Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    WoW's good for what it is. It took a long time to get there though, and there are times when it's possibly the least enjoyable game on the roster, but that comes with the genre. And for that it's a blessing and a curse at the same time - it's the ultimate hit, the must have title in MMORPGs, and yet this game is solely to blame for the fact that the genre became stagnant and unable to evolve over the past years. Every single developer that dares stepping into MMORPGs seems to try to either copy WoW and make a few quick $$$, or tries so hard not to be WoW that they lose all sight of a clear direction.

God of all games? Not in the classic sense. But if we accept that gods may be many and fallible then WoW might be among them. It just wouldn't be the best example of a god.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    Can you please stop with the "All hail WoW" threads? It's becoming embarrassing.
    I knew it would be him before i clicked this thread.

No it is just a computer game. It is neither the biggest or best game. Father of gaming? You are delusional.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Father of gaming? You are delusional.
    Didn't you know?

There were no decent games before 2004.

/sarcasm

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Because it's massive hype even 10 years after release and still one of the most biggest playing games up to date after 10 years.
    and for game companies the most profitable game ever made in history?

So can we consider it to be father of gaming?
    I think it's my PERSONAL fav/best/greatest of my life MMO - But overall games, I don't think it could really take that spot with SO MANY amazing titles from the past.

League of Legends is a bigger influence on games today IMO, it's crazy popular and tons of people play it. It's like a new ERA in fun, competitive pvp, F2P that's not pay2win games.

It's a huge influence on Pro Gaming too with very high stakes and prizes and stadiums dedicated to viewing major tournaments.

I mean even Blizzard is trying their hand at the coined "MOBA/Dota influence" focused genre game with Heroes of the Storm.
    Last edited by Chaosblade; 2014-11-29 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
    League of Legends is a bigger influence on games today IMO, it's crazy popular and tons of people play it. It's like a new ERA in fun, competitive pvp, F2P that's not pay2win games.

It's a huge influence on Pro Gaming too with very high stakes and prizes and stadiums dedicated to viewing major tournaments.

I mean even Blizzard is trying their hand at the coined "MOBA/Dota influence" focused genre game with Heroes of the Storm.
    The MOBA/Dota genre of games wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Warcraft 3, so I'd say they have more right to dip their toe in than anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is top of the MMO genre and an all time classic, as I consider Street Fighter 2 a classic fighting game.

It would be a misguided idea to think of WoW as a pinnacle of anything beyond its own genre, since MMOs tend to be designed in a way that makes for very bad gameplay in most other genres. A necessity of their design and business model is to elongate content as much as possible, resulting in much less bang for the customer's buck and a generally poorly paced experience.
    MMOs could be way more fun, but if they were designed to be pure, distilled fun in the same way most other games are, players would be done with them in a matter of hours/weeks before quitting, rendering the game's business and development model unworkable.

It's pretty much the only big mainstream genre where you can look at the fundamentals of its (successful) design and say "You should never, ever do this when designing games".

Everquest 1 was the father of MMORPGs

It wasn't the first MMORPG, but it was the first major successful MMO which brought up the ideas of most today

As many others have said-

Of western fantasy MMO's, yes. It has certainly been the king within its genre.

However, of all games? Absolutely not. There are plenty of other video games (single player, MOBA, etc.) that have been far more popular than WoW (e.g., The Sims, GTA, Pokemon, Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, LoL...) and of course, games sold/subs does not translate into quality of game.

Plus, it's hard to compare games of different genres - even sub-genres such as 4X vs. RTS, because some people prefer different genres to others.

Deleted
    Not of all games, but maybe in MMO genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, not of all games, I don't think that. It does however hold a firm grip on the MMORPG genre, while Warcraft has lost some grip from being unavilable to the new RTS market.

And can't see it as the father/mother of gaming as that will always be the steps we experienced that brought us here, not what is able to keep us here.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    Can you please stop with the "All hail WoW" threads? It's becoming embarrassing.
    What this guy said. You should stop posting overhyped WoW love threads all over the place.

OT: No, one of the biggest, if not THE biggest of it's genre, but not of all games.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    All games? No. It doesn't classify as every type of game. Is it a 'god' among MMOs? Sure! Many MMOs have tried to achieve what Blizzard has had going for them and somehow Activision-Blizzard seems to be unscathed by any hype-enthused game that comes out.
    Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

--Auron, Final Fantasy X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Electryon View Post
    The MOBA/Dota genre of games wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Warcraft 3, so I'd say they have more right to dip their toe in than anyone else.
    I love it how you go saying it plain out wouldn't exist just because it was originally a mod for WC3.... If someone came up with a mod then you can bet your ass someone would have, sooner or later, made an actual game out of the idea.

As for me... I recently started playing EVE Online. I must say that in terms of complexity WoW doesn't stand a chance. I've never logged into any other game in which I thought to myself "I've no idea what I'm doing".
    I've been playing wow since 2005/6 on and off and I've always been involved in it in some way. But just a few days of playing EVE make me simply with I had started earlier. It's just such an engaging game. Far more so than WoW.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Um...depends.

Most sold game of all times? Nope, pretty sure Pac-Man and Tetris have that covered.
    Best game ever? Nope. It's subjective, but I would think a single player game would be that.
    Most successful MMO ever? Yes, indeed.

WOW has more revenue in the MMORPG field than the numbers 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 combined.

But euh... that was the list in 2013 (without even an expansion published).

So in the field of MMORPG it is the Juggernaut without any doubt due to being the only MMORPG with an income of above 1 billion dollars.

BUT I also like to play other games.

And those games are complete different than WOW and do shine too.

In numbers of hours played though, nothing can even touch the King of MMORPG's really.

The best boardgames I played during my life come close to 200 hours, that's just peanuts in WOW.