How are warlocks now?

So i'm thinking about starting to play my warlock again, dinged it in mop and haven't touched it since then. So how is the warlocks now? how do the play and so on. Was playing Destro in mop but what i've seen it's not the best right now?

Warlock's overall are fine imo. We are not OP and we are not bottom of the barrel. If I had anything bad to say about the state of Warlocks it would be these three things:

1. Feels like they somehow mixed up Destro and Demon somehow, where the full talented demon is best for Destro and the talent of a single target nuke is Demonology..

2. Destro at this time almost requires 2 builds, 1 for AoE (MF+Cata or similar) and 1 for single target (GSup +DS).

3. RoF is in a very bad state, although I understand why they hit it, it cripples the ability to keep FnB running in AoE scenarios.

All an all I see acceptable numbers from my lock, nothing that warrants any concern about it being viable or not.

Cheers

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Right now locks are ticked because on simulators they are pretty much bottom of the barrel. This is amplified because this expansion features a lot of heavy movement fights which lowers casters damage even further. Although I haven't played a lock with this expansion yet, I agree that they will likely need a buff (and will probably get something at some point). On the positive side, the gap between bottom and top is not as severe as it was during Beta and WoD launch. Regardless, so far, this expansion is where melee and hunters (unaffected by long cast times since they can move for most of their casts) should shine.

As always, knowing your rotation and working with what you have is worth more than the simulators show. The primary lock in our guild is usually in the top 3 and sometimes #1 on fights in flex raid. A hunter that sometimes comes along doesn't do well when the simulators show that he should be near the top.

10+ Year Old Account
    So-so, after the latest round of buffs and nerfs I am becoming more convinced that warlocks could use a small 5% lift across the board.

Overall, if you are a good player, you will compete, but it feels like I am working my ass out to stay in the top bracket, while some other specs are basically rolling their face over keyboard and just get there.

If you take the analogy, in SoO I was great without Shadowburn cheese and ridiculous with Shadowburn cheese, in Highmaul - I must cheese Shadowburn to the max to do great. Then there is no longer a swiss army knife spec too - you basically need to take Afflicition as secondary spec to do your best on a few fights, while on the other fights Affliction is meh.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2014-12-10 at 01:42 PM.

Deleted
    After the buffs to mages we are at the bottom holding hands with shadowpriest

Quote Originally Posted by Mkgego View Post
    After the buffs to mages we are at the bottom holding hands with shadowpriest
    orly? https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/6#

Quote Originally Posted by Faladrath View Post
    You do realize that on that list every other class except shadow has a dps spec higher than all warlock specs.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    You do realize that on that list every other class except shadow has a dps spec higher than all warlock specs.
    My mistake, I thought people would actually go an look at the individual fights, Ill do it for you.
    Kargath: shamans and warriors below you(as well as shadow)
    Buthcer: DK,rogue,shaman,priest (44 dps away from warrior)
    Tectus: hunter,priest
    Brackenspore: hunter priest,shaman
    Twin Ogron: Just priest
    Ko'ragh: mage,priest,shaman,warrior,monk
    Imperator Mar'gok: monk,warrior,paladin,hunter,priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faladrath View Post
    My mistake, I thought people would actually go an look at the individual fights, Ill do it for you.
    Kargath: shamans and warriors below you(as well as shadow)
    Buthcer: DK,rogue,shaman,priest (44 dps away from warrior)
    Tectus: hunter,priest
    Brackenspore: hunter priest,shaman
    Twin Ogron: Just priest
    Ko'ragh: mage,priest,shaman,warrior,monk
    Imperator Mar'gok: monk,warrior,paladin,hunter,priest
    you compare same item level or you think a 640 and 657 should do the same? also does that report compares skill also?
    try comparing top 20 same class same spec individually then see where each class stands, it's kinda better than comparing a bunch of logs where you have people who don't really know how to play the class.

Quote Originally Posted by zumba View Post
    you compare same item level or you think a 640 and 657 should do the same? also does that report compares skill also?
    try comparing top 20 same class same spec individually then see where each class stands, it's kinda better than comparing a bunch of logs where you have people who don't really know how to play the class.
    Why would a 640 and a 657 do the same?`This is max recorded, aka high ilvl and high skill unless ofc you think not even the ones hitting top of their class/spec from a bunch of logs have any skill?

We are at a medium to low part

Quote Originally Posted by Nordgren94 View Post
    So i'm thinking about starting to play my warlock again, dinged it in mop and haven't touched it since then. So how is the warlocks now? how do the play and so on. Was playing Destro in mop but what i've seen it's not the best right now?

I will start off by saying 90% of people who say warlocks are low on damage aren't playing the class right. I'm also not saying that im the best lock or even top 100. but over all, lock damage is competitive, we are never top of the charts like we were in SoO, but im usually top 5 in my guild as Affliction. That said Destro and demon need some serious love to just keep up with a dot spec that the dots do so little damage by them self. In order for affi to do top damage they need to maximize soul drain up time.

To be fair i Extremely hate destruction, i have since i leveled my lock in BC. So I'm kinda biased in saying its boring and not a fun spec to play, its all about spam casting 1 spell untill you get 3-4 embers then popping cds and casting chaos bolt that hits very weak for a spell that is supposed to hit like a truck.

Demon is my favorite spec but i am unable to play it unless fighting tectus, Single target it just doesnt stand up with affliction and you have to do 3 times the work. 3+ targets that stay up longer than 1 min so doom can fully tick on them demon is really strong.

warcraftlogs.com/reports/dQJfWhzkyYB6NAbt#type=summary&fight=1 link to logs from last night butcher-twins heroic fights im Dreben . and on brakenspore i am a flamethrower guy so thats a fight that im moving 75% of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stinnay View Post
    I will start off by saying 90% of people who say warlocks are low on damage aren't playing the class right. I'm also not saying that im the best lock or even top 100. but over all, lock damage is competitive, we are never top of the charts like we were in SoO, but im usually top 5 in my guild as Affliction. That said Destro and demon need some serious love to just keep up with a dot spec that the dots do so little damage by them self. In order for affi to do top damage they need to maximize soul drain up time.

To be fair i Extremely hate destruction, i have since i leveled my lock in BC. So I'm kinda biased in saying its boring and not a fun spec to play, its all about spam casting 1 spell untill you get 3-4 embers then popping cds and casting chaos bolt that hits very weak for a spell that is supposed to hit like a truck.

Demon is my favorite spec but i am unable to play it unless fighting tectus, Single target it just doesnt stand up with affliction and you have to do 3 times the work. 3+ targets that stay up longer than 1 min so doom can fully tick on them demon is really strong.

warcraftlogs.com/reports/dQJfWhzkyYB6NAbt#type=summary&fight=1 link to logs from last night butcher-twins heroic fights im Dreben . and on brakenspore i am a flamethrower guy so thats a fight that im moving 75% of the time.
    Well, I think the issue mostly is that there is no encounter where we can truly shine and stomp everyone into the ground unlike many other classes. We are average-ish, which feels a bit stale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Well, I think the issue mostly is that there is no encounter where we can truly shine and stomp everyone into the ground unlike many other classes. We are average-ish, which feels a bit stale.
    Yeah but did you actually expect too. we were top on almost every fight in SoO. how can you expect to be that dominate and come into the next expansion thinking oh its going to be just like last time. our closets thing to a top fight would be twins. which if you look at who has logged so far in mythic we have a few top 20 rankings on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks are pretty shitty atm and they are simming asscheeks to boot. RoF and ember nerf was huge, waiting on buffs TBH.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Warlocks are pretty shitty atm and they are simming asscheeks to boot. RoF and ember nerf was huge, waiting on buffs TBH.
    You will be waiting until the next expansion pack then. Blizzard always manages to make us great in one, then completely shaft us in another.

Quote Originally Posted by icedlight View Post
    Warlock's overall are fine imo. We are not OP and we are not bottom of the barrel. If I had anything bad to say about the state of Warlocks it would be these three things:

1. Feels like they somehow mixed up Destro and Demon somehow, where the full talented demon is best for Destro and the talent of a single target nuke is Demonology..

2. Destro at this time almost requires 2 builds, 1 for AoE (MF+Cata or similar) and 1 for single target (GSup +DS).

3. RoF is in a very bad state, although I understand why they hit it, it cripples the ability to keep FnB running in AoE scenarios.

All an all I see acceptable numbers from my lock, nothing that warrants any concern about it being viable or not.

Cheers

So who's bottom of the barrel? Cuz somebody is.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/6/#difficulty=4 50th percentile 9th/11 classes
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...y=4&dataset=60 60th percentile 10th/11 classes
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...y=4&dataset=70 70th percentile 11th/11 classes
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...y=4&dataset=80 80th percentile 11th/11 classes
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...y=4&dataset=90 90th percentile 11th/11 classes
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...=4&dataset=100 max percentile 11th/11 classes

being 11th on dps out of 11 classes from 70th percentile and up seems like bottom of the barrel to me.
    Last edited by kamuii; 2014-12-10 at 09:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by G3istly View Post
    You will be waiting until the next expansion pack then. Blizzard always manages to make us great in one, then completely shaft us in another.
    blizz' main problem has always been to overbuff or overnerf a class and then fail to bring it in line fast afterwards.