Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

Number of healers to use in Highmaul?

Hi all,

So with the flex style raids now I'm a bit confused as to the amount of healers we should bring Tuesday. I know a lot depends on the quality of healers but just a general number would be helpful. It looks like we might have around 20-25 people showing up (Let's say 23 show up for discussion purposes). I think we'll start in normal just to get a feel for things then be moving into heroic / mythic in the future. And as kind of a side question has anyone figured out a good number of healers for mythic?

Thanks for the advice

tl;dr

How many healers for about 23 people in normal highmaul?

15+ Year Old Account
    1 healer per 5 people is good way to go. So in your case of 23 people just to be on safe side maybe use 5, but I think you should be ok with 4 very good ones.
    My twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/durbem I stream my guild's mythic raids, but I'm also streaming other games from time to time.

20% of your raid being healers would probably be good, round up just so you have some leeway for learning mechanics, and maybe have one switch if it seems like healing is fine, but you need more dps.

As far as I know, Mythic 20m is designed around 4-5 healers for a group of 20 people. I think it's pretty safe to assume that, for sub-Mythic difficulties, the same general tuning will apply, where you'll want 4-5 healers for a group of 20ish people.

I also agree with the "rule of 5" so to speak, with one healer for every 5 people in your group, so you'll want, again, 4-5 healers depending on the skill of your group.

I cannot find the quote but I do recall Blizzard throwing that 5 number around a lot. I am sure it will flex between 4-5 for most mythic groups with some elite ones maybe dropping to 3 (really good guilds). Four if your peps are worth a damn and get out of fire good, 5 if they are average, and if it takes more than 5 you are likely done for anyway.