Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by zackeryt View Post
    There aren't any fees. Not sure where you are banking. The safest place for the money would be a bank or invested, depending on their plans for it. Carrying around cash is not a good way to keep your money safe. With that being said, the last people you should be worried about taking your legal cash is the cops, of all people.
    Depending on what you do there can be fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Depending on what you do there can be fees.
    Off topic but curious, what fees are there? The only time I've ever had to pay a fee was when I over drew a couple times, which was my fault. Besides that, what fees are there?

Quote Originally Posted by zackeryt View Post
    Off topic but curious, what fees are there? The only time I've ever had to pay a fee was when I over drew a couple times, which was my fault. Besides that, what fees are there?
    Money fees... It may not be this way anymore, but I believe some banks didn't want your money unless you had enough. If it was below a threshold there was a fee just for having an account.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-11-10 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Money fees... It may not be this way anymore, but I believe some banks didn't want your money unless you had enough. If it was below a threshold there was a fee just for having an account.
    These still exist lol, and is pretty common.

I recall reading about something like this not too long ago. There was a cautionary tale about some guy who had around $8000 (or something) with him to pay for college tuition when a state trooper stopped him because of a broken tail light. The officer ended up seizing the money and the poor guy had to go through heaven and hell to get it returned.

It's pretty crazy this stuff happens as frequently as it seems to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurydemus View Post
    I recall reading about something like this not too long ago. There was a cautionary tale about some guy who had around $8000 (or something) with him to pay for college tuition when a state trooper stopped him because of a broken tail light. The officer ended up seizing the money and the poor guy had to go through heaven and hell to get it returned.

It's pretty crazy this stuff happens as frequently as it seems to.
    This is crazy.
    https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...yfp-t-319&fp=1

Does it truly matter? Cops often will break the law because their ergo was bruised by your use of law. Not to mention they routinely ask about if there is money in the car.

What about the issue of your house being taken away, because a member of your family did something illegal? They're bringing a suit against a HOUSE.
    According to Sledfang, you need to hide yo house!
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Not that it's illegal but why would you travel with large amounts of cash in these days? Just withdraw it from an ATM.
    Most ATMs have limits to the amount of money you can withdraw (mine is $500), and that limit isn't really a large amount of cash.

So it should be no surprise to people living here that our justice system oversteps many boundaries. One of those I think we can all agree on are Civil Forfeitures. Billions are collected and most of the time the forces get to keep the money. 40% of people who try to get their funds back do not.

There was one case where a guy was traveling with 20k in cash to buy a car he was driving to. He had the active bid going and was heading there, the police didn't put it in his report, and took the money saying people don't travel with this much money. Another case a father gave his son I believe $2400 as start up money when he was moving to california. As he was driving he was pulled over and his money taken as the officer decided it was for drugs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...top-and-seize/

If that wasn't bad enough police can take your house without proving you guilty of any crime.

http://www.businessinsider.com/supre...eiture-2014-11

In another an art gallery had "funk night" where 40 or so cars were seized because it was considered a crime to drive to a place that didn't have a liquor license, and so the cars were taken. What is the rational here?

http://oaklandcounty115.com/2012/12/...-raid-victims/

Now they did come to a resolution on that, but it shouldn't have been able to happen in the first place.

And what restrictions are put on these?:

Pennies from heaven, to buy toys!! Like a Zamboni, for no purpose..

In Texas one department spent the money on things needed for office parties. Office parties...

You can be driving with 2k to buy something and it could become heavenly pennies for some little piggies.

Luckily, I use cards for everything.
    Honestly I am fine with it as long as they aren't buying margarita machines.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Honestly I am fine with it as long as they aren't buying margarita machines.
    That's pretty much what they are doing, so I hope you meant it as a joke.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    That's pretty much what they are doing, so I hope you meant it as a joke.
    “That’s true,” Oliver deadpanned. “In Texas they bought a margarita machine. They were literally using this money as their own personal slush fund.”
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/j...f-to-buy-toys/