Question about WW rotation

I have a few questions

1. The WW only ability earth wind fire or w/e it's called that puts out another image but makes you deal 30% less dmg, is that for AOE only, I assume it's terrible for single target like butcher fights?

2. I saw another monk use tiger palm 115 times in a fight and he said it was for procs but was doing less DPS, i'm guessing you're not suppose to be doing that?

3. I use ascension + chi explosion but i've seen a lot of monks using chi brew + serenity which is better?

4. is Xuen single target only?

1) Using SEF on single target is a terrible idea. If you are targeting an enemy that has one of your SEF clones on it, that clone won't copy any of your abilities. It just auto attacks.

2) I'm not sure what he was trying to proc. Nothing special procs from TP. Maybe he was fishing for trinket procs, but that would be a very poor use of chi. In case that wasn't clear, you shouldn't TP unless your TP buff is about to wear off or you have a combo breaker proc and have nothing else to do.

3) Asc/ChEx is king for AoE. CB/Sere is best for single target. You'll want to change it on a per fight basis.

4) No. Xuen will prefer to attack your target, but he does an AoE while he's out.

If you haven't read it already, the WW sticky is a good read if you have any questions about WW: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Windwalker-PvE
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-12-05 at 06:54 AM.

Maybe i'm just bad with Serenity, but after learning Ascention/ChiEx, it's hard to go back to Chi brew/Serenity. Maybe I just prefer the rotation, but having a ranged chi spell is really nice in some situations where it might be difficult to otherwise get to the boss.

Edit: Ok, so i'm bad with Chi Brew, not Serenity. Dps increase on single target by switching to Serenity. At least target dummy testing, where mobility comes into play, i'm not sure which will be more useful.
    Last edited by Amandi; 2014-12-05 at 10:23 AM.

The single-target damage increase from using Chi Brew/Serenity isn't terribly higher than sticking with Ascen/ChiEx, so I've personally been doing every fight as Ascen/ChiEx and taking Xuen. This lets me put everything into getting the right set for that build without having to worry about having an offset for Serenity, and it covers all the bases required. ChiEx is amazing for cleave and AoE, Ascension is pretty fantastic for the bonus energy regen and Xuen's single target and AoE damage are both superb, so you shouldn't have to worry about swapping talents much at all, if ever.

Sidenote, using one particular setup for everything will help let you familiarize yourself with a playstyle and perfect it quicker, and that'll help your damage more than anything else will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going back to the OP I'd imagine he was consuming his TP procs, not trying to proc something with it. In low haste levels we're somewhat energy starved at some points its just unavoidable. If during those moments you have no chi, no energy (chances are you did something wrong) but if TP is proc'd you can dump it. That is not to say its not a minor dps loss, some people just don't like waiting for something else to use.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

Deleted
    Managing Chi Brew is somewhat hard if u just started playing monk. You should stick for a while until u feel confortable enough to try out Chi Brew. It's the best option for single target but u gotta learn how to use it properly

Quote Originally Posted by Modance View Post
    Managing Chi Brew is somewhat hard if u just started playing monk. You should stick for a while until u feel confortable enough to try out Chi Brew. It's the best option for single target but u gotta learn how to use it properly
    How is it hard to manage...? 2 Chi and 2 stacks of TEB on a 45 sec recharge. Not rocket science to always bank 1 charge for TEB.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    How is it hard to manage...? 2 Chi and 2 stacks of TEB on a 45 sec recharge. Not rocket science to always bank 1 charge for TEB.
    It's a 1 minute recharge now. In SoO where chi and energy were bountiful, saving CB for anything other than extra TeB was kind of pointless. Now, we're short on energy and chi, thus, CB is as important for the chi that it gives as for the TeB that it gives. Outside of your initial burst window, it's best to save one charge for something important like getting 10 TeB stacks for trinket procs or having 2 chi on-demand for ToD, FoF, or RSK when you're low on energy and are short on chi. If you use every charge as soon as it's up for a couple extra BoKs, you can end up popping TeB outside of FoF or trinket procs to prevent yourself from capping TeB, or you could find yourself holding off FoF or RSK from lack of available chi (which could also be prevented by a bit of foresight, but who needs that when we have CB). There's a bit of nuance for when to use a charge, when to save a charge, and not capping on charges.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-12-05 at 02:47 PM.

if anything use serenity and asc its not horrible and the rotation feels very smooth between that and energy brew up pretty close to each toher

7+ Year Old Account
    Picking serenity + CB feels much closer to the monk I played in SoO, so I can understand people prefer it. Switching between Asc/CX and CB/Serenity does take a change of mindset. My solution was to try both in Heroic dungeons a lot, now I can switch between the two setups without screwing up the first minute

So yeah, if you're still learning, better stick to Ascension and Serenity, switching out Xuen for RJW if you'll be AoEing a lot. Just remember that your SEF clones are the key to good AoE/cleaving, so practice that!