Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    That is actually a very healthy sandwich. Fat is GOOD for you, carbs are bad.

- - - Updated - - -

That study shows that people eating whole grains have better outcomes than a group of people who didn't. It DOESN'T say that whole grains are good for you, just that they aren't as bad as what those others were eating. Actually it doesn't even say that, because it didn't control for all the other ways their diets and lifestyle may differ. It may be that those who decided to eat whole grains were predisposed to do other things that would improve their health.

The study did NOT run whole grain diets vs. low carb diets, as far as I can tell.
    That's because any properly controlled double blind clinical trial putting high fat vs high carb shows high fat wins.
    The only real exception is pregnant women who should eat more grain for the follic acid.

If everybody suddenly started eating optimally based on the best available science it would turn most of the world's agriculture on it's head.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Burger King. No seriously.
    - [Insert random place here]
    5. Subway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    That's specifically what I'm referring to o.O
    Lol I read that as you trying to say "Super size me" was like gospel truth :P
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    How about potatoes? Bread, rice, potatoes they are all cheap energy that people eat with their meals.
    i dont eat any of those (not paleo!) but then i would not eat "fast food" unless i was literally starving,

There are plenty of healthy cheap, easy and tasty options that I woudl never eat the shit that passes for food in these places.
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2014-12-08 at 12:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Carls JR is just a fancy name for "Hardees" (Or vice versa)
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Not even close.

Bread is hard wheat kernels that have been ground into a fine powder combined with powdered stabilizing agents, mixed with fat (these days usually vegetable oil) and then reconstituted with water with salt, sugar, and yeast added to turn it into a stretchy bubbly mass.
    My bread is

Flour
    Water
    Yeast
    1 teaspoon of sugar (to activate the yeast)
    1 teaspoon of salt

I can use sodium bicarb as a raising agent instead of yeast (so you lose the sugar from the recipe) if I'm making it for a vegan that feels sorry for the poor little mould spores.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    My bread is

Flour
    Water
    Yeast
    1 teaspoon of salt

I can use sodium bicarb as a raising agent instead of yeast (so you lose the sugar from the recipe) if I'm making it for a vegan that feels sorry for the poor little mould spores.
    a bit of oil or any fat improves breads a ton, makes it much more tender. And I'm not talking a lot of fat, I use about 1/4 cup for around 100 decent sized buns.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheThirteenthWorstGamer View Post
    1 being the worst 5 being the 'best' personally I'd say 1. McD 2. Taco Bell 3. KFC 4. Pizza express 5. Subway, That's just what I personally think from what I've ate and what I've heard about the places above, so if my anybody could give facts it would be good to see
    That's fun, over these would have put KFC and Subway on the worst side (KFC at 1... or less), and McD much higher.

And pizzas are definitely on the worst side too.
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    This does not take into consideration the chicken itself, which is full of antibiotics, steroids, and growth hormones.
    I can tell that you're arguing based on emotional sentiment due to the fact that those things are illegal for use in poultry.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Just be aware that there is no such thing as a healthy Pizza.
    Tell that to pizza huts new menu or w/e the fuck they are doing now.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

Oh no, a long ingredients list, it must be bad! I mean, exacts of turmeric? That shit's got to be deadly!
    It's a fairly decent metric for quality on a lot of things. If something should only have 6 ingredients and it has 20, it's probably going to be pretty shitty because the reason it has so many ingredients are due to cheapness, fillers, preservatives and stuff. It's like when places use margarine instead of butter because it's cheaper, except they're using several ingredients in places of one because they need one to be the main thing, then a couple others to alter texture or color or whatever.

As to whether it means more or less healthy, I can't really say, but it's decent for indicating shitty taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    My bread is

Flour
    Water
    Yeast
    1 teaspoon of salt

And if you are buying the typical flour it will almost always contain anti clumping agents. Unless you are buying organic or milling the flour yourself.

And vegans are allowed to eat fungus because they are hypocrite.

And I'm not saying all grains are bad all the time. But in terms of nutrition and satiety provided they do a piss poor job compared to other caloric sources.

The amount and quality of grains that most people eat are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    The amount and quality of grains that most people eat are bad.
    We can make this statement about any food. Or about anything. Except making money, maybe.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    All food is bad for you in some way just quit worrying about it and eat whatever the hell you want.

Quote Originally Posted by delciotto View Post
    a bit of oil or any fat improves breads a ton, makes it much more tender. And I'm not talking a lot of fat, I use about 1/4 cup for around 100 decent sized buns.
    I'm not the bread expert in my house, but I know my gf uses different oils, sometimes egg yolk. She also prefers honey over sugar for activating the yeast.

She's always experimenting. I think she has two kinds of biga in the fridge right now. Oh, then there are her three sourdough starters that have been alive for years. She'd possibly forgive me if I killed her dog. I'd be on the street with all my possessions on the lawn if I killed one of those starters.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by delciotto View Post
    I put a dash of high quality olive oil in it if it's going to be ciabatta. And olives, preferably Greek (because the Spanish ones taste of bugger all).

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Tell that to pizza huts new menu or w/e the fuck they are doing now.
    Are you trying to say pizza hut is healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    Subway has more calories than most if not all Mc'donalds meals, Burger king is where the calories are.
    An average Mc'donalds meal for me is about 800 calories I think, I consumed double that in a single Burger King meal.
    Then you're doing it wrong. A Whopper Jr with no Mayo is 300 calories. A Whopper with no Mayo is 510 calories. Whoppers are big sandwiches.

Everything at McDonalds besides their classic grilled chicken sandwiches and salads are higher than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't really rate a restaurant based on healthfulness since it varies pretty widely depending on what you order. While almost all of them have menu items that are super bad for you, many places also have healthier options that range from "mildly less bad for you" to "decent." For example, my absolute favourite thing from Jack in the Box is one of their salads which isn't too bad for you, but I'd never rank the entire restaurant on that salad.

No one eats fast food for health reasons, though. People eat it either because they like it and/or it's convenient.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    You can't really rate a restaurant based on healthfulness since it varies pretty widely depending on what you order. While almost all of them have menu items that are super bad for you, many places also have healthier options that range from "mildly less bad for you" to "decent." For example, my absolute favourite thing from Jack in the Box is one of their salads which isn't too bad for you, but I'd never rank the entire restaurant on that salad.

No one eats fast food for health reasons, though. People eat it either because they like it and/or it's convenient.
    Ugghh aside from vegetables. Personally I wouldn't buy a salad from Mc Donalds (or any other FF resturant) in the first place. People eat it because they don't really know what's in it then there are those people who don't care or are to ignorant to understand.