Heeeelllpppppp with internet speed !!

Hi im in the process of a move and have recently found out the area doesn't supply fibre optic broadband instead its a 20 meg phone line ?
    im curious to anyone who is using or has used 20 meg for playing wow/gaming in general and how was it?
    Any info or help is appreciated and no the dongle packages are terrible also checked, thanks a lot guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    20 meg is fantastic.

It'll feel like hell dropping down from fibre optic initially, especially when downloading large files, but you'll have no issues with streaming HD videos, playing WoW and FPS games and whatever else. You'll see download speeds in the region of 2.2MB/s.

Sure it's not fibre, but it's absolutely not bad at all. (maybe if you want to upload/stream, but that's about it, depends on what your up is)

Damn going from 100mb to this seems like its going to be god damn awful

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. 20 meg is absolutely fine for gaming, far more than enough (you can game on 10) it's more your ping you should be worried about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell, I've gamed on WoW with a 2 meg line. Just goes to shit if you try to do anything else like watch iplayer or youtube

10+ Year Old Account
    20 mbit is fine for gaming. Slightly slow downloads but as long as you actually get what you are paying for there should be no major issues.

how is the ping around that speed ? and what should i expect to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Xullton View Post
    how is the ping around that speed ? and what should i expect to see?
    Bandwidth speed and latency (ping) don't have an effect on one another. You're not going to know until you use it.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-11-15 at 06:23 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I think someone is trolling for Americans.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I had 3-6 MB/s for like 8 years...on a stock computer.

so im guessing it still should be quite low on the ms and that i shouldnt worry ?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    so im guessing it still should be quite low on the ms and that i shouldnt worry ?
    It will depend on how far away you are from the exchange.

But generally, even if the internet is slow and you're close, you will still have good MS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

Deleted
    went from 1gbps fibre to 15/5 vdsl for a week and didn't notice any difference when gaming except for downloading (felt like middle ages again). you can still watch 1080p/60 streams with no issues and ping should be like 5-10ms higher at most.

I'll repeat myself:

Bandwidth speed and latency do not have an effect on one another. You won't know your latency to certain servers until you try the connection yourself. We don't have a crystal ball that tells us how congested the local CO station will be, your home's wiring quality, your neighborhood wiring quality or how well the ISP will route your traffic.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Phone lines can't really compete with fibre optic when it comes to latency. You will get higher latency, but gaming online will probably still be just fine.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW plays normally on anything over a 1mbit line. It actually uses very little bandwidth. I used a 1.5mbit only a few years back (2011?) and it was fine. They upgraded to 3, then 10, and now I'm at 25... But again... anything over 1 is fine for WoW. Even if you use youtube and other stuff, 3-10 is still fine.

The whole idea that you "need a 50mbit connection" to use the internet these days is just marketing. The only thing a fast connection helps with is downloading crap faster.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    A fibre connection is bound to have lower ping but it isn't that relevant to bandwidth. You will be fine though, that is unless you consider pings in the area of 60-70 unplayable which is a likely point where you will end up.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    A fibre connection is bound to have lower ping but it isn't that relevant to bandwidth. You will be fine though, that is unless you consider pings in the area of 60-70 unplayable which is a likely point where you will end up.
    This isn't necessarily true, lots of fiber is still based on PPoE going through the same old CO stations that DSL users use. Not to mention the vast majority of household fiber installs transition to MOCA at some point, negating any marginal latency gains from fiber over cable.

build pics

Thanks for all the replies guys many thanks, Im at least a bit more optimistic than I was 4 hours ago :P
    I mean who wants a laggy tank in there raids haha.