Page 1 of 2
LastLast

After a night of raiding , Prot. Threat ?

Tonight was our guild's first raid since servers where down mostly all night yesterday . Anyways ive decided to go the mastery way going into raid over crit just for the extra survivability . Something i notice very quickly is my Tanking partner ( Pally ) Generates alot more threat than i do .

Did the nerf to shield slam and Revenge really drop down our threat or is it simply im going more into mastery over Crit. ? In SoO i was purely Crit. and and this wasnt an issue .

Just curious if anyone else is noticing this . I havn't changed my playstyle or rotation , simply my way of gemming and enchants .

Here's my armory if needed - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ockes/advanced

Thanks in advance . Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    642 Crit>mast Prot reporting in. Co-tank was a 651 Brewmaster. His kegsmash was really ripping threat. I had to move my target of target way up into my field of view to ensure I still had the boss. Need to either buff our threat gen or remove that 20% damage nerf we just got hit with. Alternatively, just reduce the damage of those spells in glad stance some and leave def stance alone?
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

Deleted
    Very stange yipp. Same here Pally with same ILvL 638 it was very hard to hold the aggro that was no fun.

Also tanked with a paladin, wouldnt say I had issues per say keeping aggro, but my enemy health bar was pretty much yellow constantly when I tanked, meaning he was pretty close all the time from getting aggro, but overall its nowhere near as bad as back in ToT.

Deleted
    1100 Mastery, 780 Crit prot warrior here. I found my DPS to be -just- higher than the Blood DK I was tanking with, but our threats were pretty much identical. Equal gear level. His AoE was a lot stronger than mine after Ravager expired, however. Pre-WoD 6.0 I was tanking with a Brewmaster partner, and he destroyed my threat. Even the Guardian Druid who was ~10 ilevels below me was hard to play with.

It's a very silly system, coming from somebody that raided in vanilla and TBC, where instead of fighting the DPS for threat, we have to fight our co-tank instead.

EDIT: Typo

Do taunts still DR on bosses ? if not you could taunt on cd or something maybe ? ^^ (increased thread gen for 3 sec after taunt)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    It's fine.
    Yes I take much lees damage than my pally partner - thats really fine but if both play great its very hard for me as a warrior to get/hold aggro and thats really anoying.

Can nod to the dmg intake is fine, my pala friend was getting rekted by Mar'gok when he reached 8-9 stacks while I comfortably tanked it at 12+

Deleted
    Multiple times our Prot Paladin over aggro'd the Guardian Druid just by doing his rotation, perhaps we're at a stage where tanks need to.. y'know stop dpsing.

Quote Originally Posted by chaddd View Post
    642 Crit>mast Prot reporting in. Co-tank was a 651 Brewmaster. His kegsmash was really ripping threat. I had to move my target of target way up into my field of view to ensure I still had the boss. Need to either buff our threat gen or remove that 20% damage nerf we just got hit with. Alternatively, just reduce the damage of those spells in glad stance some and leave def stance alone?

I had problems with AoE threat, such as when on tectus and tanking the spores(right? when it splits into 4) the druid would end up pulling them off me with his aoe threat. Maybe I'm just used to the MoP style of AoE tanking and not rotating single target threat generation within a group as much as I should.

As for single target threat I would generate more than both the BM Monk and Guardian Druid in our team.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    aoe threat is still a thing for prots. The 6 second cd on Thunderclap really hurts. On the other hand, we can pick three decent aoe talents, one of them being placeable afar. Not mentioning the banner.
    Single target wise, I currently tank with a drood. In AoE situations he will get the better of me, but in single target fights he can mash through without ripping threat. Dragon´s Roar really gives me the edge early on and the gap increases up to the first taunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    In AoE situations he will get the better of me, but in single target fights he can mash through without ripping threat. Dragon´s Roar really gives me the edge early on and the gap increases up to the first taunt.
    Yeah that's basically what I'm seeing, I think I just need to utilise my skills better and rotate single target threat more. I wouldn't see it as an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    Multiple times our Prot Paladin over aggro'd the Guardian Druid just by doing his rotation, perhaps we're at a stage where tanks need to.. y'know stop dpsing.

How is this a problem? That 'stage' was pretty normal a few years ago.

Taunts the target to attack you, and increases threat that you generate against the target for 3 sec.

Misdirection
    100 yd range
    Instant 30 sec cooldown
    Requires Hunter
    Requires level 42
    You misdirect threat to the targeted party or raid member. All threat caused by your attacks for the next 8 sec will be transferred to the target.

I really do not see the problem except that people need to learn how to play. I think it would be pretty stupid to go for crit because of this. Mastery is better for avoidance and you want that especially during progression when you want damage to be predictable.

It wasn't a major issue , just wanted some feedback before i did any changes . After looking on logs his damage intake was alot higher than mine . He is gemming and enchanting into haste so that would be the reason . I guess the days of SoO are over . Thanks for the feedback and cheers !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    That would go against blizzards design intent for the past 3 years or so.
    They dont want threat to matter, in any sense.

Why should tanks be throttled by threat ?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    How is this a problem? That 'stage' was pretty normal a few years ago.

Taunts the target to attack you, and increases threat that you generate against the target for 3 sec.

Misdirection
    100 yd range
    Instant 30 sec cooldown
    Requires Hunter
    Requires level 42
    You misdirect threat to the targeted party or raid member. All threat caused by your attacks for the next 8 sec will be transferred to the target.

I really do not see the problem except that people need to learn how to play. I think it would be pretty stupid to go for crit because of this. Mastery is better for avoidance and you want that especially during progression when you want damage to be predictable.
    Mastery is better for blocks. Blocks are not avoidance. Blocks are mitigation.
    All in all, if you prefer less spicky damage then go for mastery. If you prefer less damage taken over all, go for crit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    I wasn't suggesting not dpsing for a few seconds was a bad thing, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
    Yes I take much lees damage than my pally partner - thats really fine but if both play great its very hard for me as a warrior to get/hold aggro and thats really anoying.
    I'm sorry but I think you're doing it wrong. My threat is fantastic.

EDIT: It occurs to me it's also possible your pally is doing it wrong and making you look bad. Some people still think taunting on cooldown is a good thing for an offtank to do. it's a good thing to do when you're actively tanking so long as you're not going to miss adds or mandatory swaps since it boosts your threat output, but it's a stupid thing for an offtank to do outside of an intended swap.

But head to head you shouldn't have any issues if done right by both parties.
    Last edited by Heladys; 2014-12-04 at 05:40 PM.

It'd really help to see some logs. There may be some subtle difference in the way you're doing things that's having a snowball effect with your threat.