[Holy] Healing logs.

Could anyone give me some advice on how to improve on healing? I've never been a healer during raiding and I joined a new guild a while ago and decided to change spec since I got bored of dpsing. That was around a week ago and I feel like I've gotten a lot better with my mana management but I still went OOM during butcher. Could anyone take a quick look at this log and give me a hand on how to improve? I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fGwcYjN16J8nLVkH

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

all im gonna say is 5 melee dps and 1 ranged.
    i hope that is not normally your raid comp considering it is butcher.

I'm not asking for help on our raid comp but thank you, I know it's not ideal but we're struggling to recruit as is and we have to take what we can get.
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

When we did butcher on HC we had 30 man and I didn't feel like I had mana problems at all. Looking at your log, the main difference between mine and your healing is the usage of FoL. I reserved FoL usage to sub 30% on boss, otherwise it's not really needed. I healed in early cataclysm aswell, when the damage/healing ratio was about the same (weak heals and "slower" damage), don't feel panicked when people drop low, try to increase your HL usage and see where it takes you is my tip. If people die, it's not really your fault, but the other healers not doing their part.

For reference: http://i.imgur.com/jVVfKcs.png

Note this is from 30M HC and I had ~42,5k HPS. I also have the DMC trinket (stage 1) and Everburning Candle, which greatly helps me with mana.

Glyphs: Merciful Wrath, Sacrifice and Beacon (not really needed here, I don't beacon swap from tanks)

Talents:

Speed of light: Must have on this fight to rush to range stack after knockback
    FoJ: this one don't matter
    EF
    Clemency: This one depends on your tanks, if they need CDs pick this
    Sanctified Wrath: must have talent IMO in combination with merciful wrath glyph. The reasoning is that without the glyph, AW becomes too good and it gives you more overhealing. With the glyph you still do loads of healing and you get to use it more often when healing is intense.
    Prism and BoF.

Quote Originally Posted by scmeck View Post
    When we did butcher on HC we had 30 man and I didn't feel like I had mana problems at all. Looking at your log, the main difference between mine and your healing is the usage of FoL. I reserved FoL usage to sub 30% on boss, otherwise it's not really needed. I healed in early cataclysm aswell, when the damage/healing ratio was about the same (weak heals and "slower" damage), don't feel panicked when people drop low, try to increase your HL usage and see where it takes you is my tip. If people die, it's not really your fault, but the other healers not doing their part.

For reference: http://i.imgur.com/jVVfKcs.png

Note this is from 30M HC and I had ~42,5k HPS. I also have the DMC trinket (stage 1) and Everburning Candle, which greatly helps me with mana.

Glyphs: Merciful Wrath, Sacrifice and Beacon (not really needed here, I don't beacon swap from tanks)

Talents:

Speed of light: Must have on this fight to rush to range stack after knockback
    FoJ: this one don't matter
    EF
    Clemency: This one depends on your tanks, if they need CDs pick this
    Sanctified Wrath: must have talent IMO in combination with merciful wrath glyph. The reasoning is that without the glyph, AW becomes too good and it gives you more overhealing. With the glyph you still do loads of healing and you get to use it more often when healing is intense.
    Prism and BoF.
    Thank you, I was using FoL a lot because targets weren't getting healed up fast enough during cleaves, I'll try to use holy light more. And good point about the merciful wrath glyph, I always felt when I had it on nobody would die, I guess the trade off is 100% worth it. Thanks a lot

pre-pot on the pull. Draenic Int potion.

Where you got 32k mana back on the potion, see if you can incorporate a Brillant Dreampetal or a channeling mana potion when a tank is using a cooldown, or when someone is using a raid cooldown to help mitigate/absorb damage. They will give you back 50k mana. Just keep in mind, to get the full effect of the two mentioned about, you cannot be moving or casting for the duration of the potion.
    Excellence, completed by Shyama!

7+ Year Old Account
    You seem to be doing well, I've been looking for something more in-depth to help me also. I'm usually much lower on healing charts for some reason and don't know why. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Cruxial View Post
    You seem to be doing well, I've been looking for something more in-depth to help me also. I'm usually much lower on healing charts for some reason and don't know why. :/
    While I'm still new to this, perhaps your other healers are performing well? How squishy does your raid and tanks feel. I was spamming flash of light during butcher cleaves and had to through out the occasional holy radiance because I was worried they were going to die. Healing isn't the higher HPS the second the better.

Took a look at your logs quickly, your beacon of light healing is A LOT lower than mine, unsure as to why. Are you primarly healing your beacon target? If so, try to heal them only when needed. You also didn't cast very many holy shocks, try to keep that up more.

Also perhaps link your armory, what stats are you priortizing? I've seen a lot of different information floating around. Some people saying haste, some saying crit. I decided to go with crit since I'm still struggling to manage my mana and I'd rather have more big heals than faster smaller heals. Also the way crit synergies with holy shock is amazing imo.
    Last edited by -Skye; 2014-12-06 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    I'm not asking for help on our raid comp but thank you, I know it's not ideal but we're struggling to recruit as is and we have to take what we can get.
    didn't realize you would take it so personally, of course it was never meant to offend you. simply sympathizing with your plight considering there is actually nothing wrong with your healing.

and no you cannot look at scmecks log for much information as your raid sizes completely differ; in a small raid size like yours it is often necessary to flash heal and i personally don't think there is anything wrong with that. the hps difference comes from scale, larger raids are simply easier to heal due to aoe heals (although not as much for paladin) and less pressure for each individual healer to keep raid alive, hence you can be more efficient with your heals: i.e. using holy light more often, gaming BoL by shocking/ef non-beacon targets, holy lighting beacon targets and let your other healers top of healthbars (paladins have no residual heal).

One thing i will say is 4 healing was probably not necessary simply because the last healer that you added simply accounts for the previous healer and himself and perhaps a dps, which would have been not needed had you killed the boss faster: each healer would have had higher hps because the encounter would be shorter and dps relative to boss hp would be higher.
    Or in essence the last healer was only there because the fight was too long, and the fight was too long because the healer was there - boss hp scale with additional players +opportunity cost of healer not being a dps.

In terms on raid tactic (not healing) it seems you, feral druid, 1 ret pally and and ww were in a group and the others in another. your hunter is doing his own thing but i assume he is in your group too. literally everyone of your group got to 5 stacks at the end but that's not really an issue cause enrage was coming up, BUT also the previous group was also dangerously high (druid at 5). as far as i can tell you can swap at 3 due to the jumping thing that he does which gives enough time for everyones debuff to fall off. i think this is what made healing to tough as well as those stacks to tons of damage.

other players:
    half of your dps are doing enough dps to be doing hc, which is good. your druid is using healing touch much too often, but this is overcompensating for the fact that, sorry to say, your shaman and disc aren't pulling their weight. the disc esp should prioritize tank healing with you and your shaman used unleash life once during the entire 5 minutes not to mention his uptime on earth shield is abysmal and overheal is way to high on spell that shouldn't have any.

as for tanks:
    your dk seems to be doing things like clockwork, including using remorseless winter on cd (does this even do anything in this fight?). Also not sure if hand of purity works, but they weren't receiving hand of sacrifice often enough considering you have 3 paladins of which 2 can use it extremely liberally (like literally just macro that to cs if your never going to use it). on another note your dk used icebound once and your druid didn't use si at all.

my assessment: your healing is perfectly fine, quite above average even; you however suffer a symptom of a pug raid. with some dps performing well, but too many laggers who will need a talking to. not sure of your relationship with your group, but you may need to have a long guild meeting if you want to finish highmaul before blackrock.

I wasn't taking it personally sorry, thanks for the advice. It's a guild I joined during the end of MoP to get back into raiding with WoD. I'm co raidleading, appreciate all the advice and I'll try to relay it as best as I can. Thanks