Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Hmm, sorry, seems my mention of sleep paralysis might have moved things off on a tangent a bit. I wanted to draw the comparisons to the hallucinations I experience then - and the hallucinations do sometimes persist once the paralysis has worn off for me. I know it can be very frightening. especially if you've never experienced anything like it before.
    I recall one experience when I woke, the paralysis was brief, but when I looked across to the other side of the bed to where my partner sleeps, he appeared to be sitting up in bed, looking at me, but I *knew* it wasn't him. It was like something was wearing his face. I sat up and reached across the bed, and my hand went right through it (because I was hallucinating). I clearly wasn't paralysed at that point though.
    Even though I knew that what happened wasn't real, it left me feeling very shaken. You still have that visceral reaction to "seeing" something frightening.

Have you experienced much broken or disturbed sleep lately? Feeling extremely tired or exhausted? I know those factors can be triggers for me.

There is some interesting reading to be found on the subject here: http://www.thesleepparalysisproject....eep-paralysis/
    including documentaries and links to research conducted into sleep paralysis, hallucinations etc.

Ultimately, I won't denounce your personal beliefs and if that's how you choose to interpret what happened to you, there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise.
    Your own example in this post is very close to what I experienced. I was very much able to move and lucid however I was skeptic of the whole thing as it was happening, like I knew that I would wake up and everything would be alright. However by the end of this experience something touched me and made me question whether this was actually real. I was both shaken and afraid like you mentioned however now that I've had some time to dwell on this I'm leaning towards the supernatural explanation, yes it's the scarier one however my personal beliefs of the existence of the supernatural are something I have to consider.

Thanks for that link I'm really interested in delving deeper into this phenomenon I wasn't aware that it was nearly this common.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    And there's no proof of (or testable science behind) your "dark entity" beyond your own anecdotes. Yet you chose to believe it was real.
    I'm not choosing to believe one explanation over the other however I'm entertaining both. I made this thread to gauge what people's opinions were on the broad topic of the supernatural.

When I was young I had a dream that the entire room flashed bright white. After the dream (or nightmare) I went into my parents room and my mom was sitting up in her bed and asked me if they took me. I'm not sure entirely what happened or if that was part of the dream but a few years ago something my mom mentioned that she had a dream like that as well, where I came into her room after a bright flash of light.

We must have been abducted by aliens. I'm absolutely sure of it.

(everything but that last part is true.)
    "The more we nurture our perversions the more human we become."
    -Vendetta Red

Prudes...

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    You talk how medical records don't quite agree with sleep paralysis and yet you say this?

If this dark entity is real and has deemed you important enough to harass, then you can't do much I'm afraid.
    Do you believe in aliens?

Is it really that strange for there to be supernatural entities walking about on earth without us knowing about them. Perhaps they don't live here. Perhaps there's one in the room with you right now and you would never know.

Since you can't describe it any better than "dark entity" I'm going to go ahead and say no. By definition, supernatural things are outside the realm of evidence and therefore are not be proven in any rigorous way. Therefore, you should assume they do not exist and look for a natural explanation, which many posters have provided already.

I agree with you that there's "bad in this world" but it comes from within, not from without.

Seems to me like you experienced sleep paralysis...
    I've experienced it countless times, had dark entities stand above me / strangle me / crouched in corner watching me...
    Managed to get my fear's under control while in Sleep Paralysis, seems these dark entities is just a product of our imaginination...

We wake up, or our brain does but our body does not - we are still in "dream state" aka the brain drug that causes dreams is still getting pumped out into our body - We awake, cant move, have trouble breathing - naturally? get panic feeling etc...

Alot gets strangled in their Sleep Paralysis experiences, thats because our breathing is VERY VERY much slower when body is sleeping vs awoke.
    So can cause the sensation of not getting enough air aka strangle entity projection...

Read about SP - read the causes (mostly not enough sleep/stress), some just have SP regardless of the known causes... Try build up a strong mentality, and try read about some of the FREAKING awesome stuff you can do while in sleep paralysis, helped me TONS...

Deleted

Sounds like sleep paralysis (as others have said).

Just learn to wake yourself up when you get that 'sense of dread-type-thing'.

Easy if you're a lucid dreamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Do you believe in aliens?

Is it really that strange for there to be supernatural entities walking about on earth without us knowing about them. Perhaps they don't live here. Perhaps there's one in the room with you right now and you would never know.
    I believe that would be a very strange thing, yes, unless supernatural entities are also microscopic. Anything that cannot be seen, nor interacted with, would similarly be blind and incapable of interacting with anything. You cannot see if your eyes don't catch light, because light cannot interact with them. Hearing is a function of vibrations vibrating within your ear. Smell requires physical particles to be released, and to fall upon chemical receptors. Touch requires both interacting objects to be tactile. At best, it would be an incredibly shitty afterlife to be a ghost in that situation.
    I suppose supernatural entities could be too small to be seen with the naked eye, but that seems like a fairly unlikely explanation :P

The difference between aliens and supernatural creatures is that one very likely exists by virtue of the universe being unimaginably huge, but would similarly be an unimaginably large distance from us, whereas you are saying that the other is standing within my bedroom. Also the word "supernatural" by its very definition requires something that is not possible within nature as it exists.
    I'd say aliens probably exist, but are definitely not hiding under my bed.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2014-11-18 at 11:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Your own example in this post is very close to what I experienced. I was very much able to move and lucid however I was skeptic of the whole thing as it was happening, like I knew that I would wake up and everything would be alright. However by the end of this experience something touched me and made me question whether this was actually real. I was both shaken and afraid like you mentioned however now that I've had some time to dwell on this I'm leaning towards the supernatural explanation, yes it's the scarier one however my personal beliefs of the existence of the supernatural are something I have to consider.

Thanks for that link I'm really interested in delving deeper into this phenomenon I wasn't aware that it was nearly this common.
    I hope you enjoy the research. Interpretation and beliefs aside, the subject is quite fascinating in and of itself.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

I'm not choosing to believe one explanation over the other however I'm entertaining both. I made this thread to gauge what people's opinions were on the broad topic of the supernatural.
    But you said ....

You seriously wouldn't shurg it off if you experienced it. This was real. I'm not crazy.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Hmm, sorry, seems my mention of sleep paralysis might have moved things off on a tangent a bit. I wanted to draw the comparisons to the hallucinations I experience then - and the hallucinations do sometimes persist once the paralysis has worn off for me. I know it can be very frightening. especially if you've never experienced anything like it before.
    I recall one experience when I woke, the paralysis was brief, but when I looked across to the other side of the bed to where my partner sleeps, he appeared to be sitting up in bed, looking at me, but I *knew* it wasn't him. It was like something was wearing his face. I sat up and reached across the bed, and my hand went right through it (because I was hallucinating). I clearly wasn't paralysed at that point though.
    Even though I knew that what happened wasn't real, it left me feeling very shaken. You still have that visceral reaction to "seeing" something frightening.

Have you experienced much broken or disturbed sleep lately? Feeling extremely tired or exhausted? I know those factors can be triggers for me.

There is some interesting reading to be found on the subject here: http://www.thesleepparalysisproject....eep-paralysis/
    including documentaries and links to research conducted into sleep paralysis, hallucinations etc.

Ultimately, I won't denounce your personal beliefs and if that's how you choose to interpret what happened to you, there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise.
    Hmm i think its because of the "dream drug" DMT or wtf it is our brain is pumping out...
    Sometimes i can move my body 2-3 sec after waking up, and have experienced, something i could only explain as a hallucinations...
    Pretty sure its just because of the brain drug still going through our system...
    It could also be an out of body experience, but yeah you aint really in doubt when thats happening...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    Hmm i think its because of the "dream drug" DMT or wtf it is our brain is pumping out...
    Sometimes i can move my body 2-3 sec after waking up, and have experienced, something i could only explain as a hallucinations...
    Pretty sure its just because of the brain drug still going through our system...
    It could also be an out of body experience, but yeah you aint really in doubt when thats happening...
    Yeah, the periods of actually feeling paralysed vary. Usually lasts a few seconds, occasionally seems to last a minute or two. The duration of hallucinations varies as well - sometimes I experience no accompanying hallucination, sometimes very brief/amorphous and occasionally very clear and vivid lasting quite a bit beyond the period of paralysis.

There is no doubt in my mind it's just my brain not properly or very slowly adjusting from sleeping state to waking state, but even armed with the logic, it can be very quite a frightening experience. It's difficult to control that instinctual reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    It clearly did do nothing to you because you are here now telling us about it, the fact that something is frightening does not mean that it is bad. I would also be scared if a three foot tall creature was stood where it was not supposed to be, but as it demonstrably did not actually do anything then it appears that if it happens again you are in no actual danger, thus do not need to fear the possible recurrence of this event.
    Malevolence is not something you can "detect". Humans do not have any inherent ability to sense good or evil. It would be very useful if we did, because most things which want to cause you harm come in disguise rather than broadcasting their presence! Being scared is a natural response, and it is easy to take that and then deduce that it must have been a "force of evil" but whatever you saw did not do anything to you. It was standing over you, but did nothing more. It could even have been protecting you.

The fact that something is frightening does not mean that it actually does mean you any harm! You are asking us to provide you proof for things, but then saying "I just know this", it is a pointless and circular line of reasoning to follow. All the evidence here says that this alleged creature was not evil, as it did nothing to harm you (it did not do anything at all).

I know you're not in any danger because there is no such thing as an evil living shadow, but as that is not something you are prepared to abandon your belief in, take solace in the fact that you emerged unharmed, un-threatened, and un-communicated-with.
    If this happens again then trying to sit up and confront it would be a good idea, to prove that it is not real (attempting to speak to it is the best thing to do, as the inability is a common symptom of sleep paralysis), but even if you cannot bring yourself to do this then take comfort in the fact that whatever it is clearly did not mean to hurt you.

In the case of this being sleep paralysis (this is very likely, you speak as if there is some uncertainty about its existence, but I must point out that we have managed to discover the exact mechanism by which it can occur), you are in no danger because what you are seeing is frightening but not real.
    In the unlikely case of there really being some kind of presence in your room, you are still in no danger because it did not express any desire to harm you (nor did it even move, apparently), merely watching over you as you slept.

You will be safe. There is no need to fear.
    1. Yes I am still here and seemingly as healthy as I was when I went to sleep last night however that does not mean the entity did nothing to me. I mentioned on the first page that it was murmiring in a strange tone perhaps it was casting some sort of ritual on me. Perhaps whatever it did is long-acting meaning that it will not manifest for a while. Perhaps it didn't plan to do anything to me last night but it will be back tonight. Perhaps it was just watching. There's so many reasons for why I'm still here but they all don't mean that the creature is not evil.

2. Evil is absolutely something you can detect, something you can feel in your bones. Animals, particularly dogs and horses react to dark energies and there's recorded evidence of this. In fact dogs are very good judges of character so there's at least one proof that of evil being detected.

3. It did hurt me. It shook my very depths and has encroached on my own personal space - the place where I should feel the safest. Yet here I am afraid of going to sleep tonight. I've already asked a friend to come over tonight and spend the night at my apartment for fear of being faced with the same evil again.

4. Can you please link the mechanism for which sleep paralysis occurs ( that is if it's actually testable)

Not sure, I am open minded and I did have a strange experience awhile back.

It was in the afternoon and I was home alone, I went to the fridge to get ice from the ice machine and noticed something from the corner of my eye. It sent chills on the back of my neck and I felt cold. I then turned more to see what was there and slowly noticed someone standing there with purple jogging pants on. I didn't even bother to look even higher than that when I bolted out the door.

The jogging pants reminded me of an encounter I had with a neighbor who used to live upstairs from me. I believe he was wearing the same pants that I saw the figure wearing but I'm not sure. It was night and I saw him walking up the hill - I went and stopped him and asked him for change for a $5 bill and then he told me he can do it when he gets back. He ended up being murdered around an hour after I talked to him.

Since I don't remember exactly what he was wearing that night, and I didn't bother to look above the waist at the figure I saw - I don't know if what I experienced was real or not. The night of the murder and the afternoon of the figure I saw happened years apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    But you said ....
    The experience was real to me. There's a difference, albeit a subtle one which obviously escaped your obtuse brain. That said I don't know whether I really experienced a supernatrual prescense or whether it's mind playing tricks. Both right now are equally likely imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    4. Can you please link the mechanism for which sleep paralysis occurs ( that is if it's actually testable)
    http://www.thesleepparalysisproject....eep-paralysis/ (I recommend watching the documentary on that page, when you have time.

http://www.thesleepparalysisproject..../neurobiology/
    A little more about activity in areas of the brain which influence the experience.

http://www.thesleepparalysisproject....eep-paralysis/ (I recommend watching the documentary on that page, when you have time.

http://www.thesleepparalysisproject..../neurobiology/
    A little more about activity in areas of the brain which influence the experience.
    Ah damn can't access it on this network. I'll read about it when I get home for sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    The experience was real to me. There's a difference, albeit a subtle one which obviously escaped your obtuse brain. That said I don't know whether I really experienced a supernatrual prescense or whether it's mind playing tricks. Both right now are equally likely imo.
    We've recorded and proven countless accounts of the mind playing tricks. The supernatural has never been recorded or proven, it's simply an idea that some people choose to believe.

So they're hardly equally likely, are they?

2. Evil is absolutely something you can detect, something you can feel in your bones. Animals, particularly dogs and horses react to dark energies and there's recorded evidence of this. In fact dogs are very good judges of character so there's at least one proof that of evil being detected.
    Is this a joke?
    • Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
      Fashion magazines not trying to appeal to men is misogyny.
    • lol

Well, first you refused to even consider a non-supernatural explanation, and now both are equally likely. And then you accuse me of being obtuse .....
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    We've recorded and proven countless accounts of the mind playing tricks. The supernatural has never been recorded or proven, it's simply an idea that some people choose to believe.

So they're hardly equally likely, are they?
    Yes absolultely they are equally likely. We have no proof that sleep paralysis is real I'm sorry.

And if you already believe in the idea that there's good and evil in the world in the supernatural sense, which I do, then this experience is not merely my mind playing tricks. It was a direct demonic attack on my person when I was at my most vulnerable.