Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMethod View Post
    They should just force-split the servers into two servers. The highest population servers should have never been allowed to get that crowded.

Look at Realmpop data. The highest population servers are FAR more populated than the vast majority of other servers. I get that people want to hang out together, and go where the crowd goes. But they should have been completely locked long ago.
    There's a reason why high population servers are that way. Force splitting them would cause a shitstorm about as large as the one going on now and really for no good reason.

Anyone joining up with a high pop realm needs to understand that while it's awesome to be on a realm that is as busy as that it's going to come with some downsides. It really is a choice, one I made a few years ago when I took the chance to migrate off of a crowded server onto something much less busy. Never regretted it and haven't had a great deal of problems with this launch either.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

It's funny, their little maintenance message says "During this time, the game will be unplayable". However, it's already unplayable, during this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    don't want to attack you, but that's what beta is for ......
    Beta doesn't cause network and realm loads like this worldwide.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Beta doesn't cause network and realm loads like this worldwide.
    That's what stress testing is for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefatness View Post
    That's what stress testing is for.
    Stress testing is never going to replicate a live environment, especially this one since what Blizzard has going is fairly unique. To properly stress test an expansion like this, Blizzard would need to replicate their entire network of realms and support services across the United States, Europe and Oceanic. Then everyone would have to stop playing on live and go stress test. People really need to think through what stress testing a network of several hundred realms would be like. And stress testing of this size has nothing at all to do with beta.

Would any game studio pay to do that for a game this size when they can work out any problems over a few days at launch? No. Theory is fine but real world practicality will place constraints on theory every time.

Deleted
    https://twitter.com/BlizzardCSEU_EN/...90198516625408
    This might be what you're asking for, maybe.

Stress testing is never going to replicate a live environment, especially this one since what Blizzard has going is fairly unique. To properly stress test an expansion like this, Blizzard would need to replicate their entire network of realms and support services across the United States, Europe and Oceanic. Then everyone would have to stop playing on live and go stress test. People really need to think through what stress testing a network of several hundred realms would be like. And stress testing of this size has nothing at all to do with beta.

Would any game studio pay to do that for a game this size when they can work out any problems over a few days at launch? No. Theory is fine but real world practicality will place constraints on theory every time.
    Sure, stress testing doesn't replicate a live environment, but I'm pretty sure that it's possible to at least estimate how much stress there is going to be based on stress testing and the knowledge of how many people will be trying to play on the first day(cos, you know, they know exactly how many preorders were made)
    And they've launched expansions before, so they have the experience(which they even mention in the LFG documentary), and at the very least the last 2 didn't have issues anywhere near this magnitude.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2014-11-14 at 11:01 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Stress testing is never going to replicate a live environment
    i can replicate the garrison fiasco right on this paper I have here. It says: a totally fucking stupid idea. You've made this mistake before, don't do it again!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Do you guys make these suggestions because you are network admins for companies that usually have to serve millions of customers or where do these suggestions come from? I mean...do you honestly believe that Blizzard can't come up with these solutions?

- - - Updated - - -

...but when I google "zorkuss" it doesn't come up with any credibility in the realm of programming, developing games or...anything really? So why would anyone listen to you ladies?

Then again, if you are so savvy...why are you posting on this forum and not making a shitload of cash counselling companies?
    The way it's looking right now they quite clearly can't this time for whatever reason, even though they have both the experience and the money. And Zorkuus is completely right about them having made the mistake before, they even admitted that in the documentary they showed at Blizzcon, and yet they're making that mistake again now. Not to mention that people pointed the obvious bottlenecks out on beta as well, so they could've avoided the massive player concentration in that one area if they had actually listened to that feedback from beta.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2014-11-14 at 11:07 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...but when I google "zorkuss" it doesn't come up with any credibility in the realm of programming, developing games or...anything really? So why would anyone listen to you ladies?

Then again, if you are so savvy...why are you posting on this forum and not making a shitload of cash counselling companies?
    I don't need to be net tech savvy to know cramming everyone into the same small area isn't a good idea. You can see for yourself right now that it isn't a good idea. BLZ have said it themselves it's not a good idea. People told them in the beta it's not a good idea... but here we are, surprise?

1900 queue after 3 hours from a 4500 queue.

Deleted
    Unless this issue is a massive oversight from blizz and deeply seated in code or service structure. Turning off WoW wouldn't achieve a damn thing.
    All you would do is make 7million nerds really angry, they would be hanging on servers coming back up and a small portion of them would be ready to log in ASAP.

This would just stress the systems worse. They cannot make an easy fix to this. Once the hype fades and people stop panic logging it will all be fine.. The overwhelming support for the game is outstanding, underlying underinvestment in service capabilities is not.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMethod View Post
    They should just force-split the servers into two servers. The highest population servers should have never been allowed to get that crowded.

Look at Realmpop data. The highest population servers are FAR more populated than the vast majority of other servers. I get that people want to hang out together, and go where the crowd goes. But they should have been completely locked long ago.
    That's what you get when you still want to force realm based AH and guilds, people will naturally go somewhere with a decent population for their faction or else their gameplay gets ruined by not having guilds to join or players to recruit, and disastrous economies. Those two things are literally the only thing left that aren't cross-realm, it's time for those to change. Then they won't have a bunch of servers with wasted capacity and a bunch of others that are being strained.
    Last edited by Lesane; 2014-11-14 at 11:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exileos View Post
    This might be what you're asking for, maybe.
    Lets just hope they going to fix enough that it becomes playable.
    So many people took free from work/school etc.

They could have known what would happen.
    They know how many people bought the expansion!
    They know from prev expansions how many people would join.
    And since they claimed that they learn from the past I can only say they fucked up the code.

They literally can't just then off the servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Markred View Post
    Idk about you but once i get on the game usually works perfectly ( no lag )
    Not when your char is stuck in the Garrison area and he cant cast anything or move anywhere. Fuck Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zorkuus has a bit of a point in regards to cramming all people through the same path. After all, Blizzard has said in the past that Outland was pretty flawed in that Hellfire was the intro zone for both factions. Granted, Draenor isn't nearly as flawed since Alliance and Horde have different starting zones, but Garrisons managed to mess the whole thing up by being the one thing every character has to get through to even progress.

That's not to say I hate Garrisons as a feature. Not at all. I love it. When it actually works, that is. Still, it is the sole reason as to why questing has been such a pain in the ass. You have to avoid Shadowmoon like the plague as Alliance, which is pretty sad since I really enjoyed the zone once the lag started to disappear on my server (it appeared again, though).

I'm not sure if this would have helped the situation, but having Garrisons be any zone you like as it was originally planned might have been good way to avoid everyone trying to bombard the same area trying to get into it. Still, I am no tech expert, so it may not be an actual solution.

different realms have imbalanced H/A balancing. compared to in TBC. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    Agreed, but I feel like the more ignorant people will complain and stop playing. The majority of the players don't really think stuff through and would rather play in this unstable state than wait a day in order to play with much less issues.
    Many issues are only shown up by people playing, and some require far more numbers than the beta/ptr can provide.

Sometimes it just takes 1 person to do something specific, that wasn't anticipated by those testing by following the "rules".
    Testing if something works as it should be isn't just about doing it the right way.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are the queues bugged? Mine has been going up instead of down. No matter how many hours I'm in the queue.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!