Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post
    Low population servers will probably have a good time. Servers issues will probably occur from time to time, but nothing too serious.

The high population servers are a whole different story though. Can probably expect lots of server crashes, very long queues for few months, and some serious questing bottlenecks with the amount of people who'll be around.
    This sounds fairly accurate.

Assuming the launch itself goes off well (and that is a BIG assumption) you still have problems that boil down to simple math.

Just imagine most of the server trying to do the exact same quests, from the same givers, collecting the same things, killing the same quest mobs. It'll be a cluster-frig.

I plan on leveling one of my low-level toons for the first few days, while the intro-zones for WoD clear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post
    Low population servers will probably have a good time. Servers issues will probably occur from time to time, but nothing too serious.

The high population servers are a whole different story though. Can probably expect lots of server crashes, very long queues for few months, and some serious questing bottlenecks with the amount of people who'll be around.
    Low population servers don't exist anymore. Blizz forced all realms to be high pop now. Can't wait to be questing in the same zone as 1000 other people. Going to be so fun, all the latency, all the lag, all the waiting on mobs to spawn. Good luck to anybody hoping to actually level gathering professions.

All I can hope for is to get there super early with a guild group and plow through the first zone and get ahead of the rest of the mass of players. Blizz wants us to take our time, but that would mean being swept away in the ocean of other players also 'taking their time'. Unless you speed ahead or wait a week for it to calm down, you are going to meet this fate.

But hey, all of that will be fun because blizzard said so and blizzard knows that the more players there are packed into a zone, the more fun it is to play in that zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Literally had 0 problems during MoP Launch, people are just overexerting when they say it was as bad as older expansions. It should be fine.
    MoP launch was before connected realms were implemented. My realm was fairly full for cata and mop launch. Now its going to be my realm and four other realms (ALL of which are dominated by the opposite faction, GG on faction balance blizz). Unless blizz somehow takes the high road and instances draenor for only your realm in the first few days or week, I expect at least 200 names on my screen at quest hubs and at least 20 or so other players on any given quest at one time.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Icemix View Post
    I expect Silvermoon (EU) to be terrible. We have lag in shrine and major cities since 6.0, queues for about 2 weeks i think and it just seems to get worse by the day
    are we able to party up with people from other servers and mooch off of their smooth, less populated world?

Silvermoon is ridiculous lol, reminds me of frostmourne US.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I wasn't around for the launch of MoP so i don't know how smooth it went. I was around for Cataclysm, WotLK and BC and I can only remember TBC launch being terrible. However, when I asked in general chat in Blasted Lands as I was doing the quests on an alt, someone mentioned they expect the servers to crash constantly. Was this a problem in MoP?
    All WoW launches have been great.

The biggest issue was a month after the classic went out, the servers went to crap because of over population.

Things will be fine.

MOP was fine based on my experience. I was on Oceanic Saurfang Server. Even cataclysm was generally smooth. Only issue I had was bunch of buggy quests that couldn't be done due to phasing problem. I believe it will be fine. But yes High Pop servers will have a tougher time.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Low population servers don't exist anymore. Blizz forced all realms to be high pop now. Can't wait to be questing in the same zone as 1000 other people. Going to be so fun, all the latency, all the lag, all the waiting on mobs to spawn. Good luck to anybody hoping to actually level gathering professions.

All I can hope for is to get there super early with a guild group and plow through the first zone and get ahead of the rest of the mass of players. Blizz wants us to take our time, but that would mean being swept away in the ocean of other players also 'taking their time'. Unless you speed ahead or wait a week for it to calm down, you are going to meet this fate.

But hey, all of that will be fun because blizzard said so and blizzard knows that the more players there are packed into a zone, the more fun it is to play in that zone!

MoP launch was before connected realms were implemented. My realm was fairly full for cata and mop launch. Now its going to be my realm and four other realms (ALL of which are dominated by the opposite faction, GG on faction balance blizz). Unless blizz somehow takes the high road and instances draenor for only your realm in the first few days or week, I expect at least 200 names on my screen at quest hubs and at least 20 or so other players on any given quest at one time.
    Dead realms are still dead though basically. Have you ever been on a large server? It's not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    What was the issue, because no one I know or have heard about couldn't play for eight hours. That's an incredible amount of time...
    I have a feeling this was not related to the servers.
    Maybe it was my internet, maybe not. I know is that my friends also had huge lags, though. I remember that as horde it took 40 min atleast to get past the very first quest (where you have to shoot like 40 alliance soldiers etc) and when you swing down the rope afterwards, it lagged out, so when i logged back in i just fell down to my death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    I honestly don't look forward to the first few days... with CRZ introduced there's going to be a shit load of people, I'll just wait past the weekend to let the masses get through... then I can happily quest away with lesser competition past that.
    There's no CRZ in Draenor.

Quote Originally Posted by Icemix View Post
    I expect Silvermoon (EU) to be terrible. We have lag in shrine and major cities since 6.0, queues for about 2 weeks i think and it just seems to get worse by the day
    Very nice server to play on DURING the expansion, but at start, I doubt I will bother to try to logon for a week or so

I'll just be mucking around on the horde side of things in Vek'nilash. I would expect some queues on first evenings, but it smooths out rather quickly.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

there is no CRZ in current content zones.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkR View Post
    The server handled MoP fairly well, but there were some big problems. There were a number of quests that would become an absolute brick wall for players to complete. On the Alliance end one of the first leading in quests required you to shoot at a ship from an on rail flying vehicle. The spawn rate was nowhere near enough to compensate for the player density to handle causing a monstrous clusterfuck. The Pandaren starting zone had the infamous burn the scroll quest which could only be done by one player at a time and the quest before THAT had the ember that you could not always get. There was another quests in the Jade Forest where people actually got in a freaking queue just to complete it. If too many people crowded around it, no one could finish it.

tl;dr They seem to have a good handle on server stability now a days, but they are still prone to poor planning and human error. We can only hope they learned from their mistakes this time and plan ahead for the initial tidal waves of players.
    their was the quest with the statue to break in jade forest, alone, it was impossible to do, having a group was the only solution to this

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be interesting to say the least.

I'll be on though in case it goes smooth. They have definitely learned over the years so I can see it going pretty well.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I had no issues, actually I can't recall any serious issues since TBC launch which was horrible and I think they took the servers down for 2-3 to fix it - yes it will probably be somewhat laggy and a lot of people fighting over the same mobs but nothing too serious.

You clearly didn't play at the TBC launch.
    TBC launch was fine for Icecrown.

Some of the data centers had big problems, I played that entire week no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmar View Post
    My realm was full, and when I got to jade forest nothing loaded.
    Is tanaan intro instanced?
    I believe tanaan is split horde/alliance. After leveling 3 characters through on pve leveling beta I saw nobody from the other faction

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by savutitus View Post
    Dunno but on MoP launch on Hellfire-EU, 2 thirds of the players were stuck on the flying ship at the intro quest, due to lag. That's why I'm gonna avoid launch night this time.
    2 thirds were stuck on that quest, last third was smart enough to skip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Mists was flawless at launch for me, so I have no reason to expect anything less from WOD.

The worst expansion by far in regards to stability was BC, I crashed, locked, dc'd, fell through the world, lagged, etc more in that expansion's first week than in every other expansion launch combined.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

So are there any major bottleneck areas in the first [Horde] zone we should be aware of?

Don't want to get stuck in another helicopter quest bottleneck.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Playing on a high population realm, I've already seen a few login queues during the last week, so I am expecting the launch to be pretty bad, when it comes to that.
    Luckily I've got an alt on a lower population realm, that I'll probably start off with instead.