Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why people hate affliction so much?

So I'm seeing a lot of locks staying affli or going demo but rarelly some playing affliction like myself.
    I've been playing destro most of MoP while going demo in last few weeks when it got buffed.

Right now I'm playing affliction and I outdps a destro lock in our guild that has slighly better gear then me. And I outdps him by far around 3-4k most of the time while bursting up to 39k single target for like 1min.
    Compared to my destro single target I'd say affli is far better atm and will be even better with more mastery/haste/multi when I obtain better gear
    -> Char link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...roboo/advanced

So my question is, why ppl think destro is better when I hardly see another lock that does more single-target dps while being destro.
    The data I collected is from first 6 bosses in highmoul normal and I only switched to destro for tectus for more aoe.
    Single target:
    -sustained -> 20-22k
    -burst -> 30-30k

Multi target:
    -sustained -> 14-16k
    -burst -> 20-25k
    (yeah it's probably that I didn't really learn how to aoe as affli yet except multidotting but stuff mostly dies 2fast so not much use of it)

I think the logs are like that at the moment because everyone is still playing destro or they have joined the demo hype train and it does not really reflect the true picture. I think you are right affli is going to work out to be the best spec in the long run as we get more gear and we will have more logs to support this when people realise they are beating a dead horse with demo and people start switching to affli.

I will never hate it and will play it when ever it is viable but I hate what they have done to it, for me affli should have at least one or two more dots and loose the silly haunt mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    It lacks basic tools, like AoE and Direct Damage, which means there'll often be a reason to spec something else, and when the alternatives actually have their bases reasonably well covered, it's hard to make the excuse to go back; especially when gearing is somewhat different.

Deleted
    to me a lock thats aff have always been an aff lock but that's personal got a destro off spec but hardly ever play that and the only thing i hate about aff is the aoe mechanic in a lot of cases the mobs don't even live long enough to even bother.

I love Affliction, if I didn't love that playstyle a Warlock wouldn't be my first and only class since I started in 2007.

Currently Affliction is purely amazing, it requires shard management, actual thinking on when to pop big cds and timing it with the level 100 talent. Unlike MoP(tennis play and zero burst) and Cataclysm(Felhunter Shadowbite was the burst), currently it reminds me of WoTLK. It takes you effort to build up full dots especially when zerged(90%) of the time but when you do it's highly rewarding rather than being completely damageless like it was in MoP and Cataclysm.

I'm loving every single minute of my class at the moment and highly hope Blizzard doesn't find a way(as they usually do) to kill the spec off(inevitable, sadly). I haven't had this much fun playing Affliction since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by favor98 View Post
    So I'm seeing a lot of locks staying affli or going demo but rarelly some playing affliction like myself.
    I've been playing destro most of MoP while going demo in last few weeks when it got buffed.

Right now I'm playing affliction and I outdps a destro lock in our guild that has slighly better gear then me. And I outdps him by far around 3-4k most of the time while bursting up to 39k single target for like 1min.
    Compared to my destro single target I'd say affli is far better atm and will be even better with more mastery/haste/multi when I obtain better gear
    -> Char link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...roboo/advanced

So my question is, why ppl think destro is better when I hardly see another lock that does more single-target dps while being destro.
    The data I collected is from first 6 bosses in highmoul normal and I only switched to destro for tectus for more aoe.
    Single target:
    -sustained -> 20-22k
    -burst -> 30-30k

Multi target:
    -sustained -> 14-16k
    -burst -> 20-25k
    (yeah it's probably that I didn't really learn how to aoe as affli yet except multidotting but stuff mostly dies 2fast so not much use of it)

Because the spec is the most boring spec in the game for casters? It doesn't matter how much DPS it does if it's boring for MOST players. I didn't like MoP design and they managed to make it WORSE. Just terrible, needs a gigantic overhaul in the talent trees and how we look at THE warlock spec of warlock specs. It's sad they have abandonded the DOT class to appease certain people. WOTLK affliction was the best.

Affliction got gutted for me when they moved it's damage from dots to it's filler, it no longer feels like a master of the wicked for me.

the only things im not liking about this , is that shadowfiends hit harder than my dots in almost full pvp gear and the lack of a snare for pvp

Affliction died for me when Shadowbolt was removed. It was sad times.

There's nothing particularly wrong with it, it just doesn't really do anything that destruction or demonology couldn't do.

Where destruction and demonology do plenty that aff can't do.

Piss poor AoE. Absolutely zero burst and an an obscene ramp up time. Damage offloaded from DoTs to a shitty filler. The worst resource system of the three specs; high ability costs with painfully slow generation resulting in resource starvation. Zero skillcap, boring rotation. Destruction does cleave better. Demonology does mobility better.

You might be able to out DPS your friend, but that's simply because he's bad. If you take a time to look at the overall output of the specs on various logging sites, Affliction trails on almost every encounter.

Why even consider Affliction?

Deleted
    It feels incredibly unreliable compared to Destro and Demo.
    Both Destro and Demo have a very solid core mechanic that is about building up your resource and then spending it.
    Affli's resource on the other hand is incredibly unreliable due to really lousy Nightfall procs. You eventually find yourself starved for shards, without haunt on your main target, just spamming Drain Soul mindlessly hoping for an add to pop, or for Nightfall to proc. This kind of playstyle is incredibly unappealing to me.
    Affli's aoe is also incredibly lackluster compared to the other specs

I think the only way i see myself going back to affl is when they nerf Drain Soul, but buff DoTs, and completely re-work the Soul Shard mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    Affliction died for me when Shadowbolt was removed. It was sad times.
    This sums it up. Channeling mind flay which does the majority of your damage is not fun for me. If I wanted to play a shadow priest then I would play one.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaTommy View Post
    I think the only way i see myself going back to affl is when they nerf Drain Soul, but buff DoTs, and completely re-work the Soul Shard mechanic.
    this^

10+ Year Old Account
    I love aff and I'm always in the top for my guild.
    Destro can do a better job at the moment just because its easier and more dynamic game play. Aff is fun (albeit boring) and can we awful IF you're bad at managing your soul shards, which sadly is a struggle for any Lock right now, they really need to up nightfall procs, and give add a better utility for AOEing low HP mobs.

but last night on twins the only person that got me was a Unholy DK, man theyre good right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    He was just surprised that demons can also summon you.
    That's a soviet russia of dark magic right here.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ldemort/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    This sums it up. Channeling mind flay which does the majority of your damage is not fun for me. If I wanted to play a shadow priest then I would play one.
    Even though Aff has always been more focused on damage over time than direct damage, a warlock spec without some sort of DD filler doesn't fit for me. They took something that was unique that people really enjoyed (swapping up to Drain soul for a different feel during execute)... and just forced it in as the main thing to do. Now its nothing special and took away the general feel of the spec, the evolution of Affliction has not been great from my taste perspective. I can respect however, that some absolutely love how it plays.
    Last edited by Soulzar; 2014-12-05 at 04:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pvw1075 View Post
    Aff is fun (albeit boring) and can we awful IF you're bad at managing your soul shards, which sadly is a struggle for any Lock right now, they really need to up nightfall procs, and give add a better utility for AOEing low HP mobs.
    I don't get it. What's fun about playing a boring spec?

Destruction isn't anymore exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    I don't get it. What's fun about playing a boring spec?
    Don't be crass.