Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lack of Teacher Diversity is disturbing

Yesterday evening,I was a part of a panel for my old academic advisor and friend back at junior college; he teaches a class for people about to become teachers.

The panel was about multicultural education, and the demographics (all white women) greatly disturbed me.

I'm not saying white women can't teach. However, I think they are naturally going to have a hard time reaching out to minority children. Here's why.

My old high school history teacher, Mrs Kard, used to say I was knowledgeable in history and always encouraged me. But for one reason or another, I always handwaved her notions and instead constantly called her "mami" and "Mrs Kardanshian". She could never make the connection with my old boneheaded misogynistic self. (She was a white woman)

Now, my old wrestling coach on the other hand, managed to reach me. He was able to train me from a dud to a stud on the mat and the wrestling field. He had me mind fucked. He told me to do something and I did it. He taught me a lot about individuality and to believe in oneself. I was born in a two career household and my dad worked all the time. My old coach/mentor was the one who taught me how to be a real man really.

The difference between my old coach/mentor and Mrs Kard? My old coach/mentor was a black man. When I think about it more, I realize how my most influential role models in my life are non-white. And while this may come from a interacial guy, if Booshman says i'm in a zebra squad, i'm the albino in that group. If this was the case for me, I wonder what it would be like for other minority that had it harder then I did and faced steeper socioeconomic obstacles

And there I sat in a panel, looking at a group of enthusiastic white women from rural Iowa believing they'll pull miracles in the few urban areas my state has. If those kids are anything like I was, they won't be able to reach them and possibly be objectified for being bootyful. We need more minority teachers that can better reach and relate to minority students.

At the end of the panel, one of them (an older woman) placed her hand on mine and essentially begged me to reconsider my current career path to become that guy. But I say no way Jose; I lack the patience.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2014-11-14 at 09:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once I saw "rural Iowa", I immediately thought, well there's your problem!

The schools I went to were pretty mixed as far as teachers. The black teachers seemed to range the most, you had the ones trying to be hip, the crazy black lady who ranted about Michael Jackson several days a week, the serious down to business older black guy, one of my favorite teachers and one of the toughest black retired army, he was serious and straight forward about his job with everyone he did not attempt to relate to certain groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost all of the teachers at my school were 40-60 year old white men. There were a few female teachers and I think one Asian chemistry teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Yesterday evening,I was a part of a panel for my old academic advisor and friend back at junior college; he teaches a class for people about to become teachers.

The panel was about multicultural education, and the demographics (all white women) greatly disturbed me.

I'm not saying white women can't teach. However, I think they are naturally going to have a hard time reaching out to minority children. Here's why.

My old high school history teacher, Mrs Kard, used to say I was knowledgeable in history and always encouraged me. But for one reason or another, I always handwaved her notions and instead constantly called her "mami" and "Mrs Kardanshian". She could never make the connection with my old boneheaded misogynistic self. (She was a white woman)

Now, my old wrestling coach on the other hand, managed to reach me. He was able to train me from a dud to a stud on the mat and the wrestling field. He had me mind fucked. He told me to do something and I did it. He taught me a lot about individuality and to believe in oneself. I was born in a two career household and my dad worked all the time. My old coach/mentor was the one who taught me how to be a real man really.

The difference between my old coach/mentor and Mrs Kard? My old coach/mentor was a black man. When I think about it more, I realize how my most influential role models in my life are non-white. And while this may come from a interacial guy, if Booshman says i'm in a zebra squad, i'm the albino in that group. If this was the case for me, I wonder what it would be like for other minority that had it harder then I did and faced steeper socioeconomic obstacles

And there I sat in a panel, looking at a group of enthusiastic white women from rural Iowa believing they'll pull miracles in the few urban areas my state has. If those kids are anything like I was, they won't be able to reach them and possibly be objectified for being bootyful. We need more minority teachers that can better reach and relate to minority students.

At the end of the panel, one of them (an older woman) placed her hand on mine and essentially begged me to reconsider my current career path to become that guy. But I say no way Jose; I lack the patience.
    I'd say that encouraging education is as much a cultural issue as much as anything else. If including more minority teachers in minority communities is the answer thats needed, then do it.

It's sad that it has to be broken down to a racial level, but at this point we need to consider un-PC solutions to the problem of getting underperforming kids to reach their potential.

Deleted
    Every teacher I had was a white middle aged man. But then I went to a private school that cost a lot of money. Money well spent my friend. well spent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'd say that encouraging education is as much a cultural issue as much as anything else. If including more minority teachers in minority communities is the answer thats needed, then do it.

It's sad that it has to be broken down to a racial level, but at this point we need to consider un-PC solutions to the problem of getting underperforming kids to reach their potential.
    Only problem is that when I do provide feedback to this soon to be teachers, they drool at me and wonder why i'm not taking their path. And it's not like I can tell them why I would never become a teacher. Someone needs to do it right?

Only problem is that when I do provide feedback to this soon to be teachers, they drool at me and wonder why i'm not taking their path. And it's not like I can tell them why I would never become a teacher. Someone needs to do it right?
    You're right, but you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. If you don't want to be a teacher, you wouldn't be doing any good going down that path.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    You're right, but you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. If you don't want to be a teacher, you wouldn't be doing any good going down that path.
    I imagine if my heart was there, i'd be a good teacher. And I don't air my dirty laundry or derail discussions into sex topics in RL, so other people say the same.

I just lack the patience for children, parents, regulation, no power but it's still my fault situations, and low pay.

I'd be miserable.

10+ Year Old Account

Well in order to fix that imbalance, you need more minorities deciding to become teachers. Are you gonna do it, Bigzo?

As a middle class white dude, I can't be of any help here.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-11-14 at 10:06 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I imagine if my heart was there, i'd be a good teacher. And I don't air my dirty laundry or derail discussions into sex topics in RL, so other people say the same.

I just lack the patience for children, parents, regulation, no power but it's still my fault situations, and low pay.

I'd be miserable.
    I hear ya brother, I have no tolerance for disrespectful kids, or kids with too much energy, let alone entitlement "my johnny can do no wrong" parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well in order to fix that imbalance, you need more minorities deciding to become teachers. Are you gonna do it, Bigzo?

As a middle class white dude, I can't be of any help here.
    I don't know at this point...honestly.

The pressure is mounting and SOOOO many people are saying I could make that difference and that, with my talent, that I should.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know at this point...honestly.

The pressure is mounting and SOOOO many people are saying I could make that difference and that, with my talent, that I should.
    Do what you want to do, not what others tell you is best. Talant is meaningless if you become a grump because you hate what you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Do what you want to do, not what others tell you is best. Talant is meaningless if you become a grump because you hate what you do.
    True, but I at least want to help with the problem. Human capital is a major obstacle for minority kids. And it's not like I don't care. This event along with a bunch of others was originally just to place on applications/resumes. However, I learned and bit and people kind of grew on me.

Maybe there's a middle ground. Maybe I can do something that isn't teaching but take a few under my wing in the future (think jedi/apprentice kind of deal)

I fail to see why it would make any difference whatsoever, unless the student is just being obtuse about not wanting to deal with whites. I never cared what race or gender any of my teachers were, only how they interacted with me and how they taught.

Diversity just for the sake of diversity is stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I fail to see why it would make any difference whatsoever, unless the student is just being obtuse about not wanting to deal with whites. I never cared what race any or gender any of my teachers were, only how they interacted with me and how they taught.

Well, sometimes it can help to deal with issues. A man isnt going to understand why I feel so bad i have to skip class due to my period. A woman is never going to know what its like to be ostracized for not having sex asap. ect...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I fail to see why it would make any difference whatsoever, unless the student is just being obtuse about not wanting to deal with whites. I never cared what race or gender any of my teachers were, only how they interacted with me and how they taught.

Sometimes just being able to relate makes all the difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    True, but I at least want to help with the problem. Human capital is a major obstacle for minority kids. And it's not like I don't care. This event along with a bunch of others was originally just to place on applications/resumes. However, I learned and bit and people kind of grew on me.

Maybe there's a middle ground. Maybe I can do something that isn't teaching but take a few under my wing in the future (think jedi/apprentice kind of deal)
    It would have been nice if the white lady teacher you were disrespecting pulled you aside and asked you why. Then proceeded to explain that most of the people in the country are white, and unless you want to be working a dead end job the rest of your life, you're going to have to deal with them. That learning to see white people as more than just "the enemy" is going to be important if you don't want that enemy to kick your ass the rest of your life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most of my teachers were white females, my favorite teacher was a white male. Not because he was male or white, but because he was so good. Thouh my school was pretty much white, so it was not so much a probelm. But demographics could be better.

And the black guy is the one who Bigzoman learned from? That explains a lot.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Most of my teachers were white females, my favorite teacher was a white male. Not because he was male or white, but because he was so good. Thouh my school was pretty much white, so it was not so much a probelm. But demographics could be better.

And the black guy is the one who Bigzoman learned from? That explains a lot.
    My teachers in K-12 were about 50-50 white males and females with a few random asians thrown in here or there. I don't recall ever having a black teacher, or even a latino or indian teacher, despite Silicon Valley being more Asian than anything with lots of latinos too.