Thread: Frost Opener

Deleted

Frost Opener

So we have all the guides on Frost, rotations etc but I wanted to talk more in-depth about the Frost opener and how to maximise efficiency from it.

Currently I am using Frost Bomb, Mirror Image and Thermal Void as talents as they synergize quite well, particularly on the opener with Water Jet. My current opener looks like this:

-3: Pot
    -2: Mirror Image
    -1: Frostbolt

This first Frostbolt will activate Water Elementals Water Jet when it lands if it is on Auto, if not, hit it just before the FB Casts

From there (I have it on Auto as I find it much easier to manage the CD and uptime on it that way, it is DPS loss by doing this though), I do the following:

Frostbolt (Gives IL based on Water Jet)
    Frostbolt (Gives IL based on Water Jet)
    Frost Bomb
    Icy Veins + Ragewing's Firefang Trinket
    Ice Lance
    Frozen Orb
    Ice Lance
    Ice Lance
    Frostfire Bolt

From here, I've already gotten 3 lances onto the bomb and usually get quite a few more. If you can get an additional 3 onto the boss before Icy Veins ends you will get 32 seconds out of it which will allow you to have the additional 30% Multistrike up until Mirror Images end. I kept Icy Veins up for 52 seconds yesterday and I assume people have kept it up for much more.

With hero on pull, I can quite easily hit 50-60k single target with the above, more with multiple targets in my 645 gear.

The problems with the spec obviously come into effect after this burst ends, when we come crashing back down over the course of the fight, from there on, I just ensure to get my bomb up with 2 lance procs which is guaranteed every 24 secs from Water Jet and complete the normal rotation.

Any suggestions / additions to the above or any openers with different talents are most welcome!

How do you find your burst using TV compared to PC? Do you value haste>multistrike as the sims generally show for using TV? I'm currently using PC, but I often mess up my burst as I find it kind of misplaced most of the time. Any suggestions? If I find I'm just not cutting it with PC should I just swap to TV? I was under the impression it was a big deal to use PC.

Also, do you exclusively refresh Frost Bomb when you will IL the target? What is your uptime like?

I'm excited for when we will be able to have logs rather than saying I hit this on this with this gear in this set up, lol.

Thanks for posting your experience, I'm sure it will help quite a few people

Atm i'm using Ice Nova and PC, tho PC is rather hard to use correctly it can be really good if you get alot of Ice lance procs in the opener.

What i usually do now:

- Pot
    - Mirror Image
    - Use CD macro (Ragewing, orc racial, Icy veins and a frostbolt at the end to initialise)
    - While i'm casting the first frostbolt i'm also starting Water Jet on with my pet manually so that the first frostbolt will get a proc.
    - Frostbolt
    - Prismatic Crystal macro (stopwatch for counter - 12sec seems to work for me here, place crystal and autotarget)
    - On the Crystal my priority is Ice lance > Ice nova > brain freeze FFB > Frostbolt.

After the Crystal is gone i then start normal rotation and as most i drop from like 50k dps in burst to about 15k dps with Ilvl 636.

Now before anyone comments on it! I am using Frozen orb here too but i'm really unsure about when to use it correctly. For now i've been using it during the PC if i feel like i can get alot of procs out of it but if not i use it after the PC is done for some ekstra burst.

MI right before pull
    Water jet + two frostbolts, lets tank position boss too
    Spend those ice lances
    Frozen Orb + Icy Veins popped
    PC, spam ice lances into PC.
    Fill gaps with Ice Nova and any Frostfire Bolts I may have.

Works well enough for me. I don't like frost bomb, but you'd frost bomb the boss so you can cleave into it with Ice Lance glyphed, or the crystal soon as it's popped if you can't get cleaves off of the PC. I pull upwards of 50k - 60k burst like this with 635 ilevel. I haven't bothered to try and flask or pre-pot though. Obviously what I end with depends on the fight.

This is all with the 15% damage bonus for dungeon groups mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedarsen View Post

Now before anyone comments on it! I am using Frozen orb here too but i'm really unsure about when to use it correctly. For now i've been using it during the PC if i feel like i can get alot of procs out of it but if not i use it after the PC is done for some ekstra burst.
    Use it on the GCD right before PC. Try not to use it during PC as it's effectively a wasted GCD. Your goal is to get as many ice lances into PC as possible. Using it after PC is much worse than using it during PC.
    Last edited by Horror; 2014-11-26 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror View Post
    Use it on the GCD right before PC. Try not to use it during PC as it's effectively a wasted GCD. Your goal is to get as many ice lances into PC as possible. Using it after PC is much worse than using it during PC.

If you are using Frost Bomb on single target, and you Frost Bomb the boss, then Frozen Orb, then Crystal, your Frost Bomb uptime is 9 seconds at best. There's gotta be a better way

Quote Originally Posted by Duroth22 View Post
    If you are using Frost Bomb on single target, and you Frost Bomb the boss, then Frozen Orb, then Crystal, your Frost Bomb uptime is 9 seconds at best. There's gotta be a better way
    Frozen Orb - Frost Bomb - PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Duroth22 View Post
    considering PC lasts 8 seconds, that works out completely fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Horror View Post
    Frozen Orb - Frost Bomb - PC.
    So you don't apply Frost Bomb on PC? Why/Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaikiii View Post
    So you don't apply Frost Bomb on PC? Why/Why not?
    Because if boss moves 1 millimeter away from crystal, glyph of splitting ice stops working and you need to switch back to boss. This adds interactivity, fun and enjoyment to dull frost mage gameplay.
    Last edited by Vasya111; 2014-11-27 at 12:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasya111 View Post
    Because if boss moves 1 millimeter away from crystal, glyph of splitting ice stops working and you need to switch back to boss. This adds interactivity, fun and enjoyment to dull frost mage gameplay.
    Ohhh... now I get it.
    Just read that Splitting Ice also triggers FB Everything makes sense, now... (Sorry, I'm fairly new to frost.)

Nevertheless, if the boss is out of "splitting ice" range (dunno the exact number) but still in PC (8 yard) and FB-explosion (10 yard) range, why should I switch back to the boss? If I would cast FB on the PC, the boss would additionally get damage from the FB itself and even from the FB damage the PC gets or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaikiii View Post
    Ohhh... now I get it.
    Nevertheless, if the boss is out of "splitting ice" range (dunno the exact number) but still in PC (8 yard) and FB-explosion (10 yard) range, why should I switch back to the boss? If I would cast FB on the PC, the boss would additionally get damage from the FB itself and even from the FB damage the PC gets or not?
    Cant say for sure without sim, but i think the best way would be IL boss and FB crystal, unless boss moved right after you have placed PC.
    Last edited by Vasya111; 2014-11-27 at 01:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasya111 View Post
    i dont get it why people pick PC, i hate the veary concept of it, just by the quote alone proving it.
    my opinion tho: running MI, FS and FB

Quote Originally Posted by Systam View Post
    considering PC lasts 8 seconds, that works out completely fine.
    Except that it lasts 12 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by corola10 View Post
    i dont get it why people pick PC, i hate the veary concept of it, just by the quote alone proving it.
    my opinion tho: running MI, FS and FB
    What is FS?

And to those responding please refer to Frost Bomb as is, or Fbomb or something. FB is confusing given that's generally what Frostbolt is.