Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    While that's true, it however does not have to mean its worth it from the customer point of view.
    If they're selling out of the things, apparently it is. Not any specific customer, of course.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    $5 for some bread is fucking bullshit.
    Agreed.

I don't go to subway. I like to buy bread at the deli, meat and whatever else and make my own sandwiches. I can make 5 sandwiches for the cost of one subway sandwich that some jail release program ape behind the counter is handling.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Is it though? 50 mile round trip to get it yourself. $1 cost at the bakery. So assuming a vehicle with 25mpg, that is 2 gallons of gas at about what $2.85, + $1 for the roll.

You'd have to buy in bulk, but then they get worse each day, while the shop gets new every day.

Its not really a bad price.
    plus the time for the trip. It's a 50 miles trip:

- 2 dozen of rolls at 1$ each = 24$
    - 2 gallons of gas at 2.85$/g = 5.70$
    - 1 hour for the trip at 10$/h = 10$ (probably takes more)

total 39.7$, or 1.66$/roll

sell price is 5$, which is a very nice profit but since it's probably specially requested by some costumer, it seems fair to me

Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    total 39.7$, or 1.66$/roll

sell price is 5$, which is a very nice profit but since it's probably specially requested by some costumer, it seems fair to me
    That's about correct for the cost analysis. I get that as 30.2% cost. I would never go over about 35% cost.

If they actually are selling out, why not, even if you personally think it's ridiculous.

Edit: OP, do you happen to live in Michigan?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    eh, at noon you can get a shawarma for $5 here.
    I did pay $9 for a sandwich just over a month ago, it was good but maybe not worth more than my average dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Thinking as I type... 25 miles is about a gallon of gas, so two gallons round-trip, so at current prices about $6 for the gas. That's about an hour of work for whoever's doing it. Let's assume they get a reasonable wage, so let's call it $15. We're at $21. I would want to be able to sell all of that for at least $100 with my markup. How many rolls are they getting? Divide $100 by that. If they're only getting 20 rolls, $5 is the right price.

Edit: I forgot to add in the actual cost of the rolls. Take that as you will.
    No, it really is more like at least 2 hours, and closer to 3 with traffic.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarcraftStroies/

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

Can't really say without trying.

If I were to walk into the place for the first time not knowing any better, my first instinct would be to see if the base sandwich is any good before paying a $5 premium on better bread.

Not $5

If offered the upgrade at no charge I would try it but it would have to be pretty damned impressive for me to even consider $5

I think subway has about the best bread, and the worst everything else though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Not $5

If offered the upgrade at no charge I would try it but it would have to be pretty damned impressive for me to even consider $5

Subway has the best bread... oh man that is depressing. I know a dozen places around me with much better bread. Even cheap ones like Lee's.

Though with the cost angle I think $5 is not a lot as well since mainly I do sandwiches it would be take out at lunch. Yet I also sometimes go to a sit down place for lunch, where with gratuity, its at least $20. So spending $15 at a sandwich place isn't all that unreasonable if the bread truly is great.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2014-11-20 at 11:27 PM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

no way. I rarely buy sandwiches as it is, only when I don't have time to make my own, I certainly wouldn't pay a higher price just for a different bread. if the bread is THAT good then I'd just buy some of the bread myself

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Subway has the best bread... oh man that is depressing. I know a dozen places around me with much better bread. Even cheap ones like Lee's.

Though with the cost angle I think $5 is not a lot as well since mainly I do sandwiches at lunch, and typically it would be take out. Yet I also sometimes go to a place for lunch, where with gratuity, its at least $20. So spending $15 at a sandwich place isn't all that unreasonable if the bread truly is great.
    Well plain bread is what I like. Im happy with a loaf of plain fresh white bread

id try it, depending if i wante to!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, people would. It doesn't mean you guys would, but people would.
    I probably would.

Why do people pay for "brands"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Yes, people would. It doesn't mean you guys would, but people would.
    I probably would.

Why do people pay for "brands"?
    Well, see, the standard sandwich is $9. That is already about $1.50 higher than most in my area.... add 5 more bucks and it is way over the top for this area, compared to most delis.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarcraftStroies/

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

5 more for an improvement in all of the materials, yes. For the bread? No..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Not $5

Subway bread should hardly count as bread at all - I'd never eat it unless I'm drunk.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    I'd try it once, if it was really nice then I would weigh it up in my head how often I want to spend that extra amount for it.

Or, for $5 I'll go buy a second shit sandwich.

In all seriousness, I'd do it once to try it, but probably not again unless it was euphoric or something.

Of course I would pay the extra money if I felt the meal was improved by the addition.

$20 for a good sandwich is not expansive in my mind. $2 for a bad sandwich is way too expensive though.

rosemary parmesan bread is no extra at quiznos, and probably my favorite bread. too bad they're bankrupt.