Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    There's many sorts of encryption systems. Some are shitty. Personally I wouldn't hold Apple on some pedestal when it comes to software; especially security.
    So, to stop blanket surveillance from our government, which has no right to do so, we should get programs to encrypt it? Weren't people just complaining in the "Civil forfetiure" thread about having to do things in order to protect your legal rights from the police? How is this any different? Because its higher up then just a cop on the street?

Please, explain.
    You're a towel.

Well the Jews didn't do anything wrong in Germany. So it's all right if Government workers come in to inspect your personal things.

As Stalin rightly said... "Show me the man, and I'll show you the crime"

So get an encrypted link. In this tenuous comparison that's analogous to drawing the shades.
    There's many sorts of encryption systems. Some are shitty. Personally I wouldn't hold Apple on some pedestal when it comes to software; especially security.
    Do you not realize how ridiculous you are being? Oh, get it encrypted. It is? Oh, well get better encryption, people shouldn't respect your privacy, you have to lock yourself in lead-lined sound-proof room for privacy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Do you not realize how ridiculous you are being? Oh, get it encrypted. It is? Oh, well get better encryption, people shouldn't respect your privacy, you have to lock yourself in lead-lined sound-proof room for privacy!
    Transmitting unsecured data in every direction has no reasonable expectation of privacy. The courts tend to agree. It is the legal equivalent to having a conversation in a public domain. Because that's exactly what the air between your phone and the cell tower is.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-11-14 at 05:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Transmitting unsecured data in every direction has no reasonable expectation of privacy. The courts tend to agree.
    Except it does not matter if the data is "Secure" in this, as it tricks the phone into thinking it is just another cell phone tower..did you even read either article linked?

- - - Updated - - -

Like..they are having problems with random peoples phones thinking they are real towers, leading to dropped calls. Interfering with 911 is a legit concern because phones don't know the difference in these fake and real towers...
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Except it does not matter if the data is "Secure" in this, as it tricks the phone into thinking it is just another cell phone tower..did you even read either article linked?

- - - Updated - - -

Like..they are having problems with random peoples phones thinking they are real towers, leading to dropped calls. Interfering with 911 is a legit concern because phones don't know the difference in these fake and real towers...
    Probably because Apple devs are morons that fail security 101 (fappening anyone?) and probably just transmit over the key for everyone to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    The interception of any radiation on the electromagnetic spectrum that requires the use of any technology to achieve should require a search warrant. The automated collection of any data should require a search warrant. The loss of privacy should NOT be accepted by the masses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Transmitting unsecured data in every direction has no reasonable expectation of privacy. The courts tend to agree. It is the legal equivalent to having a conversation in a public domain. Because that's exactly what the air between your phone and the cell tower is.
    While true for things like CB radios GSM is a mobile encryption standard thats used by more than 3/4ths of cell phones world wide if i remember right.
    You can legally listen in on encrypted static sure, but decrypting them is whats against the law(unless you are the law then you are above it...sadly)
    Sadly its easily hacked(decrypted) but hey

Edit
    Ehh gsm was the start of all of it not encryption specific lol...
    Last edited by Christan; 2014-11-14 at 06:11 AM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if they are actually spying on all these people then how come they still have a hard time finding fugitives and taking down crime rings?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    So if they are actually spying on all these people then how come they still have a hard time finding fugitives and taking down crime rings?
    Because some fugitives are intelligent enough to take steps to mitigate this, and any moderately intelligent crime rings actively take steps to mitigate this.

If you're really paranoid about this, look up Wickr.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    So...don't be a criminal then? Don't plot terrorism? I mean really you whingers and traitors all bitch and moan that you're oppressed til the cows come home but when the government does anything REMOTELY 'oppressive' (such as watching to see if you talk about breaking the law, the horror, right)...you absolutely lose your minds. Either you're not actually oppressed and you're just criminals that are looking to hide behind the very laws you break or you are sooks that look for something to be a victim of. Either way I'm glad they're doing it and hope it has results. If anything, the only criticism I have of such methods is that they don't have the results you'd expect.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are whiners and traitors for not wanting the government to spy on innocent people. Ok then.

- - - Updated - - -

You clearly have no idea what "rights" are, I suggest maybe reading up on it or something.

Not everyone that would rather not be spied on is a terrorist, we have these crazy things called "rights" in this country.
    You're a towel.

This is yet another example of why I have contempt for everyone working in intelligence these days. The network they've constructed is absurdly expensive, shows little or nothing in the way of positive outcomes, and is turnkey operation for any potentially unpleasant future governance.

Deleted
    I dont know... that method seems very 1990's

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    Presumptuous much?
    is it true though?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I'm just going to start Googleing "How to make a bomb" daily and wait for the cavalry to arrive.
    tried it - doesnt work

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I dont know... that method seems very 1990's
    explain yourself boy

10+ Year Old Account
    So, to stop blanket surveillance from our government, which has no right to do so, we should get programs to encrypt it? Weren't people just complaining in the "Civil forfetiure" thread about having to do things in order to protect your legal rights from the police? How is this any different? Because its higher up then just a cop on the street?

Please, explain.
    I recently had a conversation about how law and liberty in the US is increasingly coming to resemble "magic". If you want to get the protection of the your legal rights, you need to know the right magic incantations, or the police don't have to actually acknowledge them. If you want private communications, you'd better have the right spell on your phone, or the government can just listen in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is yet another example of why I have contempt for everyone working in intelligence these days. The network they've constructed is absurdly expensive, shows little or nothing in the way of positive outcomes, and is turnkey operation for any potentially unpleasant future governance.
    You're speaking as though those are unintended outcomes; it's becoming increasingly clear that they aren't - they're the point.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

All of this is the result of advancements in communication technologies...the more convenient they become by using electronic signals, the easier they will be to intercept. Until the general population is ready to give up this convenience (it won't ), this type of reality will exist. Oh...and I would quite confidently guess that this type of thing happens in EVERY government around the world, with varying degrees of effectiveness of course.

We are whiners and traitors for not wanting the government to spy on innocent people. Ok then.

- - - Updated - - -

You clearly have no idea what "rights" are, I suggest maybe reading up on it or something.

Not everyone that would rather not be spied on is a terrorist, we have these crazy things called "rights" in this country.
    can you give a logical reason rather than an emotional one

aka why? not just cause you feel like it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post

You're speaking as though those are unintended outcomes; it's becoming increasingly clear that they aren't - they're the point.
    meh even if there are no positive outcomes as you claim they learn a lot from all this that can be applied to future scenarios. so, good for them i say. carry on

10+ Year Old Account
    Transmitting unsecured data in every direction has no reasonable expectation of privacy.
    Rukentuts and I don't often agree on anything, but this is exactly right in all honesty. To say that what is willfully publically disseminated should require a warrant to access is the equivalent of me writing on the front wall of my home and then insisting that no one should look at it or read it despite the fact that I willfully and publically displayed it for viewing by anyone who wished to do so. It doesn't make any sense. Beyond that, there is no constitutional protection for such. Signals are neither person nor papers, and simply receiving signals that someone else is broadcasting of their own free will cannot be said to be a search or seizure.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2014-11-14 at 04:49 PM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't they just demand the information from providers, as they did around the time of Patriot Act passing?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi