Firefall, Defiance, Warframe, Global Agenda, and Overwatch

The third person shooter MMO/AMMO/MMORPG/Lobby genre has many, MANY fantastic elements that are dispersed throughout several games.

Defiance has the best open world events with phasing and ranking for challenges.

Firefall has some of the best combat and movement of the genre and the only 20 man raids.

Warframe has the best customization.

Overwatch looks like it will have the best classes and abilities.

Global Agenda has some of the best dungeons of the genre.

What I want to know is when a developer will take these elements and bring them together into a single game?

If I could have overwatches classes and abilities in Firefall, the cohesion and identity, with firefalls combat and movement, defiances open world events and challenges, warframes customization, and GA dungeons paired with Firefall raids... I would be set.

The open world could be horizontally designed with no levels, stat shifts rather than stat increases. Then, dungeons and raids could use a "power rating" system that only applied in dungeons and raids to create progression within them that wouldn't completely fuck up open world content. PvP could be a mix of arena, battlegrounds, and an open world zone with, again, a sort of "pvp power rating" to create progression that wouldn't fuck up open world content. Causal content would be open world. Hardcore content would be instanced.

I know most of you are gen2 players, WoW, FF14, Rift, Swtor, ect, but this sub genre of gen3 is in serious need of love. Gen3 Action MMOs are doing great with things like Vindictus, Tera, Elder Scrolls, and Neverwinter but... Gen3 shooter MMOs? oof.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    What about the Division? atm for me that's my most hyped of this genre http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Cla...s_The_Division

Quote Originally Posted by Meafy View Post
    What about the Division? atm for me that's my most hyped of this genre http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Cla...s_The_Division
    Eh, it's very "COD" :/

I don't know.

I would rather see something like Tribes or Firefall,

Quote Originally Posted by Meafy View Post
    definitely my most anticipated game

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Overwatch really fits in that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    I don't think Overwatch really fits in that list.
    I think he is really referring to the classes and skills of Overwatch

also, it isn't a third person shooter, it's an FPS

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I think he is really referring to the classes and skills of Overwatch

also, it isn't a third person shooter, it's an FPS
    Correct, many third person shooter MMOs have shit for class / role identity and abilities.

Firefall's combat is awful....the only fun thing about it was the assault's main weapon, everything else was very uninspired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly though, I kinda dislike the third person genre. Firefall is OK because of its movement as well as keeping the ability to go first person, but in general it's quite unimmersive.

Also, the only third person game I've played that actually does third person right is Ghost Recon. Being able to switch perspective from left to right should be in EVERY third person game. Warframe is fun, but the problem I have with it is the one I just mentioned; not being able to swap perspectives.

Again, wish more third person games gave you the ability to swap perspective from left to right. I think giving the player more customization to how they want to play would do much better for third person games. Some people don't even like the third person view as much, just like me, so having to option to go first person or at the very least swap perspectives would make them far more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Firefall's combat is awful....the only fun thing about it was the assault's main weapon, everything else was very uninspired.
    How is it awful? It's just like every other shooter game in my eyes. Granted I've only played Assault/Tigerclaw for the majority, the combat was still very much enjoyable. My only gripe with it is that I have no idea what to do after having played the closed beta a ton.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2014-11-09 at 06:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Eh, it's very "COD" :/
    I like games more anchored in the possible current future but not too futuristic (if that makes sense) especialy in the shooter mmo genre like Day z , survival games need more hype

Deleted
    There are far more online FPS (even truly Massive Multiplayer) than there are online TPS.

I suspect this may have something to do with the control system firstly, loss of immersion secondly and camera-environment thirdly. The PC offers very fine-grained control systems and therefore entire gaming systems can be developed around that control, as well as mostly copied freely between games. This also means more funds and focus can be spent on designing optimal gameplay, rather than a very broad control system. Also, the loss in immersion can be huge, e.g. in Firefall, I have never felt so disconnected from my character in any MMO. Even Phantasy Star Universe online (a game with an awful control system) felt more immersive than Firefall.

TPS games are more popular on the console because of assisted aiming control systems, naturally a part of the lower control available from consoles.

Personally, I found the control system and loss of immersion such a big deal that I have never been able to play any TPS for longer than a few tens of minutes (and yes, I've tried all the ones mentioned here, since OW is not a TPS).

The one exception is Global Agenda. For some reason it felt far more like I was playing a supped up version of Team Fortress than I was playing a TPS. I had zero issues finding a control configuration I was happy with. In addition, skill shots absolutely count in it for all classes, but especially the Recon sniper, though I favored the Robotoics and Medic. And like you said, the PvE experience in dungeons holds very high tension, great team difficulty and synergy, plus nicely raises your skills for PvP. The combination makes for a great immersive experience.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2014-11-09 at 07:07 PM.

Deleted
    i thought overwatch was first person and is it really going to offer more than Team Fortress 2.. both team based shooters and one having a solid PVE experience (for certain).

I do remember global agenda having an awesome PVE.. last i heard GA 2 was pvp only which was disappointing newa to say the least.
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2014-11-10 at 02:10 AM.

No mention of Battleborn? It fits into this genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    i thought overwatch was first person and is it really going to offer more than Team Fortress 2.. both team based shooters and one having a solid PVE experience (for certain).

I do remember global agenda having an awesome PVE.. last i heard GA 2 was pvp only which was disappointing newa to say the least.
    The core of GA was PVP. The game then had an identity crisis when people really wanted an open world for whatever reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by General Vezax View Post
    The core of GA was PVP. The game then had an identity crisis when people really wanted an open world for whatever reason.
    it might have been the core but the PVE was far better imo.

Something a lot of people forget about....Planetside.

Tho truth be said Planetside 2 has so painful system requirements, so I'm not surprised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Something a lot of people forget about....Planetside.

Tho truth be said Planetside 2 has so painful system requirements, so I'm not surprised.
    Except if there ever was a shooter MMO that is so clearly NOT A TPS, it would be Planetside. That's why it has not been mentioned in this thread.

It is an MMOFPS, and an excellent one at that (if your system can play it and if you can stomach their business model).
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2014-11-10 at 02:34 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What about Planetside 2?

-All the events are open world and everyone has a rank.
    -There are no real bullet sponges and the ones that do exist have several counters. There is also no 'bad AI' like what Firefall has suffered from in the past.
    -Raiding another faction's territory or compound can involve epic numbers of people.
    -Each faction has multiple weapons with multiple attachments to customize your loadout to the way you like to play (not to mention class abilities and such).

EDIT: Just saw the last two comments already mention PS and PS2.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2014-11-10 at 09:06 PM.