Benefit to mining profession?

What benefit does the actual mining profession have now in relation to garrison?

There is no more smelting which was necessary before.

Besides being able to go out in the world and mine, is there any benefit to having mining as a profession?

no idea, I picked up mining and ore is pretty much worthless. I guess its only good still for crafting with Blacksmithing, engineering. I hear you even need some ore for alchemy.

Extra ore from around the world to sell in the AH for horrible prices due to everyone being able to mine from their garrison of course.

Honestly, Ive been able to fuel all my CDs and workorders for BS with just my garrison mine, so unless some people aren't using their mine i dont really see the use of mining at all (Assuming JC and Engineering can supply themselves as well in a similar fashion).

I'm pretty sure you also get more draenic stones from the nodes in your mine for more work orders.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is basically only one. You get ore faster so you can do work orders, blacksmithing (1 extra mat for epic gear a day) and more efficiently mine in your garrison mine. Really I am only keeping it because I cant be assed getting another profession and I think all gathering professions are just as shit these days.

Frizmanny 100 Retribution Paladin Magtheridon EU

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    you get a bonus to ore you harvest from nodes in your mine in your garrison.

Also if you have a follower who can mine ore you can add them to your mine at level 2 and that also gives a bonus.

so a person with mining, and a level 2 mine + a mining follower will harvest more ore per node than someone who does not have the mining profession.

Also you can harvest ore in the open world.

since the mine unlocks earlier than the herb garden I think I will switch my miners over to herbalism
    Keep in mind these weren't max level miners, only level 1 boosted characters so mining wasn't that important.

Deleted
    More ore is great, especially if your second profession (or your alts professions) need it for work orders / levelling boost / daily cooldown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluxoz View Post
    Obtained the level 3 mine 2 days ago, haven't seen a point in mining random nodes I've come across since then.

Mining is worthless with the garrison, completely.
    not entirely true, Mining in the open world is the only way to encounter the angered gorrin that drops the pet. The ones you encounter in the garrison mine are lunarfall gorrin and they do not drop the pet.

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Extra ore from around the world to sell in the AH for horrible prices due to everyone being able to mine from their garrison of course.
    5-10 gold per ore on my server is not a horrible price. Herbs go for a lot as well. Considering how much ore it takes for each item in professions, people will need it. Without mining and a level 3 mine, you are looking at 2-3 ore per normal node. With mining, you are looking at triple per normal node. All professions require minerals, herbs, cloths/fishing based items now. People will need it for alts as well. No one is able to make a lot, if any epic quality items yet due to daily CD restrictions. I know as a Alchemist, I got screwed over this expansion due to alchemy not having hardly any new recipes. I am making more money selling mats. I make around 10k a day just selling ore and herbs on my server right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGerb View Post
    5-10 gold per ore on my server is not a horrible price. Herbs go for a lot as well. Considering how much ore it takes for each item in professions, people will need it. Without mining and a level 3 mine, you are looking at 2-3 ore per normal node. With mining, you are looking at triple per normal node. All professions require minerals, herbs, cloths/fishing based items now. People will need it for alts as well. No one is able to make a lot, if any epic quality items yet due to daily CD restrictions. I know as a Alchemist, I got screwed over this expansion due to alchemy not having hardly any new recipes. I am making more money selling mats. I make around 10k a day just selling ore and herbs on my server right now.
    managed to make an epic 630 2h axe last night, sold it for 200k lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    managed to make an epic 630 2h axe last night, sold it for 200k lol.
    Yes, that is about as much as it should go for at the start of an expansion. It will drop down to 5k after the first or second big patch. Right now is the best time to make money on professions just like every new expansion. My dumb self made alch as my main profession. I will make a BS station once I make a rank 3 garrison. I am leveling my second toon at the moment though.