Thread: Tri Spec

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I believe that the class identity reason is actually a poor one for a couple of reasons.

1) We already have dual specialization meaning we already have access to 2/3 of all the class options. The new talent system that came with MoP made it so you don't really need to change from PvE to PvP of the same spec anymore since you can just use books to change glyphs and talents. A raid leader that would ask to switch specs if tri-spec were to do it would ask you to do it anyway. This is a case of going halfway between "class identity" and giving us the option to change at will.

2) *YOU* give your class the identity, not the specs. *YOU* are the one that chooses to play as a shadow priest and not do any healing. *YOU* are the one who loves to specialize in tanking as your role. *YOU* are the one that may choose to play a different spec. I have 2 level 90 mages, one is my Frost Mage, the other is my Fire Mage. They both have the Arcane spec, but I consider neither as Arcane. Same idea if this were spread to all 3 specs.

3) You can already access all 3 specs with a small gold dump, and the hassle of keybind swaps. This part is just poor design in order to retain "class identity", because it's easy yet a bit of an annoyance to have to do for those who want to switch constantly.

I also believe it would look a lot cleaner interface-wise to merely swap from the 3 class specs rather than unlock spec 1, then choose between 3 specs, unlock spec 2, then choose between 3 specs. It should be unlock spec 1, choose from the 3 specs, unlock spec 2, choose from 2 remaining, unlock spec 3, get that last one. Guardians would get the 4 specs instead. I know this is hard to visualize, but it would make things feel like less of a hassle and less confusing for the newer player.

You fellas are talking about "character identity".

Honestly, something that you can change/remove in UNDER 3 minutes is in no meaningful way an "identity".

Character Identity through talents was a valid thing back in Diablo 2 where talents were PERMANENT choices, so your character truly had an identity from talent choices.

In today's WoW the horribly limiting and outdated "dual spec" system provides absolutely NO character identity.
    You can change specs in under 3 minutes (including traveling) - while certain classes can teleport to trainers, thus changing "identity" in under one minute...

There is no reason to keep this horribly annoying "dual spec" mechanic in the game, especially when many classes can already use teleports to get a "pseudo tri spec"...
    Let players memorize up to 10 different sets of Spec+Talent+Glyphs+ActionBars - that way you can easily swap (out of combat/BG/Arenas) for any purpose you might need, without needing 3rd party addons...

Allowing spec swapping in the first place was a misstep, but as said above, that particular can of worms is open, and won't be closed anytime soon.

Having already established that as part of the game, however, their reasoning for not allowing tri-spec is flat out stupid, since anyone can actually accomplish it themselves via a trainer visit and some glyph / talent shifting.... which takes it clearly out of the realm of 'character identity', and firmly into the convenience zone.

And if there's anything WoW players can't get enough of, it's convenience.

On a side note, it's funny to hear them talk about character identity in the first place as something important, seeing as the only possible thing I can't change about a character is its class.

I was always playing all specs of any character, I had. I just want Blizzard to stop discriminating me and pretending, that I'm not existing - I want them to officially reflect the fact, that I'm playing all specs, in game UI, armory, etc. As simple, as that.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    They'll add 'tri spec' once we get four specializations for all classes.

And by that I mean, probably never. Seriously, I want four specializations...
    With ability pruning, it would be easy to bring in 4 specializations. But my guess is, not every class will get 4 specs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    You fellas are talking about "character identity".

Honestly, something that you can change/remove in UNDER 3 minutes is in no meaningful way an "identity".

Character Identity through talents was a valid thing back in Diablo 2 where talents were PERMANENT choices, so your character truly had an identity from talent choices.

In today's WoW the horribly limiting and outdated "dual spec" system provides absolutely NO character identity.
    You can change specs in under 3 minutes (including traveling) - while certain classes can teleport to trainers, thus changing "identity" in under one minute...

There is no reason to keep this horribly annoying "dual spec" mechanic in the game, especially when many classes can already use teleports to get a "pseudo tri spec"...
    Let players memorize up to 10 different sets of Spec+Talent+Glyphs+ActionBars - that way you can easily swap (out of combat/BG/Arenas) for any purpose you might need, without needing 3rd party addons...
    Agreed. But lets hope it is not sold as an expansion feature.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    So they said in the Blizzcon that they have no plans to implement it yet - Why are they being so stubborn about it? There is no good reason not to add it and it has been requested for ages (and the tech is already implemented in game)
    There's no need for tri-spec. That's all there is to it. Be glad you even got dual-spec.

I remember them also saying that changing the look of your items is NOT something they were interested in doing, right after which came transmog.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    So they said in the Blizzcon that they have no plans to implement it yet - Why are they being so stubborn about it? There is no good reason not to add it and it has been requested for ages (and the tech is already implemented in game)
    you aren't asking for tri spec. you are asking for no spec. may as well remove them all together and have abilities activate based on a stance switch. after all, why go through the hassle of opening the screen and switching when they can add a button like duids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Why are you all stopping the debate at 3? Why not 9?
    I agree - I think having a spec limitation in general is rubbish. All it is is a tiny amount of gold and 2 minutes of your time to change spec these days, why is the limitation even in place?

Don't bitch to me about identity, your identity is the class your play. Your spec is variable, you can change it any time you want, it plays no role in your identity.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I just would like Tri-Spec for PvP only, because it sucks when you have 2 PvE specs and also play PvP from time to time. But it should be just one more spec that is restricted to PvP only.
    It doesn't really make sense to add a 3rd one for PvE because then your choice of spec wouldn't be meaningful again. Now you're always incomplete and always specialized to one or two specs, which is good. If there was a 3rd one, there would be more pressure from other players to be able to play all 3 specs (e.g. tank/healer/dps), which might not be at all what you want. Having just 2 means that you can specialize in what you can do best and completely ignore the 3rd one.

Just implement templates instead of specs. Each template would save spec, talent and glyph choices. Keep the same cast time and rules for switching specs (can't change in combat or during rated PvP). It would be a huge quality of life change for many players. No more running out of tomes, and having to switch glyphs and talents manually.

Edit: We can already save gear sets, this would be an almost identical system.

It'll be a cash-shop item.

All joking aside I would think that it'd be implemented only if they add another spec to each class(something I don't see happening).
    "The more we nurture our perversions the more human we become."
    -Vendetta Red

Prudes...

Deleted
    I think the arguments that it removes meaningful choice and class identity are ludicrous.

The identity is in the class you choose a mage can be fire, frost or arcane. Being able to swap easily between them and preset bars etc without add-ons in no way removes class identity it's just a QoL thing. Also, choosing which spec you are isn't a meaningful choice, it's a boring one and it's not fun.

Let's say i have a Pally char, i enjoy tanking, healing and dps on that same char. Why should i be limited to only two of those options without inconvenience? I think perhaps the difference's between pve/pvp specs aren't really there anymore as individual talents are easy to swap. Then again, i can't think of a real reason to not allow people to have pre-set loadouts which is basically what dual spec is.

Love the people who are claiming that why stop at adding tri-spec, we may as well just remove classes all together! Seriously, do you even hear what you're saying?

They should allow the saving of templates for specs and just require a tome to swap between them. As it stands now, we can already do it, we just have to travel to town to do it and waste time. There are addons that even save your bar for you which is really what it all comes down to needing. Saying that it removes the identity of your character or blah blah blah are just being flat out ridiculous and arguing just to argue against any sort of change.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Love the people who are claiming that why stop at adding tri-spec, we may as well just remove classes all together! Seriously, do you even hear what you're saying?
    It's taking the piss basically, and for good reason. If you're adding tri-spec you're essentially removing a reason to have any specs at all - like I said earlier, at that point you might as well do it like Pet specs are, which is just click to learn the spec and not having to go Primary/Secondary. Also if you ONLY add tri-spec, then it leaves out the poor druids with 4 specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The argument that "There is no reason not to do it." is a horrific game design philosophy.

There is no reason not to have chickenmen as a race.
    There is no reason not to give warriors a Glyph of The Avatar that increases their size to that of a Gronn.
    There is no reason a priest can't use two maces.
    There is no reason a Horde cannot betray his faction and join the Alliance.

Hopefully you see where I am going with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    It's taking the piss basically, and for good reason. If you're adding tri-spec you're essentially removing a reason to have any specs at all - like I said earlier, at that point you might as well do it like Pet specs are, which is just click to learn the spec and not having to go Primary/Secondary. Also if you ONLY add tri-spec, then it leaves out the poor druids with 4 specs.
    Right, they should remove specs period because it is an outdated mechanic that is beyond stupid with the ease of changing specs as it stands. The ONLY part that really does anything is having to reconfigure your action bars which is annoying and not at all useful. My suggestion is to do what GW1 did. Allow you to freely change your point allocation (spec basically) while in town and let you save gear sets and "specs".

They also said exactly why they have no plans for it. Dual-Spec was originally added when 71 point talent trees were a thing, and some acitivities (PvP, PvE, Certain boss encounters, soloing, etc.) used a slightly different point allocation. It wasn't added so you could change to any role on the fly.

The only thing that they need to do is add a base UI function like Action Bar Saver which stores your action bar setups for each spec, and they already admitted that having to set up action bars after a spec swap shouldn't be such a pain.

Whether you like it or not, having to go to a trainer and pay a gold fee is very much intended design for wow. Trainers already have such little use these days, you really want them removed altogether?
    Frequent Poster on Fluid Druid, The best Feral community out there

My Character

Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    They also said exactly why they have no plans for it. Dual-Spec was originally added when 71 point talent trees were a thing, and some acitivities (PvP, PvE, Certain boss encounters, soloing, etc.) used a slightly different point allocation. It wasn't added so you could change to any role on the fly.

The only thing that they need to do is add a base UI function like Action Bar Saver which stores your action bar setups for each spec, and they already admitted that having to set up action bars after a spec swap shouldn't be such a pain.

Whether you like it or not, having to go to a trainer and pay a gold fee is very much intended design for wow. Trainers already have such little use these days, you really want them removed altogether?
    I just want my bars to be saved so I could freely swap specs. Whether they give me a built in bar save addon or give me multi-spec I don't really care. However if they let us save our bars there really is no point to keeping dual-spec around since everything will be able to be done in under a minute.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Why are you all stopping the debate at 3? Why not 9?
    Honestly, why have specs to begin with? Why not give all spells and abilities from all specs any class has as baseline, and who can keybind best wins the day?
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill