Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph Beifong View Post
    Honestly who cares? CoD is a solid twitch shooter and while people may say it's rehashed who cares? Why fix something that isn't broken. Nintendo makes a new 3D Mario game every now and then which when you play any 3D Mario game and then play another one, they feel completely different. Like Nintendo really nails their 3D Mario games, completely different physics and often add a brand new mechanic that others haven't used and they never get credit for that.

P.S. Not including Super Mario Galaxy 2.
    CoD goes a little overboard IMO. A new iteration is released every year which pretty much forces you to buy the new game + DLC because the community on the previous game is dead inside of a month. It can be fun, but I don't like being forced to grind the unlocks over and over, it gets to be a chore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    As long as Nintendo stays in business sure.
    if you ask me, they will out-live the x-box line.
    admittivly, thats just my personal opinion.

but what i think is pretty save to say, that nintenmdo will last for quite some time.
    the worst possible outcome i can think of is that nintendo will have to focus on the handheld market. and there nintendo dominated uninterruped for what now? 20 years?

but no, I personally think nintendo will also stay relevant for quite some time in the homeconsole market. my reasoning: they play the long game.

btw. what is sony and MS even doing to get new costomers? young constomers specificly?

Hardly.

Something like Dragon Age will probably take it. Idk, I'm stuck in Sunset Overdrive so I haven't gotten around to DA: I.

Quote Originally Posted by Lessal View Post
    if you ask me, they will out-live the x-box line.
    admittivly, thats just my personal opinion.
    Nintendo may not be going out of business any time soon, but I can honestly foresee them going to a software-only company. Maybe a handheld console/software company at most.

And Microsoft will never stop the Xbox line as long as there is still money to be made and there are contenders in the market. Microsoft is to big to fail at something like this.

Nintendo may not be going out of business any time soon, but I can honestly foresee them going to a software-only company. Maybe a handheld console/software company at most.

And Microsoft will never stop the Xbox line as long as there is still money to be made and there are contenders in the market. Microsoft is to big to fail at something like this.
    Except the Xbox brand has yet to make MS anything. Their investors want it gone. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...g-and-surface/

If this gen makes them what the previous two has(basically nothing and only money pits) the investors will win out.

The Wii U is currently the best console because it's the only console that isn't primarily putting out

A. 1000000000 Remasters of PS3/Xbone games
    B. Games we can get on the PC + refer to A
    C. Painfully average titles
    D. Painfully unfinished + overhyped titles

I wanted to want a PS4 for something other than Gran Turismo 7, but aside from their lack of Logitech support on PS4 I won't even be able to play GT7 for years if the PS3 generation was anything to go by. Nintendo might have shitty graphics and it may well be behind the times on hardware but it is at least still putting out good games. With that said though, it's still not enough for me to actually buy and own a Nintendo Wii U for myself.

Unless people didn't already know, Nintendo are already working on their next Console aswell as their next Handheld, they aren't going to software only.

Honestly who cares? CoD is a solid twitch shooter and while people may say it's rehashed who cares? Why fix something that isn't broken. Nintendo makes a new 3D Mario game every now and then which when you play any 3D Mario game and then play another one, they feel completely different. Like Nintendo really nails their 3D Mario games, completely different physics and often add a brand new mechanic that others haven't used and they never get credit for that.

Call of Duty games are average in every sense of the word, you say don't fix something that isn't broken but in that case why is there a need to release a new game every year? Until this current game nothing has really improved (not even graphics really) since Modern Warfare 2, it was basically the same game re-released every year and if they didn't need to "fix something that was broken" they didn't need to release any more titles between MW2 and AW. Advanced Warfare stole some ideas from other games to add some very much needed flavour, it's still the same generic and below par game once you get past the novelty of jetpacks.

Battlefield were on to a good thing for a while, but also going down the shitter.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-12-22 at 12:56 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Honestly, Nintendo is best served staying in the hardware business, because that means they don't have to worry about platform fees for their first party titles. And those are the primary sellers on their consoles and what's made them so successful in recent years. Microsoft and Sony would kill for a first party lineup and sales like Nintendo sees.

As for Microsoft, as Tech614 said, the Xbox brand isn't really doing a whole lot for Microsoft. Investors have repeatedly pressured Microsoft to axe it, since it's never really been a strong performer for them. I think it's smart of them to keep it around for now, but the fact remains that it's never been a very successful branch for the company.

10+ Year Old Account

Why would they go software only when the 3ds is utterly dominating the handheld market?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

I have been playing the same twitch shooter for almost 2 years, it's called MechWarrior Online and it takes a lot more skill to be good at and dominate then any console shooter does. Granted, it's a PC game but it's not just being good at the game, it's building Mech's with ideal weapons for maximum damage per shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Why would they go software only when the 3ds is utterly dominating the handheld market?
    I've come to learn the internet is where people go to be shocked that their echo chamber that fuels their opinions in real life doesn't apply to everyone.

Seriously, if I had a nickle for every time someone claimed all Nintendo games were re-hashs while literally having to break the game down to the bare basics, I'd be rich.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, Nintendo is best served staying in the hardware business, because that means they don't have to worry about platform fees for their first party titles. And those are the primary sellers on their consoles and what's made them so successful in recent years. Microsoft and Sony would kill for a first party lineup and sales like Nintendo sees.

As for Microsoft, as Tech614 said, the Xbox brand isn't really doing a whole lot for Microsoft. Investors have repeatedly pressured Microsoft to axe it, since it's never really been a strong performer for them. I think it's smart of them to keep it around for now, but the fact remains that it's never been a very successful branch for the company.
    The PS3 and PS4 by the same token, haven't had the mad success that their predecessors had. More competition from the Xbox has helped to diminish console sales for Sony, rising console prices as a whole while the lack of exclusivity has hurt the branding of both systems. Granted, Nintendo has seen similar issues with 3rd party studios being hesitant to develop for their consoles because of a lack in capability hardware wise, however I could see them picking up a lot of interest from developers if Microsoft does eventually axe the Xbox brand. Ultimately, this generation is going to probably be even worse then the last for console sales as a whole. Microsoft and Sony really aren't offering anything unique right now and if there is less interest in games from a pre-order standpoint (or even overall sales), it could spell problems for them. They don't have the exclusives to drive sales like the PS2 and Xbox had (the Xbox was really just late to the party to be honest) and people are going to pick one platform over the other and if it boils down to a few minor hardware advantages for the PS4, then Microsoft will have their hand forced if they can't hit the sales targets to justify producing it.

I don't have a whole lot of faith in this console generation. I love my PC games, however I hate that they are getting the short end of the stick because consoles can't keep up with the ever growing gap in performance. I think if you see the Xbox brand sold off or shut down, a lot of PC iterations of games will get proper treatment. As it is, studios are stretching out their teams to cover too many platforms and doing a half ass job with the PC games because they get less sales (I think more people would buy PC's if their games got treated better to be honest).

- - - Updated - - -

Nintendo is already making and selling apps and non core games on mobile devices. I naturally wouldn't have a problem with this if they stopped putting crap virtual console games on the 3DS and Wii U eShop and gave us games that people have been asking for. I also would probably care a lot less if they were actually trying to get games localized internationally that are still locked down in Japan (looking at you Square Enix!). Either way, Nintendo is doing what is needed to increase their revenue streams and that shows they are looking at the greater picture as a business. It also helps expose their brand outside of the general gaming community, which can impact their console sales as well.

Microsoft isn't making money on the Xbox brand and that is a problem for their investors and as a business. I reckon they give it a year or two before they make a decision, but if they aren't making profits from it, they will can it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Unless people didn't already know, Nintendo are already working on their next Console aswell as their next Handheld, they aren't going to software only.
    I think Miyamoto was asked about that quite a while back and he said that they always have R&D working on their next generation systems even when their current lineup is just hitting the market. It's a small enough division that they don't take big losses I would imagine, they try to come up with something that makes sense and works with their vision. Really though, timing is important for their next console, a portable not so much. They need to realize that their next platform has to launch with big name titles, they have to give 3rd party developers a reason to put their big name franchises on their system and so they need something that will trump the Xbone and PS4 significantly while still offering both the great Nintendo games we have come to love as well as the big name franchises that have made the other consoles successful over the years.

People who say nintendo should go software only don't get it.

You would still get mario, smash, mario kart, zelda, Pokemon aka the big sellers but that is pretty much it.

The DKCs, Wonderful 101s, Bayonetta 2s, NintendoLands, Xenoblades, Splatoons, Kirbys, Yoshis, Metroids, etc of the world would all be almost NON EXISTENT. We have been through this with Sega already and people still think this would better the industry?

All of those smaller more niche games happen because of the R&D that get's put into new systems as well as them funding them to try to draw that fan base to their system. Most of those games would not be financially viable in a world where Nintendo becomes another AAA publisher.

Yes, let's destroy Nintendo the same way Sega was destroyed. Totally going to benefit the industry guys!

Let's recap what we used to get from Sega before they axed their consoles...

Jet Set Radio
    Shenmue
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Phantasy Star
    Crazy Taxi
    House of the Dead
    Daytona USA
    Panzer Dragoon
    Space Channel 5
    Virtua Fighter

Oh and now we have a Sega that only brings Sonic, Miku games stateside? Has to have Sony localize Yakuza games as download only for the fans, never brings PS games over anymore, and publishes random western AAA garbage(alien isolation being an exception, the one good western game they have published as of late).

Yes let's have Nintendo become complete garbage chasing AAA sales as a multi platform dev. Every sane person would rather that not happen.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-12-22 at 04:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn some of you are blatantly hating on Nintendo to hate on them. You have to look at things more objectively or at least play the games haha. The word rehash is thrown around a lot in this thread and I get why you are saying it but rehash to me means to use the exact same thing. People play all of the mario games because one they all play differently from 2D to 3D with different mechanics and platforming elements. People don't play these games because of a fresh character or stellar story-line that blows minds, they play it to have fun and play through each level which is the core of the platforming element. It's all about the gameplay for example super mario sunshine and galaxy are 2 COMPLETELY different games if you have actually played through them.

Zelda is popular because of it's intriguing, engaging puzzles and dungeons which also ties into the sought after fun gameplay. The base story is most of the time the same with different circumstances and characters but we only get a big Zelda game every console generation which has people craving it making it a big deal among a lot of gamers. Open world has been done by other games yes but not with Zelda. Zelda is going a different route rather the traditional layout which increases it's appeal.

Don't get me started on Smash Bros. Since 1999 we have gotten a total of 4 stellar fighting games that no one has been able to fully capture in another game. Smash bros Melee has to be the most technical and fun competitive/party game out there and it is still played rabidly to this day among competitive gamers. The newest smash is also very well done with different mechanics and newcomers but the same formula that we know and love. If Smash were to make some drastic change it probably wouldn't be well received. Smash Bros has a certain magic that just keeps people playing especially if you have friends to play with.

Nintendo has latched on to the game-play above all philosophy which has brought them a lot of success. They will continue to succeed as long as they don't forget what video games have been since their conception. They will continue to make money as long as they continue putting out content as we have seen this quarter. A bunch of pseudo-adults can say what they want but they must remember that some people actually play video games just to play video games and have fun with simple adjectives and compelling game-play with objectives to fulfill.

Last thing. If you talk shit about particular games with good reviews across the board and never played it then that just hating for the sake of hating.

Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post
    ^stuff
    You bring up some good points, but you also bring up some points as to why Nintendo is a bit of a sore spot to me as veteran gamer:

Nintendo pioneered competitive multplayer shooters on consoles. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and to my knowledge, Turok 64 was the first "twin stick" controlled game. FAST FORWARD - no need to explain.

Metroid, one of my favorites. Nintendo did a wonderful job bringing it into the modern era with the Prime series. 3D, atmospheric, space-horror vibe. FAST FORWARD! Every time I think about Dead Space, Metro Redux, or Mass Effect, Halo/Destiny or *insert space/future action exploration/horror* I think to myself "Jesus Christ, where is Samus?"

Zelda. The N64 collection of Zeldas was a bold step into free roam RPG (EDIT: ACTION ADVENTURE) territory and tactical combat (not button mashing). FAST FORWARD! Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, Dragon Age etc.

Again, these are my personal beefs. Many of my comparisons are loose, but valid potential interpretations of where I hoped/expected a franchise would go. I realize that Nintendo wasn't trying to radically evolve their franchises and I realize that they are still successful. But this why they lost ME, they built foundations and walked away. They gave it away. I mean the next Zelda sorta proves that they are/were working towards a modern design, but why is it so late?

I'm BUTTHURT about it. I'd rather be playing Nintendo, but instead most of the things I loved were copied and improved. Nintendo did all of the heavy lifting with N64, they successfully transitioned their 2D titles to 3D. All they needed was just to expand that gameplay and release more regularly (not once a year, but a bit faster).
    Last edited by 87Octane; 2014-12-22 at 05:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 87Octane View Post
    You bring up some good points, but you also bring up some points as to why Nintendo is a bit of a sore spot to me as veteran gamer:

Nintendo pioneered competitive multplayer shooters on consoles. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and to my knowledge, Turok 64 was the first "twin stick" controlled game. FAST FORWARD - no need to explain.

Metroid, one of my favorites. Nintendo did a wonderful job bringing it into the modern era with the Prime series. 3D, atmospheric, space-horror vibe. FAST FORWARD! Every time I think about Dead Space, Metro Redux, or Mass Effect, Halo/Destiny or *insert space/future action exploration/horror* I think to myself "Jesus Christ, where is Samus?"

Zelda. The N64 collection of Zeldas was a bold step into free roam RPG territory and tactical combat (not button mashing). FAST FORWARD! Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, Dragon Age etc.

Again, these are my personal beefs. Many of my comparisons are loose, but valid potential interpretations of where I hoped/expected a franchise would go. I realize that Nintendo wasn't trying to radically evolve their franchises and I realize that they are still successful. But this why they lost ME, they built foundations and walked away. They gave it away. I mean the next Zelda sorta proves that they are/were working towards a modern design, but why is it so late?

I'm BUTTHURT about it. I'd rather be playing Nintendo, but instead most of the things I loved were copied and improved. Nintendo did all of the heavy lifting with N64, they successfully transitioned their 2D titles to 3D. All they needed was just to expand that gameplay and release more regularly (not once a year, but a bit faster).
    Zelda isn't an RPG.
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Zelda isn't an RPG.
    Let's not nitpick over genres please, It has nothing to do with my post and saying something is or isn't an RPG is about as descriptive as saying "Rock" with regards to music. Most mainstream "RPGs" have action gameplay these days anyway, just as a modern shooter can have "RPG" elements. It's not even a genre anymore, just a list of features and depth of games moving forward.

But i'll edit it, to "action-adventure", as if it matters.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-pl...ame#Action_RPG , but whatever.
    Last edited by 87Octane; 2014-12-22 at 05:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Zelda isn't an RPG.
    Most websites either classify it as action adventure or an action RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from Zelda II the games don't have an exp or stats system which is a required element in RPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    For anyone interested in Xenoblade X I found this, it was pulled off the last Japanese Nintendo Direct

Pretty cool trailer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    People who say nintendo should go software only don't get it.

You would still get mario, smash, mario kart, zelda, Pokemon aka the big sellers but that is pretty much it.

The DKCs, Wonderful 101s, Bayonetta 2s, NintendoLands, Xenoblades, Splatoons, Kirbys, Yoshis, Metroids, etc of the world would all be almost NON EXISTENT. We have been through this with Sega already and people still think this would better the industry?

All of those smaller more niche games happen because of the R&D that get's put into new systems as well as them funding them to try to draw that fan base to their system. Most of those games would not be financially viable in a world where Nintendo becomes another AAA publisher.
    Like Nintendo will fund games that do not make them any money,You seem to forget that Nintendo is also a buisness with the goal making money and in the last year unsuccessful to so.And lets not forget that Ninentdo also axed a few of their own series like Star Fox or F Zero.By the way if were talking small niche games then pretty much Sony takes the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Oh and now we have a Sega that only brings Sonic, Miku games stateside? Has to have Sony localize Yakuza games as download only for the fans, never brings PS games over anymore, and publishes random western AAA garbage(alien isolation being an exception, the one good western game they have published as of late).
    Or Total War series ,or typing of the dead or Virtua Tennis or Valkyria Chronicles or Bayonetta. But these games cant be published by SEGA cause they only have Sonic.
    SEGA did actually bring a couple of decent games out even after they went out of the console buisness.