Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yay for people potentially dying because someone is hired to rescue them, but may not have the physical requirements to achieve that. This is downright idiotic.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't understand why there has to be gender equality at all.

Men and women are different, and that is ok.

Men, biologically, are stronger than women. That is ok.

Women are much more thorough and detail oriented. That is ok.

When it comes to things like equal pay, I don't understand how things become unequal. Do women not ask for raises as much? If i were in charge of someones annual review, i wouldn't note, female, gets 66% of a male raise.

Long story short, i disagree with what the NYFD has done. Men and women are not equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Only required the test from the two most recent classes? Kinda sounds like this whole story is a lot to do about nothing. For 15 years it seems the test was not mandatory?
    And lets be honest..do you think that every firefighter who who shows up on the scene of a fire or other emergency, is going to need to carry a "200 pound person"?
    yes yes they are. have you seen how fat our country is?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Yay for people potentially dying because someone is hired to rescue them, but may not have the physical requirements to achieve that. This is downright idiotic.
    "and today in downtown manhatten a fire killed all 157 people and 10 firefighters in the building cause our firefighters could't carry anyone out of the building and some of them ended up collapsing in the building and died as well."
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Do you hear that? That's equality unable to bust through your door.
    It's an odd thing when the logical conclusion of radical feminism is a burning man having to get up to open the door for a female firefighter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    It's an odd thing when the logical conclusion of radical feminism is a burning man having to get up to open the door for a female firefighter.
    who said anything about logic in this case? oh yeah i went there.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Sooo it looks like FDNY has been pressured so hard to hire more women that it no longer requires physical aptitude to be hired.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/11/fdny-dr...e-hiring-rate/

This seems like absolute insanity. Not sure if its a childish shot by the firemen towards the council or if this is seriously what it takes to hire more women.
    Have fun burning alive in NY because a 5ft8 120lb waif is in charge of getting your passed out body out of the building. This is a PC move that might actually result in people dying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zonned View Post
    Being a fireman requires the physical strength to be able to carry a person, no offense to women but in general most don't have the strength to do that.

Hell its difficult for me.
    Shit, I do not even personally know a woman who can do a single pullup. Thats not to say they dont exist but of the 20 women I see frequently, if they had to do a pull up or die................they would be dead.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Have fun burning alive in NY because a 5ft8 120lb waif is in charge of getting your passed out body out of the building. This is a PC move that might actually result in people dying.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit, I do not even personally know a woman who can do a single pullup. Thats not to say they dont exist but of the 20 women I see frequently, if they had to do a pull up or die................they would be dead.
    personal ancedotes does not an effective argument make. there are plenty of women who can do fine with pullups.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    personal ancedotes does not an effective argument make. there are plenty of women who can do fine with pullups.
    No shit? If only I added a line in there that said.....
    Thats not to say they dont exist
    Oh I did. SO your whole comment is pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    No shit? If only I added a line in there that said.....

Oh I did. SO your whole comment is pointless.
    oh okay than. so why did you make the argument then? cause personal ancedotes would make it really pointless.

oh okay than. so why did you make the argument then? cause personal ancedotes would make it really pointless.

It wasnt an argument....it was as you said, an anecdote.

Nearly all of the men I know couldn't do a pullup either, and I might be being generous to the ones I know once could but haven't done so in years.

Deleted
    We´ll wait for the first reports of appartments burning down because the bitches coulnd´t carry the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    Nearly all of the men I know couldn't do a pullup either, and I might be being generous to the ones I know once could but haven't done so in years.

GAH YOUR ANECDOTE IS POINTLESS RABELRABEL

<sarcasm>

Fallacies aside, a job candidate is a job candidate before being a man or a woman. It's all case-by-case basis, so nobody is about to see an army of gnomes becoming firewomen.

Fun fact: sexual dimorphism dictates that while the average woman might not best a man on sheer heavylifting, she will best a man on tests of endurance. A woman who trains to develop her strength is actually more likely to end up fit for the job than an unfit man who attempts to develop his endurance. One can see where this is going.

Not that long ago, right-wing-backed science was dead convinced that black people were too 'stupid' to pass education tests, so when it comes to women being too frail to do physical jobs I think we should all pass on that one.

Granted, in this case, they might've gone a tad overboard... cutting parts of the test instead of redesigning them sounds lazy.

Some nice irony if the official who dropped the test was caught in a fire an the female fire fighter with her wee girl arms couldn't manhandled him out of there.

Not that I want anyone to die in a fire. Just sayin.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

hmm if only firefighters and other rescue workers had like... techniques that could be used to move or lift someone larger than them.

Oddly I can imagine this making it less diverse.

The amount of women that dream of being heroic fireman is small, while a huge amount of men do. Basically women are taught to be princesses and men knights (fireman). A large increase of weakling males will attempt to be fireman thinking they have a shot, while the amount of women trying will only slightly go up. Resulting in a less diverse weaker fire department.
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneesh View Post
    Fun fact: sexual dimorphism dictates that while the average woman might not best a man on sheer heavylifting, she will best a man on tests of endurance. A woman who trains to develop her strength is actually more likely to end up fit for the job than an unfit man who attempts to develop his endurance. One can see where this is going.
    I would be extremely interested in what studies or data you have for this, I have never heard of any female advantage in stamina. It certainly isn't true on the extreme end of the scale, as females do not hold a world record over males in any endurance event that I know of. As for the average, I at least personally have found the opposite to be true, exhaustion tends to set in much more quickly for females on average, although I readily acknowledge that likely has to do with a much lower percentage of girls are involved in active sports in school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Sooo it looks like FDNY has been pressured so hard to hire more women that it no longer requires physical aptitude to be hired.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/11/fdny-dr...e-hiring-rate/

This seems like absolute insanity. Not sure if its a childish shot by the firemen towards the council or if this is seriously what it takes to hire more women.
    I'm sorry but this is bullshit. Women and men are NOT EQUAL. They cannot lift what a man can lift, simple as that. If my house is on fire, I'd rather have 2 men than 4 women attempt to rescue me ANYDAY because I'd have a way higher chance of survival most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    I know a few women that work for the fire department over here... They drive the trucks or ambulances and take care of everything else that doesn't require intense physical labour. Seems to work fine for them?
    Well, than I hope they do not get equal pay as a man that starts on the same day as them.

- - - Updated - - -

If every female firefighter were built like Chyna, it could work. Unfortunately, the best we could get is that they end up like AJ Lee or Rose Namajunas. Sure, they could drag a 250lb body several feet, but throw that same 250 over their shoulder and down a ladder? I dunno about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================