Deleted

hm [weapon question]

hc fist weapon + heirloom 620). is that better then using a 655 staff? i have a hard time deciding. atm i use the staff just recently got the fist. not sure if i should wait for a second weapon that is better before using dual.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since your title says nothing, and you never mention what spec you are I will respond for WW. i suggest you read the WW guide if thats the case, as the answer to your question is plainly spelled out there.

Weapon Choices
    1.1.1 Which to Choose?

Dual wield is (almost always) king. Here's a basic idea of how to choose your weapon:

You are dual wielding, and your main hand and offhand are the same item level. You receive a two-handed weapon that is ten item levels or less above both. Choice: dual wield. The difference between the two hand and dual wielding will be arbitrary at best.
    You are dual wielding, and your main hand and offhand are the same item level. You receive a two-handed wepaon that is more than ten item levels above your main hand. Choice: two-hander. The difference in stats and weapon damage on the two-hander should be significant enough to show a difference between it and your mainhand.
    Your Main Hand is the item level of current tier (let's say 496, which is Tier 14 "normal") and your offhand is that same main hand's Looking For Raid Version (let's say 483). A 496 staff drops. Choice: dual wield. Even with a worse Offhand, the differenge is neglible at best, and dual wield should still pull ahead.
    Your Main Hand is the item level of the current tier (we'll say 496 again), but your offhand is from a previous tier (let's say 463). A two hander drops of item level 496. Choice: It depends. This is actually a more complicated question, simply because of the difference between your offhand and your mainhand. Theoretically, however, it would be advised to use the two-hander, but try to find a better offhand.

It is honestly always a hard choice when the 2H has much higher stats and item level, but it really comes down to the fact that we scale with our weapon damage and dual wield gives us the benefit of double-proccing Dancing Steel (amongst other things). Early on, when RPPM trinkets scaled with weapon speed, we did see MAJOR benefit in 2H - but unfortunately, that did not go live, and so a very, very slight delta still exists between DW and 2H.

Note, however, that in current tier - with X-Forged and several different item levels, it is not going to be uncommon for a 2H to outperform DW. That is the problem with having a tier in which weapons with a 19 item level difference can drop - it will complicate things for you.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Deleted
    Actually, the information you posted is somewhat outdated and pre adjustments which came along with WoD. I believe it was Hinalover or one of those beloved theorycrafters/testers of the monk community who made out that with recent changes 2H is only ~3% worse than DW = almost no real difference anymore (as opposed to what it was before). Depending on your talent choices MH and OH Dps are valued differently, henceforth it is difficult to provide you with an answer such as "use x" (you would have had to provide more information). Personally id probably use the 670 wep in MH and farm myself a 630/636, which really isnt as hard to come by. You can also use the staff until you get a proper OH wep, which really isnt hard to come by given that the first boss whom you can coin is sort of a pushover

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerno View Post
    Actually, the information you posted is somewhat outdated and pre adjustments which came along with WoD. I believe it was Hinalover or one of those beloved theorycrafters/testers of the monk community who made out that with recent changes 2H is only ~3% worse than DW = almost no real difference anymore (as opposed to what it was before). Depending on your talent choices MH and OH Dps are valued differently, henceforth it is difficult to provide you with an answer such as "use x" (you would have had to provide more information). Personally id probably use the 670 wep in MH and farm myself a 630/636, which really isnt as hard to come by. You can also use the staff until you get a proper OH wep, which really isnt hard to come by given that the first boss whom you can coin is sort of a pushover
    The example may be outdated but it still holds up, 3% difference is 3-5 ilvl, so you average your 1H and if the 2H is better than use that, assuming all stats are the same. I also took his "hc fist weapon" as a weapon from a heroic dungeon, which drasitically changes the recommendation, which is why I quoted how the decisions are made, rather than giving my recommendation.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerno View Post
    Yah Hina and I both posted it. It still stands as the rule of thumb.

Your talent choices don't change value on MH or OH at all.

I thought the op's question is extremely relevant, as there are many many factors to consider just personally from what ive seen dual wield does pull ahead and depending where other gear is at it can be quite significant 3% give or take on average may hold true I just dont see that across the board.