10+ Year Old Account

is it me or are mages in a bad spot?

i have tried multiple decks(nothing above rare) and it seems unless i use a deck with the standard mirror image ,fireball,water elemental,polymorph, flamestrike,and a bunch of minions + blizzard i usually always lose. every time i use a niche deck i end up losing over and over to almost every single deck. every time i try using a deck based around setting up combos it just ends up losing. is this what the game has turned into? btw i am playing ranked since casual is very unreliable in giving coins. it might explain why i almost never see mages above rank 19.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    You say ''unless you use the standart deck with X card''

Yes, that's how the meta works. See warriors-everyone runs the armor control warrior because other warrior decks won't succeed as much in the current meta. If you are facing hunters you build to counter them. Sure, there will be classes with multiple viable decks in the meta and I hope we see more diversity in the future but there is so much you can do with the limited number of cards we have right now.
    Last edited by mmoce9a533470d; 2014-11-24 at 08:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by littleman40 View Post
    You say ''unless you use the standart deck with X card''

Yes, that's how the meta works. See warriors-everyone runs the armor control warrior because other warrior decks won't suceed as much. Depends on the meta. If you are facing hunters you build to counter them. Sure, there will be classes with multiple viable decks in the meta and I hope we see more diversity in the future but there is so much you can do with the limited number of cards we have right now.
    i was told rank 20-18 didn't really have a meta though. which is where i am.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i was told rank 20-18 didn't really have a meta though. which is where i am.
    Maybe the problem is in the deck you are trying to build. Maybe you are buildng way too niche and relying on combos more then you should. Given non meta enviroment, every class should be as good as before because there haven't been buffs/nerfs in a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    one of the decks was a violet teacher combo with removal spells and some damage spells along with the mana addict and questing adventurer. but they always get removed before i can play them.

Deleted
    It's really hard to make those cards work without some form of protection. Try adding frezzes (frost nova,blizzard,cone of cold) and/or taunt. And don't load your deck with only expensive spells if you are running adventurer/addict. Also, have a back up plan. Relying on only those cards to win the game isn't going work. Look at other successful combo decks. Miracle has Leeroy back up(some even run malygos), OTK warrior had Alexstrasza and Gorehowl in addition to charging giants and druid with FoN and savage roar have a lot of other big/defensive creatures. You also should have a reasonable amount of card draw in combo decks.

Look, to be perfectly blunt, you can let the game auto-fill your deck for any class with any collection and make it out of ranks 18-20. If you're having trouble at that range, you're just straight up playing the game wrong.

Mage is certainly somewhat weak in the certain meta, but a.) it's rank 7th of 9 classes, and its win rage adjusted for skill is like 48.5% or something so you won't be able to discern any realistic difference, and b.) as people told you, the meta is completely invalid at that rank.

If you are really interested in actually learning how to play better instead of just intermittently creating complaint threads, start with a resource like Trump's f2p mage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gBnJSohfvo - someone who will talk about his decisions and give play by play talks of why he did what he did, then copy what he does every time you're in the same situation.

If you want to play around with combos try to focus on enrage minions (pinging to charge them) and stuff like Unstable Ghoul or maybe Ethereal/Kirin Tor + Secrets. Both Questing and Mana Addict are too slow/too easy to remove, not really playable in any deck. If you really want to try them, Rogue would make best of them with cheap spells and Conceal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Violet Teacher is... not a great Mage choice. I mean sure you have a ton of spells to fuel your token machine but mages have almost nothing in the way of minion buffs. So you flood your board with crap, hooray.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

if you don'w want to use "standard" mage decks there are some decent decks around Antonidas, also freeze mage with Alex still works

So you refuse to use the best mage cards available and then claim mages are in a bad spot. Ok.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Deleted
    After gvG hopefully some more mage decks will spring up. All I currently see is the secret mage now with Mad Scientist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    So you refuse to use the best mage cards available and then claim mages are in a bad spot. Ok.
    there is a difference between claiming something is true and asking if something is true. perhaps you should learn what that difference is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Violet Teacher is... not a great Mage choice. I mean sure you have a ton of spells to fuel your token machine but mages have almost nothing in the way of minion buffs. So you flood your board with crap, hooray.
    wouldn't questing adventurer be the answer to mages not having minion buffs?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Konik View Post
    if you don'w want to use "standard" mage decks there are some decent decks around Antonidas, also freeze mage with Alex still works
    sadly i dont have either of those legendaries yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    there is a difference between claiming something is true and asking if something is true. perhaps you should learn what that difference is.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

sadly i dont have either of those legendaries yet.
    If you want a "growth" minion, then Arcanists with Secrets Mage and/or Shades Of Naxx are far better for mages than Questing. The Arcanist starts super beefy and synergises very, very well with Ice Block (guaranteed to get growth as IB isn't triggered until you "die"), Cspell (protecting itself) and Duplicate. Shade of Naxx is one you can just leave be and let build until you deem it solid enough.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Questing itself is not very good, and even if it was it is in no way an answer to being unable to buff the Violet Teacher's tokens.

At the moment most of the mage decks just do not fit in current meta. Maybe things will shake up again when GvG launches though.
    I also hope that endgame control shaman will be a thing.

Deleted
    Mages aren't supposed to be buffing minions so there's your first game breaking mistake that's preventing you from winning.

You're crippling yourself by putting down questing adventurer and violet teacher because you're essentialy forcing yourself to cast spells/play cards even when not necesary otherwise those minions just stand there and do nothing. Even when they benefit from your cards it's really not worth it.

Mages aren't about developing own boards but controlling the opponent's and burning face. You might wanna give shaman a try if you're trying to develop and fill your board up.