Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Cable TV costs so much (in theory) due to the need to fund television programs. Not really the same thing.
    Nonsense. TV has advertising to fund the creation of TV programs. That's how TV always worked when TV was broadcast, before the creation of cable. Cable TV is having its cake and eating it too. Netflix and HBO both manage to put out extremely high quality programming without advertising.

Besides, the comparison was in regards to entertainment value to me, not the actual cost of production.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Nonsense. TV has advertising to fund the creation of TV programs. That's how TV always worked when TV was broadcast, before the creation of cable. Cable TV is having its cake and eating it too. Netflix and HBO both manage to put out extremely high quality programming without advertising.

Besides, the comparison was in regards to entertainment value to me, not the actual cost of production.
    That's why I said 'in theory'. Originally cable was ad-free too.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Which is why I am in favor of the government regulating ISP as far as net neutrality (all traffic treated the same), but Im NOT in favor of the government taking over the internet and making it a federal utility, because then they will be able to censor the web, much like China, NK, and Iran do
    This agency here works as a supervising authority only. They do not actively interact with the market, they merely check that no monopoly is formed and that things like net neutrality and proper market rules are enforced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Not that I don't believe you, but where has it actually been proven that this is the plan for the "fast lane" proposal?
    Common sense? Companies will fuck everyone over if they can. That's like the law of gravity. It's pretty much forced upon them by their shareholders, their entire business model. Haven't you heard? Samaritarians aren't high on the To Hire list.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Without wanting to sound too callous but this is a US only issue (at the moment) right?
    It's not. If net neutrality falls in one place, it falls everywhere. It's just a question of time. The concept of net neutrality seems to work because everyone does it and nobody is taking an extra piece of the pie. Once the US companies grab what they can, you can bet your life savings that at least the German Telekom is going to follow up on that. They're poking at the system enough as it is, secretly choking Youtube and similar sites, creating weird new business models in their new contracts and so on...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Freedomworks hmm, reminds me of the not holy, not roman and not empire holy roman empire.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I remember seeing a chart of all Internet traffic, Netflix was a huge part of that. Why can't ISPs take steps to reign in the largest source of bandwidth?

It's not going to affect me one way or another because I have a crappy connection but it seems that consumers want their cake and want to eat it too or however that expression goes.
    Why should they? If a low bandwidth company like "ponyfansforlife.com" pays 1 dollar per gbit traffic outbound and Netflix pays 1 dollar per gbit traffic outbound, they're both treated equally. But since the pony site has perhaps 1 gig total per month, they'll pay 1 dollar... Netflix with their pentabytes per months pays a multitude of that. It is fair to both and everyone is paying according to the usage they have.

Why exactly is it fair to make Netflix pay extra because they already pay more than everyone else? How's that a legit thing to do?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    NBC owned Comcast holds over a 5th of cable market share. Is this where NBC controlling their access to Fox News becomes a good thing?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember seeing a chart of all Internet traffic, Netflix was a huge part of that. Why can't ISPs take steps to reign in the largest source of bandwidth?
    You seem to think that Netflix is just spewing data out at random, rather than that data being requested by the customers of the ISPs.

You don't reign in usage of bandwidth. You expand to accommodate it.

Why do we call it "net neutrality" when the "Netflix Protection Act" is a much more accurate name?
    Because it also protects anyone else that draws the ire of the ISPs/media companies for daring to compete with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Whole thing wouldn't be an issue if these US companies did their work and built things called...infrastructure.
    That's not their work. Their work is to collect as much money as possible. Spending money on building infrastructure cuts into that and thus is avoided as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i think our bill is 100 a month for 1.09mbps upload and 16.26 mbps download speed.
    If I lived in the city, I could get 100mb/20mb fibre for that much, including static IP.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Phrase it better, then.
    It was phrased just fine, Everybody BUT you, understood it.

only from the sound of her voice....