Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you role-play when gaming?

Greetings fellow gamers,

I am a Psychology PhD researcher at Nottingham Trent University (UK) (and night elf resto druid in my free-time) and I would like to invite you to take part in my quick

and amazing survey about role-playing gaming. This should not take more than 10 minutes and I would be grateful to all of you who are willing to me out on my thesis.

Here's the survey address: www.surveymonkey.com/s/rpgaming

Serious constructive feedback is HIGHLY appreciated and will be considered,

Kind regards,

Deleted
    No I do not roleplay, I would feel like a right tit.

I did back when NWN was still a thing, mostly because the custom server we played on it was a requirement. But the mod was pretty good and well done, so it was worth it. Though we usually had some clever scenarios and would skirt the rules simply because of our rock solid logic.

Such as one time we were being berated by some nerds for not using character appropriate language and shit, and we came up with the idea that we were in fact travellers from the future who were stuck in a vortex that sent us back in time to a magical world, Army of Darkness style. So our customs and language is much different, followed by "so jog on you hairy bastard."

What could they do? We were roleplaying! Well within the rules.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I role play on Moon Guard. No, Horde side.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

4 years ago, I would've laughed at RPers and called them nerds.

Then I tried roleplaying and I just can't play games with no RP aspects anymore.

Killing dragons when I know the dragon's backstory and his goals is much more attractive than killing dragons for loot.

How many people know who Falric and Marwyn were? Well, I guess a lot, because WC3.

But how many people knew who Kargath Bladefist was back in TBC?

Knowing the story of the game and immersing yourself in it is a thousand times better than just playing it for loot. Looking back at my early WoW years, they seem very empty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    4 years ago, I would've laughed at RPers and called them nerds.

Then I tried roleplaying and I just can't play games with no RP aspects anymore.

Killing dragons when I know the dragon's backstory and his goals is much more attractive than killing dragons for loot.

How many people know who Falric and Marwyn were? Well, I guess a lot, because WC3.

But how many people knew who Kargath Bladefist was back in TBC?

Knowing the story of the game and immersing yourself in it is a thousand times better than just playing it for loot. Looking back at my early WoW years, they seem very empty.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo.

Though I've always been into rp to some degree. I used to play only single player games as a child so I found replayability in making up my own stories for my character and characters in the game. Always loved fantasy books too so it was just sort of natural. RP is fun to do, if a bit cheesy to watch.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Deleted
    I do not. I'll never put on a wizard hat and carry a cane.

All of my characters have different personalities. that's as close as I get to roleplaying

Deleted
    No, i tried once, a ban was issued.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    You can't resist the urge. You're just in denial!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    No, i tried once, a ban was issued.
    roleplaying, not poleplaying
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    My family is allowed to end my life if it is ever going to happend.

I enjoy player housing and other aspects to that degree but I never have dived so far in that the character I'm playing has a different personality other than my real life self as far as mmos are concerned. Elder scrolls and dragon age games I'll get farther in such as spending too much time doing meaningless things around town for some added integration in the world. Though I must say that I would much rather be a role-playing nerd than someone trying to act like they're are a badass because they don't.

Comparison of Badassery
    Swallowing gum > Bragging about not rping
    Last edited by Godric; 2014-11-21 at 11:58 PM.
    Mighty one, never forget.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I role-played, back when it wasn't cool and we got called nerds.

Still do kind of.

Role-played in Neverwinter Nights, WoW, and GW2.

Really helped the whole teenage process and I learned a lot.

Nowadays the only RPing is Warhammer-themed DnD and Normal DnD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do in my head but not in the way I communicate with other players. In my head, I think of my rogue as a real contributor to Azeroth and an integral part of many conflicts in recent history. I enjoy immersion, but not at the cost of communication convenience.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I love roleplay! I roleplay in most games that I play.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never D&D'ed, but I wanted to. The story is almost as important as the game play for me.

I do visual RP (passive aesthetics like mounts and armor and pets) in games, especially WoW where my goons follow their own themes and personalities, but not active RP with other people.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moanah View Post
    Greetings fellow gamers,

I am a Psychology PhD researcher at Nottingham Trent University (UK) (and night elf resto druid in my free-time) and I would like to invite you to take part in my quick

and amazing survey about role-playing gaming. This should not take more than 10 minutes and I would be grateful to all of you who are willing to me out on my thesis.

Here's the survey address: www.surveymonkey.com/s/rpgaming

Serious constructive feedback is HIGHLY appreciated and will be considered,

Kind regards,
    I would fill that, if it weren't for your lazy, misleading, dishonest, copy-pasted message. For one, you don't care for what people respond in this thread, but your topic name implies it's a discussion you want, but it's all just about your survey.
    I understand you need to spread it around for your research, but I don't really care for putting in any effort where no effort was shown to begin with.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I role play on Moon Guard. No, Horde side.
    Yay, Moon Guard!
    Granted, I'm primarily Alliance...
    However, I have a 90 Blood Elf Death knight. Eventually, i'm going to level her to 100, but I'm enjoying my Alliance character too much to have the time.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    That's LARPing, not roleplaying.

Roleplaying is you playing Skyrim and wearing only Fur Armor, staying out of frozen water and eating soup every once in a while because realistically your character would be freezing.

Naturally, the degrees vary.