Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
    Elder scrolls has been shit for years, this is nothing new. Hell can't even think of a good elder scrolls game.
    Morrowind and daggerfall?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Because after FF12, the last great FF, the series went downhill with a focus on mainstream story telling and crappy, futuristic settings and hot chicks who only wield big ass blades.
    It went downhill after 7 tbh.

Never heard anyone say it's dying, it's definitely not as good as it used to be but there is always hope for the next one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there hasn't been a good singleplayer Final Fantasy in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Because after FF12, the last great FF, the series went downhill with a focus on mainstream story telling and crappy, futuristic settings and hot chicks who only wield big ass blades.
    Yeah! Except 10 was the last great FF, or 9, or 8, or 7, or 6, or 5, or 4, or 3, or 2, or 1, or they all sucked ass. Depends on who you ask.

Personally, I think Lightning Returns is their finest work yet. I know I'm in the vast minority with that, but I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Yeah! Except 10 was the last great FF, or 9, or 8, or 7, or 6, or 5, or 4, or 3, or 2, or 1, or they all sucked ass. Depends on who you ask.
    Damn str8 m8. I also believe that most individual's best FF were always the first one they completed. (US2/JPN4 for me)

I look at it this way: FF7 was the WoTLK of the FF-verse. It peaked there, and now nostalgia fucks with our outlook on titles afterwards. It's easy to nitpick the living shit out of all FF titles after 7.

I'm just glad they're still coming out with them. I see FF games as more of a exercise in imagination not innovation.

I did enjoy FF13 and also don't understand the hate for Lightning. What annoyed me the most about FF13 was the stupid Paradigm Shift shit and only controlling 1 character. I prefer my characters to have a set of abilities they can use and not this shitty back and forth system. Oh and this stupid thing with building the "whatever-it-is-called-gauge-to deal-stupid-amounts-of-damage" is also something I don't like.

Where did you get that FF is selling a lot? outside the mmorpg, lightning return sold less than XIII-2.

Hm. For me the series started dying after VI and was dead with X-2. Everything from there on has been a disgraceful afterlife in undeath.

Opinions, opinions...
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    because since 6 it seems to be going farther and farther away from what made it a good game and more into "HEY PRETTY GRAPHICS" shit
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Because apparently the 13 trilogy was terrible and the series can never possibly come back from it. That was sarcasm by the way. But seriously. people didn't like 13. They think that one trilogy killed the series. Honestly i don't think they were THAT bad. They had glaring problems yeah but the people who usually slam 13 LOVE 10 and for the most part they are the same game mechanically. That is where the dreaded hallways started.

Personally I think the series only has up to go. They just need to get back closer to their roots and they seem to know that now. 15 will be interesting to see what they do with it but I wouldn't expect a "traditional" Final Fantasy from it since it did technically start development almost 10 years ago. 16 will be the one to watch IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Morrowind and daggerfall?
    I thought Oblivion was quite good as well. Skyrim is what lost me. /equip flame shield lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    It went downhill after 7 tbh.
    10 was the downfall for me. 8 was good but became a mess for the second half. 9 was fantastic though and I consider it my favorite in the series. That whole era on the PS1 were just all solid overall.

Deleted
    I was planning on starting FF14 next year (mmorpg), I hope it's active enough and that it's still possible to play something relevant starting so late. D=

Deleted
    Play FF up to 10, maybe 12, then play the later ones.
    Decide for yourself what the trend is.
    For me, it's becoming worse.

Because it's the internet and anyone can say whatever they want for any/no reason.

The question posed by the OP is a stupid one because any number of franchises have been accused of dying/decaying/whatever for years. I remember people saying the FF franchise was dying when they seemed to be focusing on science fiction with 7 and 8, and even more so when 10 came out with OHNOESVOICEACTING! and the worst fucking primary protagonist imaginable (which is quite a feat considering how awful Squall was). Resident Evil was brought up and I remember it being accused of decaying/dying/whatever because of it getting a bunch of pointless and stupid spin-offs long before 4, 5 and 6 were ever made.

This happens to every franchise ever and all it takes is a new entry in the series. It might not happen with the second entry, but it WILL happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I was planning on starting FF14 next year (mmorpg), I hope it's active enough and that it's still possible to play something relevant starting so late. D=
    Well they have an expansion coming out...

Dying? No. But the series has seemed to drift apart from western consumers. Which is generally why I think there's the negative feedback.

That said, I think they're still quality games. Just that XIII & XV don't appeal to the modern American/European consumer like the PS1 generation did.

It isn't really dying. It's just that it doesn't appeal to the west as it once did. If you look at sales North America sales in comparison to Japan. You can tell that Japan favors Final Fantasy while North America favors Kingdom Hearts.

Dying is a strong word but I don't think I've enjoyed an FF game since 9.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

because none of the new final fantasy games can satisfy the older finaly fantasy fans because of nostalgia and I am guilty of this also, none of the new FF games can give me enjoyment of the same levels as I received when I played FF6, probably because I am much much older now.

Actually in SE's eyes FF12 was the first flop. The retailers sent back unsold copies and returns in droves. It may have been popular in Japan but the American market as a whole disliked it intensely. FF13 was beautiful but crossed the line in my opinion that FFX had gone right up to in that it took away full open world exploration. It was a linear "tube" of a story but after you could get your airship you could only go to specific points in the tube as it were. FF13 was so linear that one of the core competencies of the series was finally lost and became like any number of competing linear story games. It simply was longer due to a much larger budget. FF14 was basically just a FFXI upgrade that was sorely needed to keep the FF MMO cross-genre gamers satiated. I can't comment on FF15 quite yet obviously but I can already tell I hate the playable character line up.... FF8 was the only all human cast that I found tolerable because all of them were markedly different from each other both in looks and personality.

Whenever someone wants to delegitimize something they don't like, one of the quickest ways is to claim that "it's dying". Artists took a new approach? Omg it's not the same as it was, "DYING"

That said, I just bought FF IV last night. Haven't played a good RPG, or FF, in a while, figured I'd give one of the earlier ones a try.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8