Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How bad will launch of WoD be/

I wasn't around for the launch of MoP so i don't know how smooth it went. I was around for Cataclysm, WotLK and BC and I can only remember TBC launch being terrible. However, when I asked in general chat in Blasted Lands as I was doing the quests on an alt, someone mentioned they expect the servers to crash constantly. Was this a problem in MoP?

No it wasn't a problem in MoP, but just because there were relatively few problems in MoP doesn't mean that WoD will be flawless.

However, it's my personal opinion that the launch should be fine. Since you don't have to log off and back on anymore, it eliminates a ton of problems.

Low population servers will probably have a good time. Servers issues will probably occur from time to time, but nothing too serious.

The high population servers are a whole different story though. Can probably expect lots of server crashes, very long queues for few months, and some serious questing bottlenecks with the amount of people who'll be around.

Literally had 0 problems during MoP Launch, people are just overexerting when they say it was as bad as older expansions. It should be fine.

My realm was full, and when I got to jade forest nothing loaded.
    Is tanaan intro instanced?

MoP was before they started merging severs, so I am not sure how much value the smoothness of the MoP launch will have in WoD.

The server I am on crashes a few times a day right now. And as far as launches go all has been well until MOP, super lag!!!

The server handled MoP fairly well, but there were some big problems. There were a number of quests that would become an absolute brick wall for players to complete. On the Alliance end one of the first leading in quests required you to shoot at a ship from an on rail flying vehicle. The spawn rate was nowhere near enough to compensate for the player density to handle causing a monstrous clusterfuck. The Pandaren starting zone had the infamous burn the scroll quest which could only be done by one player at a time and the quest before THAT had the ember that you could not always get. There was another quests in the Jade Forest where people actually got in a freaking queue just to complete it. If too many people crowded around it, no one could finish it.

tl;dr They seem to have a good handle on server stability now a days, but they are still prone to poor planning and human error. We can only hope they learned from their mistakes this time and plan ahead for the initial tidal waves of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Literally had 0 problems during MoP Launch, people are just overexerting when they say it was as bad as older expansions. It should be fine.
    It has improved a lot, but jam packed servers will probably have problems. Too many people trying to log on will cause inevitable hiccups. Most servers should be fine though.

I honestly don't look forward to the first few days... with CRZ introduced there's going to be a shit load of people, I'll just wait past the weekend to let the masses get through... then I can happily quest away with lesser competition past that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember some of the initial WotLK quests being terribly packed. Mainly the ones with a quest boss to kill but since the changes to quest boss tagging, anyone who hits it gets credit, I think WoD will be fine.

In EU they will patch on wednesday and unlock the new zones at midnight (thursday). This will spread out the amount of people in new content considerably.

10+ Year Old Account
    only issue will be 1000+ people ques which is always an issue first few weeks of expacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmar View Post
    My realm was full, and when I got to jade forest nothing loaded.
    Is tanaan intro instanced?
    As far as I know, yes, it's instanced. I participated in the stress test for Tanaan a few months back, and despite thousands of people talking to Khadgar at the same time, it seemed to split us into multiple copies of the zone. I didn't really have to fight for mobs or anything.

However, once you get to Shadowmoon or Frostfire, I imagine there will be loads of people again.

Uh, so, dunno what servers you guys play on, but my server lagged until 5 am (then I went to sleep), and crashed a few times in that span, due to the thousands of helicopters on the first quest. So uh... Yeah, if they don't have anything like that, then it should be ok at launch.

MoP was fine, granted I leveled on a bottom 20 raiding server, but I was able to play without any problems at midnight.

Would expect the same to happen here, even though I'm not playing til 5 PM on Thursday night.

it'll be fine.

think about it - the same or better hardware and half the players. probably be smooth like a smooth thing

From what i saw on the starting zone stress test there was no issues at all. They were using some kind of phasing system and there was pretty much no people around me. No zone lag, no monster camping.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They've been pretty solid about it since Cataclysm. If anything. it's the pre-patch which generally creates most of the issues since that's when all the changes are handled.

Latency spikes to be expected but nothing to really be concerned about.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Only problem i had at the start of mop as alliance was that stupid quest where you had to shoot the ship... must have been 200-300 people there and it just took forever to sink the ship

I expect a couple of early quests to be buggy due to the number of people trying at the same time, but as that thins out, it will be fine.