Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The only people who should in any way "police" social media are the people running it.
    I think the opposite is true. Twitter isn't responsible for what happens there any more than the construction crews aren't responsible if someone gets murdered on their sidewalk or their building or whatever. It's just a tool. It's society's job to police what's acceptable and what isn't. Sometimes that means we get overly politically correct bullshit, but we take the bad with the good.

I guess easy way to pass someone she was clearly going to lose against?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Honestly, this kind of comment is pretty disgusting. Why do you default to this, and not to, "Hey, he said something pretty shitty, and the person it was directed towards felt it was inappropriate. The tournament agreed with her and took action."?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, this kind of comment is pretty disgusting. Why do you default to this, and not to, "Hey, he said something pretty shitty, and the person it was directed towards felt it was inappropriate. The tournament agreed with her and took action."?
    Because the evidence points to the opposite, the comment in the context of competitive gaming didn't even make me blink twice.

Yeah I can agree it was unprofessional, and to an OUTSIDER may be seen as inappropriate, but it's not an outsider who reported it. It's the competition who he was so sure he'd crush.

Personally if such a comment was directed at me from a competitor it would fire me up, it would feel better to beat them. This always seems to have been standard in gaming too where trash talk can be very 'rough' compared to other environments.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah. Lose against Kas. Funny.

The term "rape" is used all the time in online games, not just against females. Why is it only an issue now?

But being offended all the time sounds like a lot of fun. Where do I sign up?
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why the fuck are we talking about this when some really cheating is going on in counter strike? It is like you guys only want to talk about stupid bullshit.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Because the evidence points to the opposite, the comment in the context of competitive gaming didn't even make me blink twice.
    Where was the obvious gaming context if you weren't a gamer? Or hell, if you were a gamer? I have no clue what the hashtag means, and the tweet itself outside of the hashtag has no relation to gaming. If your'e gonna tweet, "About to rape some fools in Starcraft 2", whatever, that's cool. But "About to rape some girl #somefuckingthing" is kinda not obviously about gaming. It's a stupid as shit thing to say and the kind of thing that should be punished so that professional gamers think twice before they send out a tweet.

Yeah I can agree it was unprofessional, and to an OUTSIDER may be seen as inappropriate, but it's not an outsider who reported it. It's the competition who he was so sure he'd crush.
    I make no claims to be a big SC2 follower, but I'm definitely a gamer. I had no clue what the context for that tweet was.

Personally if such a comment was directed at me from a competitor it would fire me up, it would feel better to beat them. This always seems to have been standard in gaming too where trash talk can be very 'rough' compared to other environments.
    That's kinda not really trash talk. I've trashed talked enough folks and been the recipient of a ton of trash talk as well. It's always been obvious trash talk about gaming, even out of context, if it was public. If it was private, we definitely let the flood gates open and went full bore, but that's because we knew no context was needed for the trash talk, the context was provided for all who were privy to the trash talk. Twitter, as a whole, is not privy to the context of every tweet, which is why people need to think about what they tweet out before they hit "send" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    The term "rape" is used all the time in online games, not just against females. Why is it only an issue now?

But being offended all the time sounds like a lot of fun. Where do I sign up?
    Indeed, but it's usually either

A: Said in the pretty clear context of gaming, "Time to start the SCII rape train, scrubs" etc.

B: Said in private, where context is inherently provided and not needed for incidental outside observers.

I'm all for people not overreacting, but this is a case where I see no overreaction. Someone said something stupid, got punished. Life goes on, hopefully people take note and think twice before tweeting something out publicly.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2014-11-30 at 03:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post

Seems pretty obvious you'd get disqualified from -any- competition for that, except for perhaps competitive rapping. ;p
    This spelling mistake made my day ^^

I'm all for people not overreacting, but this is a case where I see no overreaction. Someone said something stupid, got punished. Life goes on, hopefully people take note and think twice before tweeting something out publicly.
    This is my reaction to the incident as well, but you reaction to peoples comments is fairly SJW-esque. I don't see it as an overreaction, i see it as abusing someone saying something stupid.

And then you acting as if he meant he would physically rape, which he clearly didn't.

And as I already explained - It'd be fine if SOMEONE ELSE was reporting it, but it wasn't. It was the competitor who knew exactly what he meant (as any follower of the event would). It wasn't some random person who stumbled across it and got understandably offended due to not having context.

And then you acting as if he meant he would physically rape, which he clearly didn't.

And as I already explained - It'd be fine if SOMEONE ELSE was reporting it, but it wasn't. It was the competitor who knew exactly what he meant (as any follower of the event would). It wasn't some random person who stumbled across it and got understandably offended due to not having context.
    I acted as if it was a real threat? When? I've been pretty clear that I think that once context was presented (i.e. in the context of a gaming tournament) that it was not a threat, but just extremely poorly worded trash talk.

Why is she not allowed to report it, though? Is she not allowed to feel offended or uneasy about it given its horrible wording? If it wasn't a big deal, the tournament wouldn't have taken action. But they felt it warranted action, so they took it. Dude learns a lesson, hopefully others do too, hopefully nobody tweets anything else similarly poorly worded.

And saying my reaction is "fairly SJW-esque"...fucking please. I get that there's a backlash against a lot of the SJW bullshit (a backlash I'm firmly a part of), but for fucks sake, can we not paint the world in black and white like many of the SJW's do?

Deleted
    Banned ? If anything the police should arrest him and chuck him in jail for 6 months!
    When did lots of people doing the wrong thing suddenly make it OK?
    The world is getting sick of social media abuse, banter is one thing....but this went way beyond that!

Quote Originally Posted by ministabber View Post
    Banned ? If anything the police should arrest him and chuck him in jail for 6 months!
    Why? What has he actually done that is against the law?

There are a lot of people who believe speech on the internet shouldn't have consequences. I disagree with it, but there are folks that believe that. Not to mention that in the context, it's trash talk that's common to gaming. It's monumentally stupid and was rightfully punished for given how poorly it was worded, but it's still gamer trash talk.

The world is getting sick of social media abuse, banter is one thing....but this went way beyond that!
    I doubt this was intentional abuse in any way. It was more than likely simply a stupid choice of words from someone who wasn't a native English speaker. Don't see how it's anything much more serious than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    6 months is a bit much for what is for all intents and purposes just gamer trash talk, I agree with their decision to remove him from the tournament though. Such use of language has no place in the competitive professional scene.

About people trashtalking each others, have you ever been part of a sports team at any level? Its nothing unique to gaming and heated feelings is pretty much the commonplace but most good coaches strive towards the mentality of being enemies on the field but friends outside the rink.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-11-30 at 07:41 PM.

I acted as if it was a real threat? When? I've been pretty clear that I think that once context was presented (i.e. in the context of a gaming tournament) that it was not a threat, but just extremely poorly worded trash talk.
    And therefore no legitimate reason to be reported BY THE COMPETITION WHO CLEARLY HAVE AN AGENDA.

Why is she not allowed to report it, though? Is she not allowed to feel offended or uneasy about it given its horrible wording? If it wasn't a big deal, the tournament wouldn't have taken action. But they felt it warranted action, so they took it. Dude learns a lesson, hopefully others do too, hopefully nobody tweets anything else similarly poorly worded.
    She's allowed to feel offended, it's just ridiculous to assume she did given the environment she's in and what she has to gain by reporting it. They HAD to act on it, because otherwise they would've been torn apart regardless of legitimacy.