How do you actually level professions these days?

I've gotten a ways into WoD as a leatherworker so far, and built the tannery building. I'm still only 602, though despite a big pile of leather I've got. I just don't really have anything that awards skill ups. The daily research does. And one other thing ... I think it requires some weirdo materials I've never seen yet.

I bought 2 recipes so far, the drums, and epic shoulders. The drums don't give a skill up, and the shoulders will take forever to save up 100 burnished leathers. Is it really supposed to be this slow to level professions?
    Last edited by solinari6; 2014-11-15 at 02:46 AM.

You need to use the Secrets to buy recipes for things you can use to skill up. No point in buying recipies for epics and stuff yet... in fact it seems to be a bit of a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    You need to use the Secrets to buy recipes for things you can use to skill up. No point in buying recipies for epics and stuff yet... in fact it seems to be a bit of a trap.
    Is there a list of which recipes I should be buying? I couldn't tell from the seller which ones would give me a skillup (or maybe I missed that?)

ah, great, thanks! Not sure why I didn't think of searching for that! Is it just me or is some of this stuff more confusing than Blizz normally does? This whole garrison/profession thing really needs to be explained more in game, imho

Also remember that there's no real rush to level to 700- you'll get more mats from your CDs, but no new recipes.

To level a profession to the max you need at least 20 days, lol.

Don't even pay attention to your LW skill. You can already make all the things.

Blizzard: Bosses now also have a chance to drop ponies! A pony makes your character better.
    Players: AAARGH ponies are RNG!
    Now it's even harder to be perfect. /unsub
    They should just make ponies baseline.
    LOL @ World of Ponycraft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    To level a profession to the max you need at least 20 days, lol.
    idd, and thats when you use the fastest possible way, for tailoring i can max it out in 22 days but then i loose out making the epic craftables which is very nice to have when you start up on raiding, since i can get my 3 craftable epics in about 18-20 days. they could certainly reduce the length of the work orders.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounder View Post
    Don't even pay attention to your LW skill. You can already make all the things.
    You receive more mats from your work orders, the higher your skill is. So it does matter.