View Poll Results: Is alpha male lifestyle under attack?

Voters
154. This poll is closed
  • Yes, men and/or alpha males are under attack.

49 31.82%
  • No, men and/or alpha males aren't under attack.

90 58.44%
  • Undecided.

15 9.74%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Of course Obama is more beta male than alpha male. That is how he wants it though. He wouldn't of been elected if he was an alpha male type.
    Betas aren't elected to office. You only see alphas and more motivated omegas. Obama is going to be closer to George Washington than he is Hercules, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to have an alpha personality type.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Doesn't bitching about your state of being, automatically remove you from being an alpha? Can you imagine an alpha male whining about feminists?
    Well... he considers "gamers" being given a bad rep a sign of "alpha" culture being attacked when gaming has been under threat FROM the "Alpha" culture pretty much since it's existence. Sure things have improved lately but not to that extent. Non-serious thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Well... he considers "gamers" being given a bad rep a sign of "alpha" culture being attacked when gaming has been under threat FROM the "Alpha" culture pretty much since it's existence. Sure things have improved lately but not to that extent. Non-serious thread.
    That's as warped as thinking presidents are not alpha... Gamers have never been alpha... Not saying some can't be, but that is not a generalization I ever heard.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Not really, since it doesn't take into account the office holder's personality.
    I thought we were talking cultural roles not personal qualities. Qualifying for Greek letters is more complicated than I thought, think I'll stick to Myers-Briggs. 4 Roman characters > 1 Greek one.

I used to think that "hamburgers" were pretty silly, but to be fair, I also think french fries are silly too. These past few months I have come to notice that hamburgers and burger culture in general seems to come under attack constantly from potato wedges. It doesn't really bother me that some french fries don't want ketchup laid out for them and stuff like that, but it does bother me when I see cheeseburger lifestyle being attacked.

A prime example of cheeseburger lifestyle being attacked by potato wedges is the gradual move by these groups to ban maple syrup and rocket launchers. Another example is that the term "enormous" (which can apply to both genders) is being given a bad name. Not only that, but anyone who dares stand up for our allies (Hotdogs and Fried Chicken) is immediately called "pretty fat." Tang and saltiness seem to be viewed as yummy by these people.

Do you believe that hamburgers and/or cheeseburger lifestyle is under attack?
    "Good ol Vanilla Enhancement Shamans. The walking slot machine."

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Betas aren't elected to office. You only see alphas and more motivated omegas. Obama is going to be closer to George Washington than he is Hercules, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to have an alpha personality type.
    I wasn't saying that Obama does not have any alpha male attributes. He has some, he is certainly very confident and arrogant. When we are comparing to Putin though, we have to be honest, he has a very different personality. Putin is clearly an alpha male type.

I wasn't saying that Obama does not have any cheeseburger attributes. He has some, he is certainly very tender and juicy. When we are comparing to Putin though, we have to be incredibly brilliant, he has a very different taste. Putin is clearly a cheeseburger type.
    Rephrased for better accuracy.

Knowing when to hold your tongue instead of ripping someones head off of their shoulders doesn't make anyone less of a man. That makes someone a civilized man. So if you are asserting the hypothesis that real men let their strength do the talking instead of their words, then "real" men have been under attack since Gilgamesh civilized Enkidu. The idea that physical strength alone makes you an alpha male is laughable. Your idea of an alpha male lifestyle is under attack by actual alpha males who realize that times move forward, and society must change. Oh, and this may come as a surprise, but you can be an alpha male, and a feminist at the same time, they are not mutually exclusive. Being a feminist means you believe both genders are equal as people. Being an alpha means people follow your lead. Nobody smokes anymore. I don't. It still pisses me off a bit that you can't smoke in bars where I live, even though I don't, but the fact remains that smoking is on the decline. People like to rally against firearms, and I believe that they should be registered about the same way cars are, IE "You pay to register each an every one, but you can own what ever and how ever many you like." Israel has always been a hard case to stand up for, but if you aren't facing opposition, you aren't really standing up for someone. Putin is doing what he is, because he doesn't think Europe will do anything, not america. He thinks america is stretched too thin, too broke and war weary to do anything about him. Also that whole risk nuclear war thing might play into it a bit. As for gamers, if you were an alpha male, you wouldn't care what other people thought of you, you would do what you wanted to do because you wanted to. I'm a gamer, have been for decades (I am getting a bit long in the tooth). I've also fought wars, stood up against campus rape, told off bosses for stupid decisions (generally diplomatically), and lived through feast and famine. I think the term alpha male is a misnomer, and that you should stand up for what YOU believe is right, and let your mind be tempered by logical and consistent evidence presented in a calm and rational manner.

TL;DR If you are worried that your alpha male lifestyle is under attack, don't worry. You aren't an alpha male.
    Edited for spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a huge fan of fried chicken myself, but recognize both fried chicken AND cheeseburgers aren't exactly healthy.

I don't even know what that would translate to for the alpha/beta debate

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't saying that Obama does not have any alpha male attributes. He has some, he is certainly very confident and arrogant. When we are comparing to Putin though, we have to be honest, he has a very different personality. Putin is clearly an alpha male type.
    What makes Putin an alpha?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by bluelegend View Post
    I used to think that "hamburgers" were pretty silly, but to be fair, I also think french fries are silly too. These past few months I have come to notice that hamburgers and burger culture in general seems to come under attack constantly from potato wedges. It doesn't really bother me that some french fries don't want ketchup laid out for them and stuff like that, but it does bother me when I see cheeseburger lifestyle being attacked.

A prime example of cheeseburger lifestyle being attacked by potato wedges is the gradual move by these groups to ban maple syrup and rocket launchers. Another example is that the term "enormous" (which can apply to both genders) is being given a bad name. Not only that, but anyone who dares stand up for our allies (Hotdogs and Fried Chicken) is immediately called "pretty fat." Tang and saltiness seem to be viewed as yummy by these people.

Do you believe that hamburgers and/or cheeseburger lifestyle is under attack?
    Wtf, you make way more sense than OP, you are in the wrong thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    Get psychological help.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Joking aside, he is a much stronger and more capable leader than president Obama. He also isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes in.
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2014-11-12 at 06:30 AM.

Taking his shirt off! KGB. I'm willing to put him in the octagon with Obama and let them decide though. Whoever taps or gets knocked out is the beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    [img]http://www.sickandwrongpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Putin-rides-a-bear.jpg[/img
    That's a pretty narrow definition of alpha...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Ukraine myself, but recognize both Ukraine AND alpha males aren't exactly healthy.

I don't even know what that would translate to for the cheese/fry debate
    Now you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking his shirt off! KGB. I'm willing to put him in the octagon with Obama and let them decide though. If you get knocked out you are a beta.
    Taking a shirt of and being part of an autharitarian, oppressive, secrete police? If winning a fight makes you an alpha, where does bitching about losing a fight place you?

"alpha male lifestyle"

Often translates to: I'm insecure and I need to show off.

Ugh I miss Alamo.

If winning a fight makes you an alpha, where does bitching about losing a fight place you?
    Winning a fight is arguably the most defining trait of an alpha. If you lose you are the beta regardless of anything.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-11-12 at 06:29 AM.