Thread: Amd fx-9590

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Amd fx-9590

Thoughts on this processor? I currently own an AMD FX-8350 and I've been contemplating upgrading my CPU/MB. The 9590 is currently on sale for $199 on new egg, Intel die hards save your breath. I know Intel is better, but I'm not spending $300 on a Haswell processor. I currently have a liquid cooling fan for my cpu and it works great, despite hearing that AMD runs super hot my CPU temp never climbs over 24-27 degrees C under a load. Would my PSU be enough to run the 8350? I see it has a lot more power consumption.

This is my cpu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...84&ignorebbr=1
    This is my psu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-028-_-Product
    This is my mb : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-602-_-Product

I've been contemplating upgrading my GPU as well to be set for quite some time. I currently have a Power color R9270x, I'd like to upgrade to an R9290x.

Maybe you can let us know what you want to do with the computer, if it is just to play wow the current GPU is good enough to run that decently. If you are an MMO player I would still suggest going Intel, an i5 CPU is only aroud 220$.

From what I know of PSU's the CX series is not the most reliable one of the bunch but if it is recent and works ok I guess it would be safe to keep that if it is a couple years old i would suggest looking into an upgrade (seasonic, XFX are good brands).

Still hard to suggest upgrades without knowing what the PC will be used for

The 9590 isn't worth it when you can get similar results with the CPU you already have
    You would also need to upgrade your motherboard to one that can handle the 9590's absurd power demand and there aren't many that can.

IMO, OC your CPU(get a aftermarket heatsink if you don't have one already) and upgrade the GPU & PSU, you don't want a 290X running off that CX600.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The 8350 is the exact same CPU as the 9590 just binned higher so it has a higher stock speed, Same silicon same everything so just overclock your 8350 if you can (I'll include a nice guide at the bottom of this post if you have never done it).

Best bet would be to get a new GPU maybe a 290x or 290 which you can find for about $300-$350 now.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/a...us-motherboard Done with an ASUS MB but it will still work fine for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    From what I know of PSU's the CX series is not the most reliable one of the bunch but if it is recent and works ok I guess it would be safe to keep that if it is a couple years old i would suggest looking into an upgrade (seasonic, XFX are good brands).
    I think the CX series is actually made by Seasonic either them or CWT, They are just designed by Corsair.
    Last edited by Flaaffy; 2014-11-30 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added

I'll try overclocking and see how that works out, thank you for the guide.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockzalot View Post
    I'll try overclocking and see how that works out, thank you for the guide.
    For some reason it's not covered in the guide but don't go above 1.55v on your CPU vcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaaffy View Post
    I think the CX series is actually made by Seasonic either them or CWT, They are just designed by Corsair.
    They used to be made by Seasonic but then they switched to CWT and the quality has suffered a fair bit so it's generally advised to go with other options.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaaffy View Post
    CWT. The only SeaSonic CX was the 400W one, and that doesn't exist anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    NO!

Due to throttle issues with motherboards the 9590 is barely able to outperform 8350's. Your motherboard the GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P, is barely able to handle the 8350 as is. In fact I would go as far as to say it can't. Due to poor quality VRM's a lot of 8350 owners are finding their motherboards warping from heat. The 9590 requires a $200 kick ass motherboard to handle it.

Just... no. You'd be better off with an 8370 but that's hardly worth it over a 8350.

Deleted
    If you plug that CPU into central heating system of your house/flat, it's worth the money! (provided you have lot of your own solar panels/wind turbines ready)

Thoughts on this processor? I currently own an AMD FX-8350 and I've been contemplating upgrading my CPU/MB.
    9590 works properly only on 1-2 highest end boards because it needs crazy amounts of power that no regular mobo can supply. It's the same processor as 8350, just factory overclocked so the upgrade is rather poor in value and cost.

The 9590 is currently on sale for $199 on new egg, Intel die hards save your breath. I know Intel is better, but I'm not spending $300 on a Haswell processor.
    I don't really understand the logic of complaining Intel prices while contemplating on buying more expensive mobo for second grade CPU upgrade at the same time. With $200 you can buy H97 mobo and the anniversary edition Pentium G3258 which will beat 9590 in WoW framerates. With plenty of cheaper options like the unlocked Pentium and i3's there's no need to buy $300 CPU unless you want to buy $300 CPU. Intel boards are cheaper than AMD equivalents now because of supply and demand and the myth of Intel side hardware being more expensive is just a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Radoleg View Post
    If you plug that CPU into central heating system of your house/flat, it's worth the money!
    Simple space heaters have better efficiency and cost less than FX-9590.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    9590 works properly only on 1-2 highest end boards because it needs crazy amounts of power that no regular mobo can supply. It's the same processor as 8350, just factory overclocked so the upgrade is rather poor in value and cost.

I don't really understand the logic of complaining Intel prices while contemplating on buying more expensive mobo for second grade CPU upgrade at the same time. With $200 you can buy H97 mobo and the anniversary edition Pentium G3258 which will beat 9590 in WoW framerates. With plenty of cheaper options like the unlocked Pentium and i3's there's no need to buy $300 CPU unless you want to buy $300 CPU. Intel boards are cheaper than AMD equivalents now because of supply and demand and the myth of Intel side hardware being more expensive is just a myth.

Simple space heaters have better efficiency and cost less than FX-9590.
    But can your heater run Skyrim? I don't think so! FUS RO HEAT!

Thoughts on this processor? I currently own an AMD FX-8350 and I've been contemplating upgrading my CPU/MB. The 9590 is currently on sale for $199 on new egg, Intel die hards save your breath. I know Intel is better, but I'm not spending $300 on a Haswell processor. I currently have a liquid cooling fan for my cpu and it works great, despite hearing that AMD runs super hot my CPU temp never climbs over 24-27 degrees C under a load. Would my PSU be enough to run the 8350? I see it has a lot more power consumption.

This is my cpu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...84&ignorebbr=1
    This is my psu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-028-_-Product
    This is my mb : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-602-_-Product

I've been contemplating upgrading my GPU as well to be set for quite some time. I currently have a Power color R9270x, I'd like to upgrade to an R9290x.
    You will need to upgrade your psu if you get that cpu and upgrade to a r9290x. No less than 850w gold psu if you want it to run right. This goes without saying your mobo isn't gonna support the chip either. You need to go 990fx or go home. Might as well pick the board up and you'll be fine with your current cpu.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2014-12-01 at 10:37 AM.

I don't really understand the logic of complaining Intel prices while contemplating on buying more expensive mobo for second grade CPU upgrade at the same time.
    I'm going to guess that they didn't know about the insane power requirement and figured they could just slap it in their current motherboard, which would have probably melted their motherboard if they tried it >_>

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    I'm going to guess that they didn't know about the insane power requirement and figured they could just slap it in their current motherboard, which would have probably melted their motherboard if they tried it >_>
    It's not even enough PSU power to run that GPU/CPU set up either. He'd have to upgrade that as well which is an even bigger cost. 290X + 9590 set up takes about ~650W which is absolutely ridiculous considering the 970+4790k is competitive (and better in many cases, especially single thread) and uses ~350W while not needing some expensive board to power it.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    Motherboards to run the 8350 are fairly cheap now. And this is mostly a motherboard manufacturer issue as a lot of them put sub par VRMs. They got called out on it and finally started to put better quality VRMs, especially Gigabyte. Better websites like Overclock.net have a lot of influence over hardware manufacturers.

Intel has some questionable standards with their CPUs. AMD quad cores are a dime a dozen but the i3 and G3258 are dual core for a hefty price. Quad core ARM cpus are now standard on cheap cell phones and tablets. Also for whatever reason their laptop and desktop markets are totally different. An i5 for laptops is still dual core?

As far as games go the transition to quad core is starting now. Dual core should have died off long ago. Intel should have been offering quad core as standard long ago.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Motherboards to run the 8350 are fairly cheap now. And this is mostly a motherboard manufacturer issue as a lot of them put sub par VRMs. They got called out on it and finally started to put better quality VRMs, especially Gigabyte. Better websites like Overclock.net have a lot of influence over hardware manufacturers.
    He's referring to the 9590, not the 8350.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Intel has some questionable standards with their CPUs. AMD quad cores are a dime a dozen but the i3 and G3258 are dual core for a hefty price. Quad core ARM cpus are now standard on cheap cell phones and tablets. Also for whatever reason their laptop and desktop markets are totally different. An i5 for laptops is still dual core?
    Hefty price for a dual core CPU that in most cases destroys ANY AMD CPU in video game benchmarks? (Minus the few games that support heavy multi threaded CPUs such as BF4 and Crysis) Yea definitely sounds unreasonable.

Just another day of Duke trying to make AMD CPUs seem like the ultimate choice in gaming when it unfortunately hasn't been the case for a loooong time. I'm not sure how long you're going to keep up with that. And you're still on the argument of VRMs. There is absolutely no reason why a 9590 should have a TDP of 220W while a 4790k that performs better in every way, ESPECIALLY single thread, has a TDP of only 88W. VRMs wouldn't even be a problem if it wasn't the case.

Trying to question Intel's use of dual cores and pricing is pretty dumb when you consider how terrible AMD has been with development over the past few years. If AMD would give some real competition maybe Intel wouldn't be here today offering up dual cores that compete easily with AMDs quad cores.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

You know what would be nice? If you guys didn't turn this into yet another AMD VS Intel thread.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    You know what would be nice? If you guys didn't turn this into yet another AMD VS Intel thread.
    Well unfortunately it usually starts with misinformed people posting bad information, and that seems to be impossible to avoid on these forums lately.

I think we all agree 9590 is a waste. Way too much power consumption, board won't handle it. PSU won't handle it. AMD made a pretty shit move releasing that CPU. "Intel die hard fan" or not, only upgrade worth the time and money is going to Intel, and even then honestly not worth the money unless the OP is so unhappy with his gaming performance that he can justify the costs because the 9590 wouldn't change much in those games anyways. Overclocking is the cheapest option.

270X is worth upgrading as it's pretty much the minimum in today's requirements for quality gaming. I personally recommend the GTX 970 due to power efficiency compared to the 290X, but if AMD drivers are your thing then the 290X is similar performance.

Not much else to say.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-01 at 04:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Hefty price for a dual core CPU that in most cases destroys ANY AMD CPU in video game benchmarks? (Minus the few games that support heavy multi threaded CPUs such as BF4 and Crysis) Yea definitely sounds unreasonable.
    Games are now starting to REQUIRE quad cores. Ain't going to destroy nothing if the game won't even run.

Trying to question Intel's use of dual cores and pricing is pretty dumb when you consider how terrible AMD has been with development over the past few years. If AMD would give some real competition maybe Intel wouldn't be here today offering up dual cores that compete easily with AMDs quad cores.
    It doesn't help when you guys constantly tell people to go buy Intel dual cores. You're enabling people to be stuck with CPU's that eventually won't run new games. Intel only competes when games are limited to dual cores, which are like the majority of games so far. Due to the recent trend in games, anything bellow $180 is dominated by AMD. Cause I would never recommend anyone to get anything less then a i5 because quad core. For the few frames you may gain on the Intel, it won't do you any good if the game requires more than two cores. Hyper threading doesn't count.