Mercy - Caduceus Rod?

Why is Mercy using the holy symbol of merchants and thieves?
    It does not seem to fit her rather benevolent background.

Quote Originally Posted by Iry View Post
    Why is Mercy using the holy symbol of merchants and thieves?
    It does not seem to fit her rather benevolent background.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceu...ol_of_medicine

Because decades of confusing the Rod of Asclepius with the Caduceus has made the Caduceus a de facto symbol of medicine at this point.

Blame the U.S. Army Medical Corps

Because this isn't the 1700s and it's a symbol of medicine nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Because decades of confusing the Rod of Asclepius with the Caduceus has made the Caduceus a de facto symbol of medicine at this point.
    Blame the U.S. Army Medical Corps
    I can see the ironic connection to the US medical system, being teasingly appropriate as thieves themselves. But why would Blizzard make that mistake? That's still an active religious group.

I can see the ironic connection to the US medical system, being teasingly appropriate as thieves themselves. But why would Blizzard make that mistake? That's still an active religious group.
    Don't do that. Don't even try to do that. This isn't the forum for it.

It's not a mistake. It's used like that, so the symbol carries that meaning now. That's how definition and meaning works. People use a thing a certain way for a long time and it becomes so.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Don't do that. Don't even try to do that. This isn't the forum for it.
    You're now on the ignore list. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    It's not a mistake. It's used like that, so the symbol carries that meaning now. That's how definition and meaning works. People use a thing a certain way for a long time and it becomes so.
    That seems like a petition waiting to happen, but I suppose there is nothing to be done about it. Thank you for the answers. I appreciate them!