Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Resto Shaman Stat Priority and Best in Slot List

Hello fellow Resto Shamans!

Does anyone have a Best in Slot List for both Contents (Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry)?

And can anybody tell me the if the following Stat Prio is right? - Mastery>Haste>Crit>Versatility>Multistrike

Thanks alot--
    Brabazz

Hi mate. In my opinion no. I strongly feel crit is our best stat - by far. Based on current itemization of heroic gear and the state of mana + Resurgance. I look for essentially the piece with the most or any crit on it and take whatever the other stat is. In my opinion having a nice spread of stats rather than stacking 2 stats is favourable as a healer. I'm also gemming and enchanting crit on everything. As for a BIS list, i dont have a list or know of any, however dont stress too much about things like this as a healer, take anything thats an upgrade, prioritse spirit and crit if you can. Use the dungeon journal loot tabs to make your decision or plan your decisions out beforehand if you feel the need too. I would like to stress this is my opinion - and not based on some intensive theory crafting bullshit.

Deleted
    I'm in a similar boat too Exaar. On the few pieces of gear that I devote purely to Resto (I'm Ele Main spec so a lot of my items have Multistrike Gems or Enchants) I focus very heavily on crit. I think as we get into Highmaul the value of Mastery will rapidly start too increase as the amount of crit and spirit on gear increases, up too the point where you'll be able to focus on Mastery. However, you can't focus your gear around BiS until you actually have BiS. Its a very common mistake that makes me kind of hate BiS leasts. They are so often only BiS if you have every other (or a lot of) item in the list also.

As you approach BiS, assuming you still feel alright about mana, switch completely over too Mastery and then start swapping out for Haste over Crit. Unlike DPS, healing isn't so throughput focused. This isn't SoO anymore, where you focus 100% on maximising throughput with a perfect 'healing rotation', so it much more balances on your own healing style, and your healing group. If you Healing Surge more often because your raid's healers are all fairly low geared you'll need a lot more Crit, but as you all gear up together you'll be able to use more Healing Waves and throughput will be the bigger issue to make those Healing Waves more effective.

tl;dr - Recommend you focus on Crit for now, until you feel like you have more than enough mana, then slowly start switching over too Mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    i am having mixed results myself. i am seeing a lot of power in mastery with a lot less trouble.

ATM in 630ish unenchanted neck/back/rings im at just under 9% crit with about 58% mastery. have mastery enchant on wep (+proc).
    enchant all crit, and i only get about 1.2% higher crit stat.
    enchant all mastery and i get about 18% higher mastery stat.

its hard to justify boosting a sub 10% stat to still be sub-10% when i can get so much more return from mastery which increases raw output by the same % instead of a double output whammy less than 10% of casts.

Deleted
    Currently I feel like the stat priority would look something like:

Int > Spirit (Until you're comfortable) > Mastery > Crit > Multistrike > Haste > Versatility

I rank Versatility low because I feel like you need oceans of it to have any meaning.
    Been using these priorities since the start and have been doing quite well in regards to output and mana.

Although this does require me to run double spirit trinkets in challenge modes in order to have enough regen, and run Elemental Blast to keep my regen up.

Once you are in raid gear from what I have seen is

Spirit>>Int>mastery>crit/haste>multistrike>versatility

Not sure how much better spirit is than int but I know for paladins in raid gear Spirit is worth about 1.4 int. You will never be able to reach any soft cap of spirit because how impossible it is to stack it.

You always want 2x spirit trinkets even if they don't have int on them. People saying Int>spirit are wrong for sure because I see so many top players using all of the Spirit+Mastery and Spirit+Haste trinkets. That have 159 spirit + 159 secondary instead of normal 159 int+ 159 secondary

Whether or not Intellect or Spirit is better is pretty arbitrary in my opinion.
    They both serve a completely different purpose. One increases output, the other increase longevity. Spirit is a wasted stat if you end fights when mana left.
    The reason why you probably see top players with spirit, is because they tend to chain pull a lot and combine group CC to keep damage lower.
    On top of that they don't interfere a lot, other than on trinket slots.

I personally go for spirit over intellect on trinkets as well, but that's purely because spirit is harder to get. So to get enough spirit you generally want it on all your slots.

Personally my rating is:
    Intellect > Spirit (*) > Mastery > Haste >= Crit >= Multistrike > Versatility
    *) Again depending how much you need the regen, spirit could be higher.

Reasoning:
    1) Mastery top, because I mostly run 5 mans and CM. I notice that most of my heals in CM are going towards people on half health or less. (Or from a different point of view, thats when I want my heals to have the punch to keep them up). And Mastery is simply THE most powerful throughput stat on targets below 50% HP.
    2) Haste; Haste would be my definite nr 2 secondary stat it wasn't for the fact that I can't get enough for it to matter yet. Haste is the best stat for throughput above 50%, but I can't get enough of it yet to (almost completely) stop using Healing Surge in medium-high damage situations.
    3) Crit; Crit has lot a lot of it's power and flavor because they heavily nerfed the mana return from Resurgence and we also lost Ancestral Awakening (the crit cleave heal). It's still a decent stat for some extra throughput and sustain, but you need a lot of crit to get to 1%, and for that same rating you could pick up like 3% extra healing from mastery.
    4) Multistrike; I wasn't sure exactly where to place this. From all the stats (other than versatility) it really benefits us the least; because we have nothing synergizing with multistrike. However since the multistrike rating needed to get 1% is lower than crit I think. It's actually somewhat competetive. (If not this is definitely lower rated than crit)
    5) Versatility. This stat would be good if we didn't need a ridiculous amount of rating to get 1% more healing. But we do, so its not that great.

For gearing I basically follow the following rule of thumb:
    1) If the itemlevel is higher, the gear is generally better. Don't mind the secondary stats (since they're all pretty close together value wise), unless they're REALLY bad (e.g. trading mastery/haste for multistrike/versatility isn't that great). The reason why this holds up most of the time, is because Intellect is SO strong at this point, that it's pretty hard to justify not taking that extra intellect.

2) As far as bonus stats on gear go:
    - Helm / Chest / Legs / Weapons: Warforged > Socket > Tertiary stats > Normal (this goes for 640+ items mostly, for <640 items gem slots are generally better)
    - Shoulders / Wrists / Gloves / Belt / Boots: Warforged = Socket > Tertiary Stats > Normal (sub 640 gem slots are better than warforged)
    - Neck / Back / Rings / Trinkets : Socket > Warforged > Tertiary Stats > Normal

And for tertiary stats: Speed > rest (haven't really checked if avoidance or leech is better)
    Last edited by Nythiz; 2014-11-27 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    in the last few days since i posted here in this thread, an intersting thing has happened.

managed to get more vatiations of the same gear from heroics, etc, with spirit instead of mastery or haste etc. even a couple more warforges with sockets, but primarily both spirit trinkets.
    i expected that would help, right?

well, now i'm going OOM faster than ever, it seems that (imo) the spirit trinkets are not worth the time of farming, the large amount of INT we lose from that slot is just too much to spare, my heals are sub-par with spirit trinks and i have to spam 2x as many of them.

15+ Year Old Account
    A question I didn't find an answer to: do multistrike crits refund mana? If they do, multistrike is "equal" to crit in gear. If they don't, it's the most useless and garbage stat (in addition to versatility).
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I just tested. Multistrike criticals do not proc Resurgence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    A question I didn't find an answer to: do multistrike crits refund mana? If they do, multistrike is "equal" to crit in gear. If they don't, it's the most useless and garbage stat (in addition to versatility).
    As Rheeah said, they don't. Apart from for Elemental Shaman, Multistrike never copies effects at all. It is just a pure duplication of the number alone, with a graphic if the spell if a projectile. If it completely copied a spell, it would be the best stat for everyone (except tanks), because it would be a flat 1% Throughput increase for every 1% Multistrike you had.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    Once you are in raid gear from what I have seen is

Spirit>>Int>mastery>crit/haste>multistrike>versatility

Not sure how much better spirit is than int but I know for paladins in raid gear Spirit is worth about 1.4 int. You will never be able to reach any soft cap of spirit because how impossible it is to stack it.

You always want 2x spirit trinkets even if they don't have int on them. People saying Int>spirit are wrong for sure because I see so many top players using all of the Spirit+Mastery and Spirit+Haste trinkets. That have 159 spirit + 159 secondary instead of normal 159 int+ 159 secondary
    Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Top players play a bit differently. Simply mimicking them (without understanding what they are doing differently) can result in disaster. I could mimick world best marathon runner, sure... for half of an hour. Then I would likely go v-fib.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Top players play a bit differently. Simply mimicking them (without understanding what they are doing differently) can result in disaster. I could mimick world best marathon runner, sure... for half of an hour. Then I would likely go v-fib.
    You're completely right in that regard.
    However, I do feel that two spirit trinkets are definitely the way to go due to the flexibility it allows.

While we might lose some output, we will gain a better regen which will make us last longer when we're not familiar with the fights and are still learning.
    Once we learn about the fights we can start using other gear because we're more familiar with our mana usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirinus View Post
    You're completely right in that regard.
    However, I do feel that two spirit trinkets are definitely the way to go due to the flexibility it allows.

While we might lose some output, we will gain a better regen which will make us last longer when we're not familiar with the fights and are still learning.
    Once we learn about the fights we can start using other gear because we're more familiar with our mana usage.
    What good is unlimited mana if your heals do nothing? Int is weighted very heavily now because of where we are gear wise. It's no surprise a lot of classes have main stats weighted at 3-4x secondary stats.

In terms of trinkets - I think dmc is a great trinket - good balance of int and spirit proc.
    I'm currently running dmc and philo stone very confident going into raid I'm sure I'll be chugging mana pots.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaromama View Post
    What good is unlimited mana if your heals do nothing? Int is weighted very heavily now because of where we are gear wise. It's no surprise a lot of classes have main stats weighted at 3-4x secondary stats.

In terms of trinkets - I think dmc is a great trinket - good balance of int and spirit proc.
    I'm currently running dmc and philo stone very confident going into raid I'm sure I'll be chugging mana pots.
    I will be running with the DMC trinket and a spirit/mastery trinket myself.
    I hardly think that two int trinkets are going to define our entire output. They will definitely increase it, but being able to last the entire fight might produce more output than having to try and constraint yourself to keep your mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirinus View Post
    What good is lasting longer when you're wiping in phase one due to low throughput? There are pros and cons of everything, and all stats help with efficiency to some degree. Spirit is only one half of the mana equation, the other being HPM. If increasing your spirit by 10% means lowering your HPM by 10%, you didn't gain any efficiency. You just lost throughput for nothing.

If you find yourself going OOM often, it could be because your throughput stats are too low, not that your spirit is too low.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

How do you see stats in a 20/25 man context versus 10 man? Does this change anything, or still Mastery as the "best". Personally I will be raiding mostly 20/25 man.

Also, I have heard Blizzard say, that the raid will be lower on HP most of the time, making Rshaman Mastery more valuable. But is this actually correct, or will we see the same as in MOP, where the raid is being brought back quickly to 100% ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yopax View Post
    How do you see stats in a 20/25 man context versus 10 man? Does this change anything, or still Mastery as the "best". Personally I will be raiding mostly 20/25 man.

Also, I have heard Blizzard say, that the raid will be lower on HP most of the time, making Rshaman Mastery more valuable. But is this actually correct, or will we see the same as in MOP, where the raid is being brought back quickly to 100% ?
    Stat priority wise, it shouldn't change too much, if anything Mastery will be better in 25 man. As for how healing will actually end up being in raids, at least in the first tier it should stay the case, but as everyone gets Mythic gear, Avoidance and Leech, that might change, its still something we are going to have to wait and see.

Hey guys, just made an account to comment on this thread. I'm currently 4/7 mythic and I'm having a difficult...no, confusing time of deciding what stat priority I want to stick with. Currently, I am using INT > Spirit > Haste > Mastery > Crit > Multistrike > Versatility.

I'm not really sure what else to say, besides that I take EB for the 1k spirit and I use tellmewhen to use it on CD. With this, I never run out of mana, and sure you might want one of the other 90 talents, but even if I did put spirit before INT, which seems very strange, I don't see myself not going oom on long fights like mythic bracken and mythic twins. I also take EM for an extra 30% haste when I HTT/Ascendance (But this changes on a fight-to-fight basis). The talents I mainly swap around are my tier 4 and 5 talents, as I find all of them useful for many different situations (except echo, since I love glyph of riptide too much).

Deleted
    The problem with the stats is that there are completely different answers according to what content you are playing.
    Basically it is like this:
    • Haste becomes better the more of your healing is done by totems, hr and riptide. This means that it gains more value if more people are in your group/raid and it loses value if you single target heal a lot. It does overall give the most healing in a mythic mode setting which offsets the higher mana usage you have with haste.
    • Mastery gains more value if you are the only healer or you underheal encounters. It also plays a significant role how many absorb healers are in your group. It is the best stat if your targets are under about 60% health (in my mthic raid the average health is about 65-70% usually) and it is the best stat by far in "shit hits the fan" situations.
    • Crit gives a little bit of mana back on your direct heals. This means it is better if you use more single target heals, aka if your group size is rather small (e.g. 5-man). Throughput wise it is behind both mastery and haste in a raid situation by far.
    • Multistrike only gives throughput and no mana back. Else it is the same as crit. You have to however factor in two things for multistrike: You start with a lower base amount than crit making multistrike better throughput wise point for point until you have about 300-400 more multistrike than crit.You also overheal less often with a multistrike than with a crit.
    • Versatility is the worst output stat. Even if you factor in the dmg reduce you get, the additional heal you get from the other stats are higher than the dmg you reduce with versatility.

All in all this gives the following stat prioritys:
    Mythic or any raiding >15man Mastery=Haste>Crit>=Multistrike>Versatility
    10-15man HC/NHC Mastery=Haste=Crit>=Multistrike>Versatility
    5-man/CM Mastery>Crit>Multistrike>Haste>Versatility

Please keep in mind that the value of mastery varies a lot but usually the argument made is if the fight is healing dependant then your mastery is a good stat, if you overheal an encounter or the hps needed is low anyway it doesn't matter at all as you can breeze through the fight even if your hps is a little bit lower.

I also greatly recommend the add-on "RestoShamanStats" as it can give you accurate details for your own healing on what stat is how good. This bypasses the whole "what content, how many healers etc." arguments.
    Last edited by mmoc5a90de1254; 2015-01-28 at 09:42 AM.