Friday in a few weeks, speculation on various websites is $179.00 and the R9-280s at $154.00, I guess we will see. If they drop that low I will be getting one as well.

Deleted
    I want one of those Fridays-Saturdays-don't-care-what-day here as well, with mega sales, so i can go shopping with a cart!

Going to go with the SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X. I think it's a better choice.

Keep your GPU upgrade your CPU/Mobo, WoW loves intel:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,3849-10.html

This graph shows two things, WoW does not benefit from more than 2 cores, and WoW loves intel CPU's.

On top of that, i would stay away from the 900 series nvidia cards for a while (at least when it comes to WoW). A few threads have popped up on the blizzard forums with much lower than expected performance in WoW, this was the exact same thing that happened when AMD released the r9-290 series cards. 570 is more than enough to peg 60 FPS ultra in non cpu-limited scenarios (raids, bg's, world bosses etc). Get an unlocked i5 with a z97 motherboard, will be most FPS for the buck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    I want one of those Fridays-Saturdays-don't-care-what-day here as well, with mega sales, so i can go shopping with a cart!
    No you don't. It's so bad.