Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    So I stand a chance in Japan?!
    Foreveralone.jpg ;-;
    That's the shtick anyway.

I guess it also helps that you wouldn't have a whole lot of europeans/americans unless you're in a massive city.

Of course there's also apartments/restaurants that won't let you in if you're a foreigner.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post

I guess it also helps that you wouldn't have a whole lot of europeans/americans unless you're in a massive city.

Of course there's also apartments/restaurants that won't let you in if you're a foreigner.
    True, there's always that "foreign allure" to almost anywhere.

I r legendary now!

So many White Knights in this thread, seriously.

On Topic: I'd like to know the answer to the question as well. If so many Japanese women are not working and not becoming mothers, what the heck are they doing then?

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post

Apartment/ restaurants not letting foreigners in is few and far between granted I have seen some even in Tokyo that didn't allow foreigners due the owner saying we were unclean. The whole allure of being European or American in Japan to Japanese is mostly you are used as a show piece to their friends saying HEY look this is my American friend or European friend not all of them are like this though, few I have met treated me like this in the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brandonsurge View Post
    So many White Knights in this thread, seriously.

On Topic: I'd like to know the answer to the question as well. If so many Japanese women are not working and not becoming mothers, what the heck are they doing then?
    Well quite a few women are working and would rather pursue a career then settle down and be a mother, if they want affection they just go to a host bar and pay the man there for drinks and talking. Some don't even want to deal with the added stress of dating and would rather stay single.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boomgoesthedynamite View Post
    This is an interesting read, if your really interested into why Japanese people aren't having sex.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ped-having-sex

The number of single people has reached a record high. A survey in 2011 found that 61% of unmarried men and 49% of women aged 18-34 were not in any kind of romantic relationship, a rise of almost 10% from five years earlier. Another study found that a third of people under 30 had never dated at all. (There are no figures for same-sex relationships.) Although there has long been a pragmatic separation of love and sex in Japan – a country mostly free of religious morals – sex fares no better. A survey earlier this year by the Japan Family Planning Association (JFPA) found that 45% of women aged 16-24 "were not interested in or despised sexual contact". More than a quarter of men felt the same way.

Around 70% of Japanese women leave their jobs after their first child. The World Economic Forum consistently ranks Japan as one of the world's worst nations for gender equality at work. Social attitudes don't help. Married working women are sometimes demonised as oniyome, or "devil wives".
    Ya they have a far way to go if the women wants to keep her job she can't get pregnant and if she does like you said she has to quit her job and be a stay at home mom.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    seems like the baby makers working too much are the dudes...

from an article someone linked: http://www.economist.com/node/10329261
    Here's what I want to know.

110 hours a week are the hours some BB IB analyst do, they aren't dropping dead like the people in Japan, why's that? Perhaps it has a bit to do with the culture in IB vs Japanese people overworking. Some work places have a strong fraternity feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Here's what I want to know.

110 hours a week are the hours some BB IB analyst do, they aren't dropping dead like the people in Japan, why's that? Perhaps it has a bit to do with the culture in IB vs Japanese people overworking. Some work places have a strong fraternity feel.
    Well it also has to deal with western culture and eastern culture too. Japanese culture from what I know you are suppose to have a outside face and inside face. Outside face even if you are feeling stressed aren't allowed to show that you are stressed let alone show they you are depressed either. You have to take in mind other peoples feelings if you show those emotions outside of your home. Long work hours along with added stress from work and not being able to let it out will take it's toll on you sooner or later. Western culture it's fine to be a individual. It's shunned in Japan though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm usually not the one to say this.. but geez... the sexism is strong in this thread.
    I know it likely isn't intentional, but I found this humorous coming from someone named slant in a thread about glorious Nippon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbynator View Post
    youre acting like having a high fertility rate is a good thing. It's not.

Overpopulation is by far the biggest problem in the world.
    Noy in Japan it's not. They have an aging population which is going to become a problem in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Deleted
    I read that womens dont get so many kids because Japan is a small island and they dont want to overpopulate the land. Just look at how japanese people live. Its like a litterbox for cats in comparision because of no space.

Japan is still a very traditional nation, it's society and culture has a lot of long lasting values that won't disappear anytime soon.

I live in Korea and I can tell you that Japan and Korea are facing the same problem with a large aging population and not enough people to replace them. Japan has a more unique situation since they are very restrictive on their immigration policies, so it's hard for people to immigrate there. The people that do immigrate there tend to be from south east asia, which Japan looks down upon, yes there is racisim between asian countries.

It's still difficult for women to get a job in Japan. Most people who hire in Japan are men, and they believe that women are going to quit their jobs to go raise a family, so they prefer to hire men who they see are going to stay there forever. Japanese work culture is very different. People are very loyal to companies and tend to never leave once they get a job. Also don't forget pay discrimination. It's really high in Japan.

There is an interesting article discussing how feminisim could save japan from their demographic problems on Vox.com The argument is basically about how Japanese work culture forces women to choose between raising a family and having a job. So a large portion of women choose to work and in doing so, choose not to have a child, while some choose to stay home and have one child. It's very expensive to raise a child in Japan. Also women are still expected to do all the house work and raise their child, so it would be very difficult for them to raise a child, take care of their home, and have a career.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I know it likely isn't intentional, but I found this humorous coming from someone named slant in a thread about glorious Nippon.

- - - Updated - - -

Noy in Japan it's not. They have an aging population which is going to become a problem in the near future.
    Japans main island Honshu is a little larger than Great Britain but much more mountainous and volcanic and suffers from plenty of earthquakes, this limits their agriculture and ability to spread out so yes over population is a threat to them if it is unsustainable. Their North island Hokkaido is 3.6% smaller than Ireland and again is very mountainous and volcanic and suffers from lots of seismic activity, several of the volcanoes are also still very active. The island also has relatively harsh snowy winters which can hamper food production.

So if like you say their solution is to just keep breeding, what would you suggest be the way they can sustain larger and larger populations with limited space and an ever aging population fueling more and more children needed for care?
    Again to reiterate more babies for looking after old people = more old people when babies grow up needing even more babies to look after them too -.- add to this the ever evolving medical practices allowing for people to live longer and longer. This negative feed back will be what screws the world over and is such a bad long term solution.
    Last edited by Miyani; 2014-11-11 at 12:17 AM.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talleyran View Post
    I live in Korea and I can tell you that Japan and Korea are facing the same problem with a large aging population and not enough people to replace them. Japan has a more unique situation since they are very restrictive on their immigration policies, so it's hard for people to immigrate there. The people that do immigrate there tend to be from south east asia, which Japan looks down upon, yes there is racisim between asian countries.

It's still difficult for women to get a job in Japan. Most people who hire in Japan are men, and they believe that women are going to quit their jobs to go raise a family, so they prefer to hire men who they see are going to stay there forever. Japanese work culture is very different. People are very loyal to companies and tend to never leave once they get a job. Also don't forget pay discrimination. It's really high in Japan.

There is an interesting article discussing how feminisim could save japan from their demographic problems on Vox.com The argument is basically about how Japanese work culture forces women to choose between raising a family and having a job. So a large portion of women choose to work and in doing so, choose not to have a child, while some choose to stay home and have one child. It's very expensive to raise a child in Japan. Also women are still expected to do all the house work and raise their child, so it would be very difficult for them to raise a child, take care of their home, and have a career.
    Man, I understand it's a culture thing but I can't imagine someone being super loyal to a company. I believe they even have a term for death from overwork - that had to happen enough for it to be even a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, this topic.

Wow. Believe it or not most women in this day and age are not inclined to want to be a baby factory. Maybe many women there are home makers, students, pursuing self-employment options and working for themselves, etc. What is the median age of women there? And what are the life goals/position of that age group.

Maybe the language intended it to be casual and funny, but it kinda failed.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Seriously, this topic.

Wow. Believe it or not most women in this day and age are not inclined to want to be a baby factory. Maybe many women there are home makers, students, pursuing self-employment options and working for themselves, etc. What is the median age of women there? And what are the life goals/position of that age group.

Maybe the language intended it to be casual and funny, but it kinda failed.
    Labor force participation includes self employed and employed in the family business. That can't be it either.

You're like the 4th person whose been upset by the language.

I'm sorry. It wasn't meant to alienate, harm, or project stereotypes. It was late, and I was a bit worried that if I made it too wordy that people would be like "wtf"

I wonder how much of it is these women being care takers - neighborhood or family kids, disabled, or elderly. Not getting money for it as a job, but not just sitting back and paging through glossy magazines, either. And then there are the NEETs.

I do understand options as career women are limited, even within the family business unless they're the sole offspring to a family.

One thing they are doing, when not in the work force? Not taking mens jobs, apparently.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel it might be some cultural thing I don't understand. Maybe they did things old style where their parents set them up and they had to have children for honor or something. Now they probably don't and it's all awkward there idk.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Japan is still a very traditional nation, it's society and culture has a lot of long lasting values that won't disappear anytime soon.
    If it doesn't, they will disappear real soon...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose