Thread: Bed bugs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    Dont say stuff like that without explaining
    Scabies (from Latin: scabere, "to scratch"),[1] also known colloquially as the seven-year itch,[2] is a contagious skin infection caused by the mite Sarcoptes scabiei. The mite is a tiny, and usually not directly visible, parasite which burrows under the host's skin, which in most people causes an intense itching sensation caused by an allergic response. The infection in animals other than humans is caused by a different but related mite species, and is called sarcoptic mange.

Scabies is classified by the World Health Organization as a water-related disease.[3] The disease may be transmitted from objects, but is most often transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact, with a higher risk with prolonged contact. Initial infections require four to six weeks to become symptomatic. Reinfection, however, may manifest symptoms within as few as 24 hours. Because the symptoms are allergic, their delay in onset is often mirrored by a significant delay in relief after the parasites have been eradicated. Crusted scabies, formerly known as Norwegian scabies, is a more severe form of the infection often associated with immunosuppression.

Scabies is one of the three most common skin disorders in children, along with tinea and pyoderma.[4] As of 2010 it affects approximately 100 million people (1.5% of the world population) and is equally common in both sexes.[5]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Scabies (from Latin: scabere, "to scratch"),[1] also known colloquially as the seven-year itch,[2] is a contagious skin infection caused by the mite Sarcoptes scabiei. The mite is a tiny, and usually not directly visible, parasite which burrows under the host's skin, which in most people causes an intense itching sensation caused by an allergic response. The infection in animals other than humans is caused by a different but related mite species, and is called sarcoptic mange.

Scabies is classified by the World Health Organization as a water-related disease.[3] The disease may be transmitted from objects, but is most often transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact, with a higher risk with prolonged contact. Initial infections require four to six weeks to become symptomatic. Reinfection, however, may manifest symptoms within as few as 24 hours. Because the symptoms are allergic, their delay in onset is often mirrored by a significant delay in relief after the parasites have been eradicated. Crusted scabies, formerly known as Norwegian scabies, is a more severe form of the infection often associated with immunosuppression.

Scabies is one of the three most common skin disorders in children, along with tinea and pyoderma.[4] As of 2010 it affects approximately 100 million people (1.5% of the world population) and is equally common in both sexes.[5]
    Ah, *phew*.. Amirite..
    I like juice

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    I did some work for a bug man, Bedbug removal is expensive. They kill them by heating up the house to about 160F (I think) keeping it there for hours and taking everything our of drawers, standing up matresses, etc to expose all of them
    Actually, they die at about 106f after a few minutes.

160 would be way too much overkill and undoable as well as kill many electronics.

Just heat the entire house up to 115F for a day or 2 to make sure it heats the entire house no matter where it is at, and you can kill them all, but that is easier said than done for most people unless you live in Nevada in which case you just turn off the AC and open the windows in the middle of July.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear lord scabies, I hate that stuff with a passion.

Me and a friend caught it when we were kids.

You end up scratching meat off the bone and don't even care at that point as you just want that god awful itching to stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    So I think I might have bed bugs, which sucks.. A lot.
    A guy is coming to check it out tomorrow morning, but I havn't slept in a while because of the thought of them, munching on me while I sleep.

The only "proof" I have of 'em, is that I have what appears to be tiny bite marks on my hands, arms, stomach and crotch region - that scratches.
    I've looked around on the internet on ways to spot if you have them, but I cant find any evidence other than my bite marks.

Any thoughts to what else could've caused bite marks? If that's even what it is.. Tiny bumps with a tiny soar on top.

Ps. I have no idea where they would've come from.

EDIT: Doctor thinkgs it scabies, so I got some cream stuff for it to smear myself with for the night. Had the bed bugs check anyways do, just to be sure; there were no evidence of them being around. The scabies thingy sounds weird though, it's all scattered, not textbook hand, wrist and between fingers.. We'll see.

Could be bird fleas, although it's not the right season. They tend to leave red, itchy bumps with a liquid-leaking sore on top, while most people don't react to bed bugs unless allergic.

Anyhow, if it is bed bugs, there's three ways to kill 'em: Heat (50+ centigrade or more I think it was), Cold ( minus 18 centigrade or more for fourteen days ) or chemicals, and the latter has become unreliable in later years, due to overuse resulting in chemical resistance. If you are in an apartment, warn your neighbors if it is confirmed as bed bugs, because the little buggers (heh) spread. One way to spot them is to look for their feces under your mattress, in creases and so on. Looks like little black dots.

Good luck, hope it's not the bugs!

10+ Year Old Account

that sounds even worse than bedbugs.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.