Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    The clockspeed difference is only 100 - 300 Mhz (depending on model of course), I highly doubt that will matter much even in these games.

Seeing as it wont use all the cores, I think the quad core will run at turbo speed.
    Some are as high as 500-600Mhz, which makes a pretty big difference on your minimum fps when you need it most. As I said above I mistakened the OP for another thread who played games such as WoW and nothing that would benefit from quad core, which is where my comment came from. I should probably just edit that comment out because of it.

EDIT: There it's gone lol.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by kopasetic View Post
    What exactly is wrong with AMD 8320 Eight-cores? I use this and have zero troubles with WoW or FF14 or SWTOR? :O
    Here's the answer.... nothing that will matter to you.
    The last part is what generally falls of the face of the fucking planet when discussing this. The bell curve for the average user couldn't tell the fucking difference if a gun was pointed at their families.

Across the board, dollars to donuts, it's perfectly fine. The main difference between the 8320 vs the 8350 is high end over clocking (or dumb luck). That being said, what also gets left out of the "Single core" big dick debate is the price point. Price difference between a decent AMD fx build and an i7 in just cpu and mobo can in pretty easily at the $225-300 mark. Which is strangely the price difference between crossfire/sli or NOT. ( Amd 8350fx $140, i7-4790k $300 and the UD5 line from Gigabyte is about $100 difference between AMD and Intel sockets. Oh look... $260... aka as a second R9 280x how the fuck about that.)

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the whole premise of AMD vs Intel. You really won't notice any difference.

Another thing to keep in mind with PC games is who sponsored the game. Like Nvidia can sponsor a game and you'll see a "Way It's Meant to be Played" logo pop up. These games heavily favor those who sponsor the game. Dragon Age Inquision for example has big favoritism towards AMD GPU's. Especially if you turn on Mantle. As for CPU performance the 8350 does match i7's at 1080p. But remove the GPU bottleneck by lowering resolutions and the frame difference is 40. That's a pretty massive difference even though we're talking about frame rates well above 100.

Interestingly Intel's that are i5 3470 or higher generally perform equally. It's also the same with FX chips that are 6 cores or higher. Not even the aging 8150 is all that different from the 8350. The Phenom II X6 that was favored over the 8150 is doing noticeably worse. This is interesting cause we're now starting to see some games use more than dual cores. At 1200p it all evens out but again this is an AMD sponsored game.

Quote Originally Posted by TechSpot
    We didn't test Dragon Age: Inquisition with any dual-core processors because the game wouldn't run. When using either an AMD or Intel dual-core CPU the game locks up at either the loading screen or the main menu if it gets that far. Both cores see 100% load while the system hangs.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    That's the whole premise of AMD vs Intel. You really won't notice any difference.

Another thing to keep in mind with PC games is who sponsored the game. Like Nvidia can sponsor a game and you'll see a "Way It's Meant to be Played" logo pop up. These games heavily favor those who sponsor the game. Dragon Age Inquision for example has big favoritism towards AMD GPU's. Especially if you turn on Mantle. As for CPU performance the 8350 does match i7's at 1080p. But remove the GPU bottleneck by lowering resolutions and the frame difference is 40. That's a pretty massive difference even though we're talking about frame rates well above 100.

Interestingly Intel's that are i5 3470 or higher generally perform equally. It's also the same with FX chips that are 6 cores or higher. Not even the aging 8150 is all that different from the 8350. The Phenom II X6 that was favored over the 8150 is doing noticeably worse. This is interesting cause we're now starting to see some games use more than dual cores. At 1200p it all evens out but again this is an AMD sponsored game.
    When they removed the GPU bottle neck, the frames went up on ALL intel processors including the lower end i5. Because in terms of CPU power the intels beat out AMD in gaming. That 40% more single threaded power makes a huge difference when we're talking about the difference between ~25fps and ~40fps. That first graph makes it very clear.

And yes, the game is a little more optimized for AMD GPUs, but that has nothing to do with the CPUs. Games are going to be that way with GPUs. Some will be designed to work better than the other. The rest of the graphs just show that the game is more GPU bound than CPU, because the difference in fps for even the Athlons is minimal when you crank up the settings.

TLDR: You basically just gave us an article showing exactly what we've been saying for an incredible long time and yet you somehow seemed to interpret it differently. You picked a GPU bound game to try and make a point in terms of CPU power.

And I think it's been made very clear DA:I doesn't support dual cores. I linked a fix for that earlier actually to show that dual cores can still handle the game just fine. Lack of support is just a bad move on the dev's part.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    If it's a build already bought I don't see the point of the thread. I believe they're usually locked by mods because they either end in bickering or regret. Usually, if you want feedback on a build, you do it before building. OP hasn't replied since 2014-12-01.

It seem all or most of the discussions in this thread originated from misinformation or linking of charts that are wrong to begin with. Unfortunately a lot of Ubisoft games are so poorly optimized they won't work well with certain setups until patched. Ubisoft even offered free stuff to compensate for their failure. You can't blame CPU manufacturers who created these CPU's long before X, y and Z games was released.

I'd go with something like this, if you didn't already buy the system:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($93.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.65 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $526.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-03 23:18 EST-0500

Yeah it's $500 with no OS, look for a deal, reuse old OS, maybe something through school or save up. It'll be much better in the long run.

Wow sorry to start a Intel vs AMD tirade which was not my intention.

My intention was a new rig on the cheap and I totally accomplished that. AMD is far cheaper than Intel and the processor I bought is light years better than what I have. I know the Intel chips are better but for the price of that i5 I got a processor and mobo.

Im happy with my purchase, and once I get thd HD and OS, everything else is here already, I mighf make a thread about building it and performance.

Thanks for the input.

Deleted
    This is why these topics are not very helpful (no offense), if you're happy with your purchase then you're not going to change your mind as you already bought it. The system above that I suggested is much better in the long run for not that much extra.

Much better to post the end results here to "show off" your rig

Bumping this to relate my gaming experiences with my new AMD rig.

The 8320 and R9 270x combo chews up everything I throw at it in Ultra with ease. On Dragon Age 3 I get an absolutely amazing 48 fps which is more than anyone needs to enjoy the game. The game looks stunning, and would have killed my old A8-3800. Granted, I haven't played the most demanding games with my new rig like Farcry 4, but I'm not a huge first person fan.

As for the MMO games I play, both SWTOR and Wow play at ultra just fine, with me being able to keep SWTOR in ultra for raids, its not possible with Wow. No big deal for now as I'm more into single player experiences than MMo's at the moment due to the Steam sale.

Is the Intel system suggested better? Probably, but for what I want right now and what I spent, I'm very, very pleased with the system. I do have to give massive props to the Rosewill case, this thing has 3 additional fans and so far my CPU has never gotten over 40 degrees even running DA at max settings. Very pleased with the value case purchase.

This did make me a believer in building my own from now on. I had that ignorance to just buy in inferior prebuilt because I assumed building your own would be hard but its really not. There are so many videos and you can get top notch advice from sites like this and others I think all PC gamers should just bucked down and do it. Its much more satisfying and personally I think I gained and extra inch on my e-peen from it all.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, happy holidays to you all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody plays WoW raids at 60 fps on ultra. Not sure how Intels do in raids compared to AMD since there isn't any easy way to benchmark that. As long as you get 30 fps during raids you should be fine and your raid leader won't call you out for standing in the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by The Handsome Stranger View Post
    This did make me a believer in building my own from now on. I had that ignorance to just buy in inferior prebuilt because I assumed building your own would be hard but its really not. There are so many videos and you can get top notch advice from sites like this and others I think all PC gamers should just bucked down and do it. Its much more satisfying and personally I think I gained and extra inch on my e-peen from it all.
    You got to see the good side of building your PC. When things work it feels so nice. When things go wrong, you go crazy. And chances are it isn't your fault. Cause unless you have magic powers fixing things can be frustrating.