Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Snacks, home made

I've got two snacks that I make. One is corn tortillas, cheap around these parts, toasted on the stove burner and smeared with peanut butter. Think of a peanut butter taco, but there isn't a lot of peanut butter because it would glue your mouth shut. The other is popcorn. I have an air popper and I make a quart of the stuff at a time. I sprinkle vege oil over it and then some salt.

Thing about these snacks is they take a little time and effort to make. If I get a bag of chips or cookies something pre-made I'll eat them all in one sitting.

I was wondering if you have any snack ideas that take a bit of time and effort to make but not too much time and effort. Cheap is a bonus.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Beef Jerky, easy to make yourself but very time consuming. Buy a food dehydrator and it becomes a doddle, then all you do is buy up all the meat from the cheap counter that is about to go out of date.

it sounds delicious but i keep reading for the protein parts.

Does baking brownies or cupcakes count? I mean. They're kind of home made.

My grandma wants to make her own bread and pie crusts and stuff and just today asked me for the recipes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Does baking brownies or cupcakes count? I mean. They're kind of home made.

My grandma wants to make her own bread and pie crusts and stuff and just today asked me for the recipes.
    Buy her a bread maker, easy as hell and you can make all sorts.

cucumber + cottage cheese is my only snack tbh. I've grown to like it, its not the most tasty but hell, healthy body healthy mind.

A jar of nutella transferred into a bowl and microwaved for 10 seconds. I microwaved it, i made it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just make sandwiches or pasta, rather than have it as a meal ill just have it in smaller serves
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Buy her a bread maker, easy as hell and you can make all sorts.
    Oh I see. I guess we were just gonna mix stuff, throw it into like a loaf pan, and throw it in the oven. But bread maker...interesting. Thanks for suggestion.

Btw idk if this is normal, but we (not too frequently) make our own plantain chips by cutting it up and throwing it in a pan of oil. I guess theoretically you could make any chip? Doesn't sound healthy or easy though lol.

there's lot of snacks you can make if you have a few things on hand. Peanut Butter in itself makes for easy snacks, you can put peanut butter on a variety of things...toast, pb&j (or even toasted pb&j lol) you can slap some peanut butter on celery, top it off with raisins its called something like ants on a log, the raisins being the ants....

Make a good cheese dip, its simple but time consuming you take a block of velveeta (if you want go even fancier, get a different flavor instead of original like the mexican style or even the white blanco cheese) and then you just cut it into cubes (cut length wise with a long knife, kinda like strips, then you cut across the other way, break it down into cubes)

you toss the cubes into a skillet, you melt that down a bit, being careful to sit it on low, it will scorch fast. Toss in a can or 2 of rotel diced tomatoes (again you can go fancy with diferent varieites of rotel) and i like to add either hamburger (i really like ground turkey, or even ground pork) add in a little can of green chiles, you stir it up, melt it down, and simmer...makes for some fanstastic eating, every time i make it, never have seconds or ever gets put into the fridge, my family devours it lol

With your popcorn try adding the numerous kinds of seasonings they have, check your grocery store for those little seasoning bottles in the popcorn aisle, like they have cheddar and i think even cinnamon sugar, or caramel, ranch etc.

Make fried potatoes, cut them thin fry them up, toss with seasoning, put in big bowl douse with salt, garlic powder, oninon powder, etc put a lid on bowl and shake it up, for some mmm tasty home made chips. Can make fries the same way, cutting the potatoes long length instead of chips of course.

Could make snack trail mix, just take chex mix, add in raisins, peanuts, any kind of nuts, can season the ingredients, or make doggy chow which is chex mix that is tossed with peanut butter then tossed in powdered sugar, can then add even chocalate syrup, you bake it in big batches, so tasty.

Dried fruits are a good snack too, as said before get a dehydrator, then you can take bananas and cut them into slices, make banana chips, apricot, mango, pretty much anything can be dried and made into a really good snack, you can even then combine multiple fruits together into a trail mix of sorts, combine mango, apricot, peanuts, and coconut flakes etc.

....for the sake of a long post...i'll stop here, but yeah should give you some good ideas

Damn, now I'm getting hungry. lol

Hunting season is over, but a lot of people give away meat when it's going. Also there are big meat sales at certain times of the year. Sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on popcorn sounds tastey.

It's dry enough here were I probably don't need a dehydrator.

I have been buying bags of frozen veges like frozen peppers and peas and carrots and then making a kind of salad out of them with oil and vinegar. Balsamic vinegar would be fantastic with that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'm a firm believer in the classic cheese and crackers. Though I do enjoy mushrooms too. here's a link to some marinated ones I like.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ms-recipe.html

10+ Year Old Account
    I make my own brownies, but with mine there are no walnuts since i hate them, and instead I bake to top layer of the brownies to be crisp while the main body of it remains soft and gooey.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Home made toffee?

I loved making that on Christmas day and smashing it with a small silver hammer, didn't take long at all and was very tasty, also cheap!

10+ Year Old Account
    I love making koroke. They're a little time consuming, but you can make a batch and put em in the fridge for a week or two.

Dice a whole white onion, shred or dice a carrot and throw them in a frying pan. Once the onion is caramelized throw ~1 pound of ground beef or turkey in there and cook it with a little salt and pepper and set it aside when it's done. Then make some mashed potatoes, just the potatoes though no cheese or butter or anything. Mix the meat and potatoes together with an egg (and some red pickled ginger if you can get some) and make balls and put em in the fridge. After they get cold enough to stay firm dip em in flour, egg and panko bread crumbs and deep fry em. Eat em with katsu sauce. They're a weeaboo treat
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    I really can't think of many snacks that require less time and effort to make than the two things you mentioned. Both of those seem (to me) very easy and very quick to make.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I like to buy some mozzarella and just throw some tomatoes in with oil+balsamic vinegar. Its awesome and takes like 12 seconds.
    Wow you got taste

Do you use basilicum leaves as well? Its the italian flag

Classic salad Caprese
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprese_salad
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2014-12-02 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Beef Jerky, easy to make yourself but very time consuming. Buy a food dehydrator and it becomes a doddle, then all you do is buy up all the meat from the cheap counter that is about to go out of date.
    You don't even need a dehydrator. When I make jerky I just use a box fan and some air conditioner filters.

Here's a few quick and easy to make snacks-in-a-mug: http://imgur.com/gallery/H6wsB