10+ Year Old Account

Need a some help for diet/exercise tips

So my girlfriend and I are looking to lose some weight, her more focus on weight loss, Im more focused on losing my stomach and maybe bulking up. I know our main issues are just fast food/crap food so we are cutting that out. She eats a lot healthier than i do, only bad things are maybe choco milk and her frozen dinners. Me, im stuck with my hot pockets, hot wings, typical WoW diet.

She is 5 2 and 140ish lbs, I am 6 ft and 220 lbs. What would be a good place to start as far as simple calorie cut back and healthier foods, as well as starting exercises? I know we arent obese by any means but we do want to lose weight, mostly her and i figured i should start this to support her decision.

Any help would be appreciated, scrolling through other posts as well to see if we can find something we like.
    #JusticeForRucati
    PSN: Iskalla74, inv for Destiny if you need help

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runeshear View Post
    So my girlfriend and I are looking to lose some weight, her more focus on weight loss, Im more focused on losing my stomach and maybe bulking up. I know our main issues are just fast food/crap food so we are cutting that out. She eats a lot healthier than i do, only bad things are maybe choco milk and her frozen dinners. Me, im stuck with my hot pockets, hot wings, typical WoW diet.

She is 5 2 and 140ish lbs, I am 6 ft and 220 lbs. What would be a good place to start as far as simple calorie cut back and healthier foods, as well as starting exercises? I know we arent obese by any means but we do want to lose weight, mostly her and i figured i should start this to support her decision.

Any help would be appreciated, scrolling through other posts as well to see if we can find something we like.
    Hey, I work at Gold's Gym and I'm 6'1 235lbs 13% bodyfat atm, adding a few pounds before cutting back to 8%. It's rough trying to do a perfect diet on a reasonable price, so some good frozen food options honestly will still be okay unless you're trying to be in a body building competition. Stuff that you can buy in bulk for decent prices will be your best options. Ground beef, rice, milk, chicken, vegetables, stuff like that.

Being serious about effectively getting in shape will generally be 50% nutrition, 40% strength / resistance training and 10% cardio.

I generally wouldn't recommend a cookie cutter workout routine, but if you want an idea of a decent starting place, shoot me an email and I will put something together for you. davidlong.8@live.com

Try cutting sugars by half, and drink more water. When I say sugars, I mean all types, substitutes and all. As for exercise, do some simple walk-running... Set a goal of how far you want to go, and in a reasonable time. Walk for 20 seconds, all out sprint for 10 seconds, rinse and repeat for set distance. Do this for a month, then look into a differing change of diet beyond sugar reduction and gym trainings then, you might be surprised by how much sugar is affecting your weight.

Your focus should be food. You can only burn so many calories but you can cut down a lot by eating the right thing and not eating the wrong things. Start looking at calories, even "healthy" foods sometimes have a lot of calories. An avocado smoothie might be super healthy (without sugar) but can easily add up to 500 kcal. Same goes for juices. You can easily drink 1000 kcal in juice a day.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a fan of fitnessblender.com for working out at home; they were exactly what I was looking for when I was looking for workout plans. Husband and wife team of personal trainers, they're fun to work out with. They talk about nutrition a little bit too, but mostly "drink a lot of water, avoid processed food, don't neglect any of the macronutrients."

They've got hundreds of workout videos, I started with their 5 day challenges, though I didn't do them in consecutive days at first.

FWIW, I lost 20 pounds in a couple months and I've gone from "as lazy as I could manage" to "this weekend's long run was 12 miles".

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    I'm a fan of fitnessblender.com for working out at home; they were exactly what I was looking for when I was looking for workout plans. Husband and wife team of personal trainers, they're fun to work out with. They talk about nutrition a little bit too, but mostly "drink a lot of water, avoid processed food, don't neglect any of the macronutrients."

They've got hundreds of workout videos, I started with their 5 day challenges, though I didn't do them in consecutive days at first.

FWIW, I lost 20 pounds in a couple months and I've gone from "as lazy as I could manage" to "this weekend's long run was 12 miles".
    I actually use some of their videos if I wanna do some HIIT or cardio after working out or slow cardio on rest days and their exercises are pretty good and easy to follow. DO NOT expect to build any muscle though. If your focus is just losing weight do their HIIT videos 3 - 5 times a week. I would still work out though, it's more fun to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe your definitions are different, but they do frequently emphasize the value of strength training for overall fitness. I don't think you could do their workouts regularly and not build any muscle (cf dat ass). But yeah they're about getting lean not big.

Also, OP: The BMI is not a nuanced measurement, of course, but 6' 220 is 29.8 BMI.
    30 is "obese". I'm six foot myself and could see 220 sneaking up on me, when I decided to get back to being healthier.
    It's totally worth it. I've got a ways to go yet before "best shape of my life" and a little ways after that to "yep!",
    but I'm really glad I decided to go in that direction. I feel a lot better already, and I'm in no hurry to get diabetes or heart disease.

Hey, I know what you mean with the typical "WoW diet", it just seems to catch up to you. You're just minding your own business, going about your life and BAM 6 months go by and the classic 'what the hell happened?' in the mirror - no fun. Whatever you end up choosing to follow, just make sure you incorporate Nutrition as mentioned by Kosmonaut - it makes up a significant portion of what's going to get you in shape and most people seem to overlook it.

There's plenty of free tips, tricks and options out there, but if you're looking for something more personalized, and tailored to you and your girlfriends needs I've been developing a 30 day program Root10. It focuses on one principle, Eating Smarter & Moving More - That's it. It puts the knowledge of a nutritionist and the experience of a personal trainer in the palm of your hands. I think you and your GF would have a lot of fun with it.

If it doesn't interest you, i'd still love to help - shoot me a message with any questions, don't want you getting caught up with some "weekly superfood diet"

P.S. Created a mmo-champ account after 7 years of creeping patch updates on here just to answer you -- (hope you feel special haha)
    P.P.S. IndieGoGo page is called Root10 (it won't let me post link since first post)

10+ Year Old Account
    Appreciate all the info guys. This will definitely help put us on the right track as we start this. Went on our first visit to a gym, about an hour and a half workout, ran most of the time just to see what we can comfortably start with and we felt good about this. Woke up today feeling sore but not dead lol.
    #JusticeForRucati
    PSN: Iskalla74, inv for Destiny if you need help

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    Your focus should be food. You can only burn so many calories but you can cut down a lot by eating the right thing and not eating the wrong things. Start looking at calories, even "healthy" foods sometimes have a lot of calories. An avocado smoothie might be super healthy (without sugar) but can easily add up to 500 kcal. Same goes for juices. You can easily drink 1000 kcal in juice a day.
    Absolutely. Someone else was close in his post, too. Your will to do this will be the ultimate factor. However, weight loss or gain is VASTLY based on nutrition. You can do incredible things to the body by manipulating your metabolism. To either gain, or lose weight.