Poll: Is it worth having a camera to stream

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it worth having a camera while streaming....

Like the title says is it worth having a camera while stream.

So to be clear I stream at this time via my ps4 only and I have considered getting a playstation 4 camera. But I was wondering is it really worth it. Will it help build fallower count at all. Do people really watch the cam of the streamer or the content of the video or maybe both.

I do watch them from time to time but I also can watch streams that don't have cams.

What is ur guys take on it and is it really worth dropping $60 on a playstation 4 camera. I do this as a hobbie I don't plan to try to get rich or anything like that its just something I do for fun.

I am asking all streamers who stream no matter the platform. I can't do it from my PC at this time and I am thinking of just sticking to my ps4 for now.

Edit Update: Also to add what do you guys think about ps4 streamers who use the window where u can see the chat on screen. Do u think its better full or with chat. I think its better with full because I been using chat and if need me I can read the chat via my PC
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-12-01 at 05:29 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

No.

Because you can interact just as well with your audience without a camera and still get a ton of views. Gopher for example.

If your going to enjoy having people watch you play on your sofa for the price of $60, go do that. If not, then don't. Not much difference I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    No.

Because you can interact just as well with your audience without a camera and still get a ton of views. Gopher for example.

If your going to enjoy having people watch you play on your sofa for the price of $60, go do that. If not, then don't. Not much difference I'd say.
    See thats what I was thinking as well. I rather buy a new game to stream then to spend $60 on a cam.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Like the title says is it worth having a camera while stream.

So to be clear I stream at this time via my ps4 only and I have considered getting a playstation 4 camera. But I was wondering is it really worth it. Will it help build fallower count at all. Do people really watch the cam of the streamer or the content of the video or maybe both.

I do watch them from time to time but I also can watch streams that don't have cams.

What is ur guys take on it and is it really worth dropping $60 on a playstation 4 camera. I do this as a hobbie I don't plan to try to get rich or anything like that its just something I do for fun.

I am asking all streamers who stream no matter the platform. I can't do it from my PC at this time and I am thinking of just sticking to my ps4 for now.
    I myself prefer streamers without cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I myself prefer streamers without cameras.
    Thats good to know thx for the feedback

I personally don't mind etherway I just try to keep whoever may be watching entertained but I feel maybe because they can't see me they can't be.

Also to add what do you guys think about ps4 streamers who use the window where u can see the chat on screen. Do u think its better full or with chat. I think its better with full because I been using chat and if need me I can read the chat via my PC.

Are you a cute and/or hot girl? If so, go for it. You'll get a lot more viewers.
    No? Don't bother unless you're an egomaniac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if you're attractive a camera might help your viewer count a small amount, but they wouldn't be consistent viewers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

For sure. Camera helps people connect with you and will help get more views. You are already streaming so I don't see why you wouldn't get a 60$ camera.

Stood in the Fire masterdisaster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My stream is by no means popular but on it I use a camera with a super cheap green screen, I find that that way it is less intrusive and takes up less real estate on the stream, and I enjoy watching streams that are set up that way. That being said, cameras being a good idea is entirely dependent upon the stream and the game but if you have one you have the option to toggle it on and off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Egomaniac? Honestly I prefer streamers with cameras to the ones without it, simply because of reactions. It feels like the streamer interacts a whole lot more with the viewers when the camera is on. The streamer doesn't even have to interact with the people at all, it still feels like more of an interaction than not having a cam (completely subjective opinion).

It kind of depends, for some people having a camera is a big help, not just because they're hot girls but because of the way they act on camera, it adds to the entertainment because of their reactions. But some people just sit there and stare at the screen, so them having a camera is pretty irrelevant. There are plenty of people getting 10k+ views every time they stream without a camera, so it definitely isn't necessary, but at the same time it works for some people's style.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Honestly, if you're attractive a camera might help your viewer count a small amount, but they wouldn't be consistent viewers.
    It used to until Twitch cracked down on the whole cleavage thing. Of course, there are many other streaming services out there which don't have this rule.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Are you a cute and/or hot girl? If so, go for it. You'll get a lot more viewers.

Not true. I see many attractive streamers sit at low viewer counts.

Overall, here's the thing, aside from viewership numbers: which would you feel you'd get the most out of for your $60? A camera for people to see you on, or a new game to play with, hm? Don't buy something your not going to enjoy.

I guess I'm old because I just don't understand why people stream (video games), or why people watch streamers. Unless the stream is essentially comedy unto itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Help ol Gil Out View Post
    It used to until Twitch cracked down on the whole cleavage thing. Of course, there are many other streaming services out there which don't have this rule.
    It didnt change a thing.. you can still show cleavage, as long as its a shirt and not a bra/sport bra/bikini top... common sense basically. There are still a ton of cleavage on twitch.. and anyway, its not just that. As WskyDK said "attractive".. it doesnt mean sexy outfit, just good looking.

It depends a bit on the game and personality. A game like Hearthstone, for example, I think goes well with a camera, because the way the streamer reacts to the often absurd things that happen in that game are part of the fun. It also has a lot of pauses, for the streamer to use the camera to interact with the audience a little more meaningfully.

Don't think it does anything useful in games like SC2 where the player is too focused to really make emotes, or for story-driven games where it's just a distraction. Unless you're there for the camwhoring, anyway.

Games like LoL are a bit in-between. Player will probably be too focused to play with the camera most of the time, but it has lots of moments (like when you're dead, or in queue) where you have nothing better to do, so I guess it sometimes works there.
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2014-12-02 at 01:37 PM.

I would have to say its personal choice really, I started to stream but not sure if I like it. As said before sure if your attractive then ya it will help follower base. It will help with donatations if your into that, I saw one woman in the matter of 1 year streaming made $50,000+ just from donations. It's all personal choice on what you like, do you want people seeing you and what your doing while playing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I guess I'm old because I just don't understand why people stream (video games), or why people watch streamers. Unless the stream is essentially comedy unto itself.

I don't understand what people watch reality shows, or sports, or dramas ... People each have their own preference.

Deleted
    I never understand why people even add facecams on such things. I can understand camwhores who undress to get viewers/donations but other than that, what's the point? People are there to watch the game not your mug.