Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rhino Poaching at New Record: How do we handle poaching?

The number of rhinos killed by poachers for their horns tripled from four years ago in 2014 in South Africa. A record of 1,020 rhinos have been killed in 2014 so far, which is also more than all of 2013. One reserve alone, Kruger National Park, has seen 672 rhinos killed since January 1. Prices for a kilogram of rhino horn range from $65,000 to $95,000 in Asia—more than their weight in gold. Demand for rhino horns has been triggered in part by belief in China and Vietnam that they can cure diseases like cancer. The government did point out that a record number of arrests for poaching have been made this year. - DB Summary

It's a complicated issue. The people who do it are generally poor locals who have few options to make a living, and the market is strong mainly due to longstanding Asian superstitions regarding the alleged properties of the materials. Apparently it's also a status symbol in many Asian cultures given the rarity of them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...th-africa.html

Given that the market is creating this problem, perhaps we should all collectively start trying to spread the rumor that poacher bones cure cancer? Problem solved.

Can't the rhinos be protected better?

It's hopeless. The faith in Traditional Chinese Voodoo Bullshit Medicine is strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you really think the people doing the poaching are even reaping that much of a reward? they sell it to people for x money, and then the people they sell it to sell it for XXX money, if you really want to stop it, punish the middle man very harshly.
    You're a towel.

I'd imagine it has something to do with the Barn being used so heavily as an option for obtaining feasts.
    Frankly, Blizzard did this. There is no reason a garrison building needs to drop food that is better then that which can be made from a cook.

But I wouldn't say its something to be upset about. The animals in the world have quite a decent respawn. if you are being "greifed," just try going to another area.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I'd imagine it has something to do with the Barn being used so heavily as an option for obtaining feasts.
    Frankly, Blizzard did this. There is no reason a garrison building needs to drop food that is better then that which can be made from a cook.

But I wouldn't say its something to be upset about. The animals in the world have quite a decent respawn. if you are being "greifed," just try going to another area.

I think you replied to the wrong thread or some internet pipes got mixed up ;P
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    It's a complicated issue. The people who do it are generally poor locals who have few options to make a living,
    You sure about that? More often than not it is game rangers who are in on it ie the more well off portion of the population not some poor guy trying to feed is family. Shoot them all, and don't feel bad. They were all greedy bastards anyway.

Food for thought: Kruger is the size of wales, it will be basically impossible to police on a budget and that is just one area.

Deleted
    Cut the dicks off the poachers.

Deleted
    Cut of the horn of all the rhino's (without killing them).

Destroy the horns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Do you really think the people doing the poaching are even reaping that much of a reward? they sell it to people for x money, and then the people they sell it to sell it for XXX money, if you really want to stop it, punish the middle man very harshly.
    Not going to work very much, there will always be someone wanting to get the XXx.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post

Destroy the horns.
    Yeah, that's probably the best thing. I wonder what the rhino would think about the process, "I was down by the watering hole, next thing I know I woke up and my horn was gone."

China and other parts of Asia will eventually come around I think. Not sure if the rhinos will survive until then.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Weren't we colouring the horns so the horns would be worthless?

- - - Updated - - -

Destroy the horns.
    You just killed the Rhino's, that's how they survive...without their horn they'd die within a month most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Can't the rhinos be protected better?
    nope. there's no money. South Africa is a vile cesspit of corruption, superstition and just overall stupidity. It's basically what you get when your president build himself a mansion, while the rest of the people suffer in poverty. This genius also thought that taking a shower after having sex will stop you from getting AIDS.
    hashtag thirdworldproblems

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You just killed the Rhino's, that's how they survive...without their horn they'd die within a month most likely.
    They can survive without horn. Dehorning has been used before. the problem is that they need to leave a stub or else the rhino can get an infection.
    The problem with that though is that poachers still take the stub because the value of even a stub is so high.

That is why they shouldn't throw away the horn but strangely enough, sell it below the sales price of current poachers (and with the added benefit of it being legal). Then use that money to increase security to make it even less interesting to poach rhinos, completely killing the market for poachers.

Or just lace it with poison, screw them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Kill anyone caught poaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

I want to say 'drones'.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted

I tought they where already doing that, maybe it depends, there are different species of rhino's.

I've heared about elephants being born without tusks, so they can probably survive without.

As long as there is a market for the Rhino Horns some one will supply the market
    some how the culture that places value on the horns need to be changed to eliminate that market

10+ Year Old Account
    I tought they where already doing that, maybe it depends, there are different species of rhino's.

I've heared about elephants being born without tusks, so they can probably survive without.
    Elephants are herd animals (minus the mature bulls), and they look out for each other, whereas rhinos are solitary 90% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, right.
    Oh, hi.