Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Not really i just think there's so much out there that a lot of people aren't just playing mainstream titles.
    Go back some years and some people would just grab the big guns, call of duty, battlefield, wow etc.

Nowadays a lot of these long lasting series have "died" out, but at the same time people show more diversity, a lot of people play their main game or two, and play some indie/fun games on the side. Not to mention a lot of these games targetting newer audiences over the years makes you grow away from a series. I played call of duty since the very first release, but due to me playing FPS for sooo many years and the game growing in a direction i didnt like i absolutely cant touch it anymore.

Also, you have xb1, ps4, pc and more.
    Some people i know bought console just for certain exclusives, depends on your preference. I bought a ps4 after being hounded by a friend, i got 8 premium games with it (GTA, Destiny, COD, Fifa etc etc etc) and i cannot touch it, it's just awful, but that's my opinion. The graphics hurt my eyes.

I grew away from WoW when Cata was released, when i came to realise that i never really enjoyed the game - the content itself i think is just average, i actually only ever played for the people i played with. They all left during that xpac so i did also, we all play for our own reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Marvel Heroes is a Diablo-clone, made by one of the masterminds behind Diablo II, and it's free-play in the truest sense (anything necessary to experience the game in its fullest, like characters and a pet for the cybernetics system, can be obtained by ingame currency, and all content is free, all you must buy are cosmetics and optional boosts). It's also raking in pretty good money off the ingame shop. Free-play works just fine if you aren't greedy with necessary UI elements (like additional action bars in TOR).
    You say that... and yet,

Clearly, F2P works even if you are greedy.

Also, spending 5 dollars or subing for a month in SWTOR gave you just about everything you needed to start unlocking things with credits rather than paying for it.

I was able to get everything unlocked off the auction house with in-game currency.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    You say that... and yet,

Clearly, F2P works even if you are greedy.

Also, spending 5 dollars or subing for a month in SWTOR gave you just about everything you needed to start unlocking things with credits rather than paying for it.

I was able to get everything unlocked off the auction house with in-game currency.
    I'm really shocked LoL isn't #1 on that list.

how is WoW listed as free 2 play earnings though?

Quote Originally Posted by trips25 View Post

how is WoW listed as free 2 play earnings though?
    WoW has plenty of micro-transactions especially with services. All of those free-to-play earnings take that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by trips25 View Post
    I'm really shocked LoL isn't #1 on that list.
    Crossfire has, and always will be at the top. Surprised you never heard of it's popularity before.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Crossfire has, and always will be at the top. Surprised you never heard of it's popularity before.
    Not this year: http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/23/th...ue-of-legends/

Crossfire makes insane money, but League has been raking it in this year.

As for not hearing about it, it's not uncommon for folks in the West not to know about it. It's relatively unknown outside of China.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We need a small indie developer to make a really deep mmorpg. The corporate gaming mentality is what is ruining mmo's. The corporate idea of reducing to the lowest common denominator and streamlining for cost-efficiency have no place in the artistic world, especially not gaming. Games like WoW just continue to strip rpg away till it's nothing but a digital hub to access minigames. With the return of 2D gaming, I think there is room for a new isometric mmorpg with deep rpg elements. Something like Baldur's Gate but new and massively multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not this year: http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/23/th...ue-of-legends/

Crossfire makes insane money, but League has been raking it in this year.

As for not hearing about it, it's not uncommon for folks in the West not to know about it. It's relatively unknown outside of China.
    Interesting. Perhaps China has gotten their fill of Z8Game's CS clone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeleron View Post
    heh first time seeing Crossfire... what's so special about it that it racks up that much moolah XD
    It's extremely fast paced and easy to get into.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    We need a small indie developer to make a really deep mmorpg. The corporate gaming mentality is what is ruining mmo's. The corporate idea of reducing to the lowest common denominator and streamlining for cost-efficiency have no place in the artistic world, especially not gaming. Games like WoW just continue to strip rpg away till it's nothing but a digital hub to access minigames. With the return of 2D gaming, I think there is room for a new isometric mmorpg with deep rpg elements. Something like Baldur's Gate but new and massively multiplayer.
    That's Richard Garriot and his SotA series for ya.

I remember the main thing they seemed to do right was having the promo discs EVERYWHERE!!! That kind of promo.. I say it was a game changer

I don't think they are dying at all, I think its just people are realizing that they don't like them.

Deleted
    I don't think they are dying at all, I think people are tried of the cut and paste wow technique.Also that people are looking for the next big thing in the mmo market. Give me a good vrmmo and i will not have a life anymore.

They are dying in a sense that the majority of the players are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Are you saying that people who don't play MMO's are less likely to be assholes?

Deleted
    I dont even know what Crossfire is, something that's big in Asia?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    I was gunna say "The Age of the Hardcore MMO Player" is dying, but the genre will live on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I dont even know what Crossfire is, something that's big in Asia?
    Looks like it. Never heard of it either.