Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Constellation's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

What does your guild focus on gearing the first when content is new?

Just something that came across my mind but never actually thought about at all these last 10 years, does your guild focus on gearing up DPS, the tanks or the healers at the very start of a new content, what does your guild think is the most important role to gear up to beat encounters?

Just a thought I need to get answered.

We make sure everyone is capable of doing Mythic upon release

I wouldn't say we focus on gearing anyone, but usually if there's like a token or something, a healer might pass it to a DPS instead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I wouldn't say we focus on gearing anyone, but usually if there's like a token or something, a healer might pass it to a DPS instead.
    Which is quite the opposite of what happened to us, a BIS item for 2 caster DPS dropped, the both casters had 630 items, and 1 of our Officer, who was a healer had a 645 item, snatched it instead.

Tanks (to the point that they can survive comfortable) > DPS > Healers

no need to gear healers when most healing checks are fixed by just playing better as a raid.

DPS>Tanks>Healers.

DPS makes the encounter shorter, and meets enrages. The more dps, the quicker adds that deals damage to the raid dies (imperator is a great example).
    Tanks take and deal damage, the better gear they have, the less healers have to heal, and the quicker/smoother an encounter is.

Healers benefit greatly from both tanks and DPS getting gear, while tanks and DPS benefit only in one way - by the healers being able to outheal more stupid fuckups. If there's a rough healing requirement, plan your CDs around it, and have dps/tanks play better. Healers never really "need" more gear to be able to get through a boss. Especially now that no matter how much gear your healer has, standing in bad WILL kill you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    DPS>Tanks>Healers.

DPS makes the encounter shorter, and meets enrages. The more dps, the quicker adds that deals damage to the raid dies (imperator is a great example).
    Tanks take and deal damage, the better gear they have, the less healers have to heal, and the quicker/smoother an encounter is.

Healers benefit greatly from both tanks and DPS getting gear, while tanks and DPS benefit only in one way - by the healers being able to outheal more stupid fuckups. If there's a rough healing requirement, plan your CDs around it, and have dps/tanks play better. Healers never really "need" more gear to be able to get through a boss. Especially now that no matter how much gear your healer has, standing in bad WILL kill you.
    This is exactly the reason I made this thread. As I replied to another guy about the officer healer having 645 and getting a 655 updrage instead of the 2 dps that had 630's getting it, because my guild are stuck on The Butcher HC now because they thought it was more necessary to gear healers and tanks up, and tank loot is alright, if it drops they should get it, but the thing that made me create this thread is because our healers in the guild, one whos an officer thought it was more necessary to gear them up, since a lot of the DPS loot that drops also is a good item for disc/holy priests, resulting us DPS being horrendous on The Butcher and hitting the enrage around 10-20%.

DPS>Tanks>Healers.

My guild is doing this too.

I've also been in guilds that go Tanks>Dps>Heals

But in short you want your dps to be the first to get all the gear to make fights shorter as Dracodraco said. When the tanks and dps have their gear healers have an easier time even though they have yet to get gear.
    "Do fish have dreams?" - Nick Cage
    The Cage!! In his most primal form!!

We try and gear up all parties evenly. Right now we are using primarily a roll based distribution system for loot dsitribution simply because everyone needs gear right now...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    DPS almost always first. When doing new content the goal is to always bring as few healers as possible, and while it might make sense to make sure those healers are really well geared, it's usually not the first goal. If you absolutely need more healing, you just add another healer.

Tank damage taken is kinda gnarly at the moment, but I still would prioritize DPS first.

Rings, trinkets, cape and neck all have stats for each individual role anyway, so a lot of the loot prioritization goes out the window with those slots. Most people aren't (and shouldn't) give weapons to healers over caster DPS at the start lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Which is quite the opposite of what happened to us, a BIS item for 2 caster DPS dropped, the both casters had 630 items, and 1 of our Officer, who was a healer had a 645 item, snatched it instead.
    Your guild is shit. No offense, but your guild is shit.

We try to gear everyone evenly, but we prioritize DPS over healers unless we hit a wall because of healing.

This is exactly the reason I made this thread. As I replied to another guy about the officer healer having 645 and getting a 655 updrage instead of the 2 dps that had 630's getting it, because my guild are stuck on The Butcher HC now because they thought it was more necessary to gear healers and tanks up, and tank loot is alright, if it drops they should get it, but the thing that made me create this thread is because our healers in the guild, one whos an officer thought it was more necessary to gear them up, since a lot of the DPS loot that drops also is a good item for disc/holy priests, resulting us DPS being horrendous on The Butcher and hitting the enrage around 10-20%.

To be fair, the only items that aren't the same now for healers/DPS is jewelry and trinkets. Don't let healers steal necks, cloaks, ring and trinkets without spirit - they have their own. Rest of it is shared.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gihelle View Post
    Your guild is shit. No offense, but your guild is shit.

We try to gear everyone evenly, but we prioritize DPS over healers unless we hit a wall because of healing.
    The funny thing is, after that happened I told the officer the loot should be equally distributed to those who really needs it. He then replied that the caster DPS who really needed it didnt earn it because they didn't do their best to get gear for the raid, and I personally never knew about the CM daily giving you a 645 item, which I think rarely any of the guild members did, except for the officers. Never did they even mention it. It's like the officers of my guild only kept things to themselves and never shared vital information on gearing.

So yeah, technically my guild is bad as ****.

Or maybe I am more than bad since I didn't read up on CM dailies giving 645 items.
    Last edited by Constellation; 2014-12-08 at 12:45 AM.

The funny thing is, after that happened I told the officer the loot should be equally distributed to those who really needs it. He then replied that the caster DPS who really needed it didnt earn it because they didn't do their best to get gear for the raid, and I personally never knew about the CM daily giving you a 645 item, which I think rarely any of the guild members did, except for the officers. Never did they even mention it. It's like the officers of my guild only kept things to themselves and never shared vital information on gearing.

Or maybe I am more than bad since I didn't read up on CM dailies giving 645 items.
    That one's on you. CM items give guaranteed 640 epics. If you want to gear up, you should have known about that, gotten BoE's, etc... It's no ones job to inform you.

Priority has mostly gone to DPS, but there are some exceptions if the items is really good for a tank/healer and then we assign based on who will get the best upgrade out of it. but of course effort/time with the guild is factor too.
    Xilë - Affixed - Frostmourne

That one's on you. CM items give guaranteed 640 epics. If you want to gear up, you should have known about that, gotten BoE's, etc... It's no ones job to inform you.
    You're right it is noones job to inform him. But still, letting your fellow guildies know how to obtain good gear is a nice thing to do. Especially if you want to increase your odds of downing bosses in the upcoming raid.

Guaranteed 6 bracers in a row with versatility on them.

Yes, this happened to me.

DPS > Tanks > Healers.

Healer checks can usually be countered with better play, minimal gear usually meets the minimum healing requirements.

DPS checks can't really be made with better play if your DPS are undergeared.

Fuck that for a laugh!
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-12-09 at 08:13 AM.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    DPS > Tanks > Heals

The officers in my guild have also had a look at everyone's secondary stat priorities and we're distributing to whoever it will be the biggest boost for (e.g. crit leather going to the Feral Druid over the Combat Rogue). Even though there's really only 1-2 drops per slot for everyone at the moment, any bit of extra DPS we can pull moving into Mythic will be a boon.

If you are really happy and have a lot of good friends in that guild, then more power to you.

Otherwise, I would strongly encourage you find a guild whose officers aren't selfish douchebags. It will save you a lot of frustration and headaches in the long run.