Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    To me, A lot of the FInal Fantasies all do something Drastically different from the others, and for some those drastic differences don't sate their pallate.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the 13 games as well as most of the rest of the series. While the convoluted Narrative is obnoxious, the game itself was enjoyable enough for me to over look it.

Frankly I think if you think Final Fantasies stories were anything to write home about you're nuts but that's me looking back into the ages past.
    thats interesting. Thanks.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    The reason I started this is because I've been somewhat enjoying 13 lately. Someone told me to die (going to kill me) and that it is ruining the franchise, but then I looked over its sales figures and popularity in Japan and was confused. 14 seems to also be surviving well on a market where WoW controls everything...
    There is a lot of hate on the internet towards the 13th mainline generation of FF for various reasons. Particularly the first entry. If you liked the game just ignore those folks.

I consider the first game to be quite bland but FF13-2 and LR honestly isn't as bad as a lot of people like to claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having FF13 be the only real focus during the PS3 as far as single player JRPG's go seemed like a pretty terrible idea to me. I just can't get into the newer titles as well, but that's probably a little bit of the nostalgia effect speaking. My go to's tend to be 7 - 10.

the newer games pale in comparison to the height of the series

I don't know if that means that it's dying though

Squaresoft jumped the shark after the Super Nintendo era ended. Fact.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since X the games have been getting worse and worse.

Them porting FF VII to the PS4 is just laughable, people want a remake/hd version VII, not just a port.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

well I definitely understand something from this topic...

15+ Year Old Account
    Because just like wow, it jumped the shark ages ago. 15 is probably going to be terrible. We'll see.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Because just like wow, it jumped the shark ages ago. 15 is probably going to be terrible. We'll see.
    Has any long game series not gone downhill? I can't think of anything serial that is released often at least released every 1-2 years actually being good.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Has any long game series not gone downhill? I can't think of anything serial that is released often at least released every 1-2 years actually being good.
    Resident Evil is still good

10+ Year Old Account
    People cry over FF13 being arguably not all that great.
    And FF14 is also meh.
    And who knows when FF15 will finally reach us.

That's all. I wouldn't take any notice of it though. They'll keep on making it because it's a good RPG that will also sell well in eastern countries.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

TLR the fabula nova crystalis project that oversaw most of the last decades FF products was overseen by a man with a strange obsession with his own creation, lightning. The only protagonist in the series to outbland cloud and squall. He seemed to treat her like his own personal tulpa waifu and claimed "the world loves lightning as much as i do, her image denotes love and beauty like a rose. She is the goddess of the series" as each game lost sales and the shareholders screamed 'WHAT THE FUCK IS HE DOING' he acted blissfully ignorant as he effectively usurped the idea of 'a stand alone game with its own world' in favour of continuing his fan fic of his fantasy girlfriends adventures to the point where she kills god, wins everything forever and goes to paris to meet him and marry him.
    By the time lightning returns came out and bravely default on 3DS was more profitable SE publicly stated "i guess making a game like the originals is what we should have done but assumed toriyama knew what would have more mainstream appeal".

Effectively FF14 and Bravely Default showed SE that the money in FF is, shock of shocks, in games where people try to fight an evil empire to save the world using classic job systems and roles like black mage or paladin involving crystals, airships and so on.

Its just a shame it took running a once respected franchise known for jaw dropping, console war deciding games into the ground to learn this lesson.

FF15 is looking like the last holdover from the FNC project, being rejiggered from FF13 versus into a kingdom hearts style action combat game but hopefully when its done and this project is out the way things like FF14 and Bravely Default/Bravely Second prove the money is in returning FF to its roots and not trying to make a linear 'mainstream appeal' game that is something other than what people buying the brand expect.

Well seeing how they made 3 of the worst final fantasies seen to date, back to back.

It's hard to say they're not dying.

Seriously though whoever thought of the lightning character, if I met them in real life I would beat within an inch of their life. For wasting like 8 years worth of final fantasy releases. She is the worst thing to happen to final fantasy since...fucking ever. Fuck him, fuck his ideas, and fuck his job. Fire him for new talent already
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I'm looking forward to FF15, honestly. Going to get a PS4 strictly to play it, and "Until Dawn"...

Always been a FF fan since the days of the NES. Can't say I was much of a fan of FF-13 sequels though.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Resident Evil is still good
    As a diehard fan of the series since its inception reading this hurts Its another case of a japanese dev assuming a game needs more profit and the only way to do that is the make it blander for "wider mainstream appeal". Resident Evil 6 was a complete mess in every respect. From its start as 4 barely coherent gamestyles cobbled together into a buggy, frankenstein creation of an action shooter to capcom actually thinking "the fans of the survival horror games got too old, we need to make it an action shooter to focus on teenagers where the money is" its another case of a developer pushing an attempt to sell more units at the cost of everything the series was and ostracising the original fans in favor of attempting to sell a very late entry in a series to new customers with no prior interest in it.
    FF isn't dying but ,much as i dearly hate to say it, revelations is the only thing thats gonna stop it happening for resident evil at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    it changed to take the quantity over quality route to make more $. Square made* a lot more amazing games than just FF ya know

edit
    *used to
    lol what? Square has taken over a decade of work to get FF15 off the ground but they rush out FF games now?

Because 13 had sequels? Somebody must have not told you FF4 has 2 sequels, FF7 has a prequel and a sequel, FF10 has a sequel not to mention all the spin offs like Mystic Quest, Crystal Chronicles and Tactics that came out in between numbered releases.

PS2 had FFX, FFX-2, FFXI, FFXII, Dirge of Cerberus in the span of 6 years.

PS3 had FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3, FFXIV in the span of 7 years.

You're right bro, they're totally making more FF games now then in years past... BTW you don't want me to list the number of FF games on ps1 and snes as it would only destroy your point even more, let alone all the remakes and spinoffs on DS/PSP that happened during that ps2 era.

Deleted
    I guess they gambled too much on fabula nova crystalis this console generation. Square is bad at staking everything on one thing if that abominable movie is anything to go by. I can hardly hate them for it though. Back then FF was their main flagship tittle, now its FF and Kingdom Hearts.

My guess is because for the last five years or so, pretty much every one of them has been shit, especially the FF XIII sequels and the first incarnation of the FF XIV MMO.

Elder scrolls has been shit for years, this is nothing new. Hell can't even think of a good elder scrolls game.

The big issue with FF is that FFXIII is more reviled than any other incarnation of the FF series. Everyone has their favorite FF - mine is FF7, but I also really enjoyed FF8 and FF12. I didn't like FF9 and FF10 as much as others, but I enjoyed them well enough, and others have FF9 or 10 as their favorites. I don't know anyone who counts FFXIII among their favorite.

Basically the reason everyone is saying FF is dying is because of XIII.

There's a lot of love currently for FFXIV for the people who play it. And I think there's a lot of people who are into FFXV - count me among them. There's a lot of Kingdom Hearts fans who are looking forward to FFXV, as well as KH3.

Anyway the "more universally hated XIII" is the answer to your question OP. But there's enough of us out here that feel, despite the misstep, FF isn't dead, it will be cool again.