Thread: Gaming rig

Gaming rig

Hey all,

Trying to get a tower only for around about $1000 AU.

Managed to come up with this:
    http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/4FV2Bm

Any advice on alternatives?

You are wasting money you dont have on non important stuff:

Overexpensive case, yes we want the PC to look as we want it, but you never sacrifice performance for looks on a "gaming" rig i would literally build a PC in a pizza box instead of not buying proper parts.

Overexpensive PSU but i just realized when i wrote this that your pricing is weird , i guess its because you are closer to the Asian manufacturers or something.

Cooler is useless on this type of builds, i do not understand why people insist on putting them and wasting their budget, when you get some money put one then, your CPU doesnt even actually need it, its a fake "safety" measure and lately a massive trend which i do not understand.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.00 @ CPL Online)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.00 @ Centre Com)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($255.00 @ CPL Online)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.00 @ CPL Online)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Total: $1067.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-10 21:20 EST+1100

What i linked you for 20$ more is literally 100% more performance especially in the long run.

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($249.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Can always get this instead of the 760 if you want 3GB VRam, they are roughly the same performance wise but if its for blizzard games, go for the 760.

AUS PSU pricing is weird o.O
    Last edited by potis; 2014-11-10 at 10:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Potis is right, your build is terrible. No pun or disrespect intended.

His Intel one is much much better for the same price, only thing I would change is the video card, 760 is overpriced at the moment and the AMD flavors have dropped substantially because of the 970/980s.