Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

[Anime] Sword Art Online

Ok let's start with, I have seen only 3-4 anime in my life and SAO became my fav by a long shot. First, it brought much lulz cuaz I am mmo player. Second, it has amazing love stories, with characters with huge personalities and a LOT OF humour. And the last, but not least, it brought much drama. (Ofc it brought much more, but I wrote the main) I was very happy that there is manga, I'll read it soon . So, as I understood noone knows if there going to be season 2? I also hope someone could reccomend something very similar to it(something that emotinal,funny and with strong characters you get in love with, doesn't have to do anything with mmo) Again, I made this thread because I want to slightly increase popularity of this project, because I think it deserves it. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    Ok let's start with, I have seen only 3-4 anime in my life and SAO became my fav by a long shot. First, it brought much lulz cuaz I am mmo player. Second, it has amazing love stories, with characters with huge personalities and a LOT OF humour. And the last, but not least, it brought much drama. (Ofc it brought much more, but I wrote the main) I was very happy that there is manga, I'll read it soon . So, as I understood noone knows if there going to be season 2? I also hope someone could reccomend something very similar to it(something that emotinal,funny and with strong characters you get in love with, doesn't have to do anything with mmo) Again, I made this thread because I want to slightly increase popularity of this project, because I think it deserves it. Cheers.
    It is based on the light novels (same dude who did the .hack series).
    Of the 4 story arcs, only 2 got animated. No word if the other 2 arcs will get animated, most likely not.

Here are some minor discriptions from wikipedia of what the final two arcs are about:
    Gun Gale Online
    Soon after, Kirito plays another game called Gun Gale Online (GGO) to investigate the mysterious connection between it and deaths occurring in the real world. Assisted by a female player he meets in the game called Sinon, he identifies and exposes the culprits, who include some former members of a murderous guild he had previously encountered in Sword Art Online.

UnderWorld
    Kirito is later recruited to assist in the development of a state-of-the-art game, UnderWorld (UW), which has an interface that is far more realistic and complex than the previous games he had played. In UW, the flow of time proceeds thousands of times faster than in the real world. However, he ends up falling into a trap set by one of the murderers from GGO and wakes up inside the game, unable to log out, with his real self left in a comatose state. As he starts to question if he is the real Kirito or an artificial intelligence modeled after him, Asuna, Suguha and Sinon also log themselves into UW in an attempt to help him.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a good anime the first game was great, however i was disapointed with how it went after that. The made the same mistake Death Note made:

After Kayaba bites the dust everything goes downhill. There is no longer the fear of dying and no more awsome raidfights, instead there is some mehh pvp in which kirito is oviously OP. The bad guy is a pathetic grown man wo walks around dressed like a lame fairy wanting to get with a young girl.

The anime had a ton of potential but they fuckd it up changing the setting and removing what made the world feel like more thenn a game. Had they stayd in the Sao world it could have been amazing.

If u liked Sao u will probaly like Fate Zero aswell. ( and perhaps Fate stay night alto it is nowhere near as good as Zero )
    Last edited by Reluctant; 2013-02-08 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post
    It was a good anime the first game was great, however i was disapointed with how it went after that. The made the same mistake Death Note made:

After Kayaba bites the dust everything goes downhill. There is no longer the fear of dying and no more awsome raidfights, instead there is some mehh pvp in which kirito is oviously OP. The bad guy is a pathetic grown man wo walks around dressed like a lame fairy wanting to get with a young girl.

The anime had a ton of potential but they fuckd it up changing the setting and removing what made the world feel like more thenn a game. Had they stayd in the Sao world it could have been amazing.
    Because a person who uses the game as an EXPERIMENT to alter peoples minds isn't as bad as dying?
    Sure it wasn't as epic as SAO arc, but please don't compare it the terrible Death Note S2.

Again, I made this thread because I want to slightly increase popularity of this project, because I think it deserves it. Cheers.
    Yea, don't. It has way too much popularity for a show with so many problems, and really, once you start watching beyond 3-4 shows you'll find things you like far more.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk123 View Post
    Because a person who uses the game as an EXPERIMENT to alter peoples minds isn't as bad as dying?
    The execution of the second villain was just godawful. The mind altering thing was only mentioned once or twice, and outside of that the guy was as one dimensional as they get. Even Kirito had more depth than him, and he's the epitome of crawlinginmyskin self-insert gary stu.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2013-02-08 at 08:24 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the series but the first arc was WAAAAY better than the second. The second arc felt too rushed. It really needed more time to flesh out the story. Apparently a lot of the character development and stuff from the novels was cut due to time constraints.

Still one of my favorite shows from last year though.

In UW, the flow of time proceeds thousands of times faster than in the real world.
    Interesting. The beginnings of Brain Burst?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure it wasn't as epic as SAO arc, but please don't compare it the terrible Death Note S2.
    Nowone exept Asura knew annything about the experiments till the very end, everyone workd hard togheter in sao because clearing it was the only way to ever get there life back. Kirito yust running to the final challenge of the game and dying would have been unthinkable in sao beign able to die made it feel real.

It was still enjoyable to watch which puts it above death notes S2 but they made the same mistake.

Deleted
    Ok let's start with, I have seen only 3-4 anime in my life and SAO became my fav by a long shot.
    You should watch more then, there's a lot of good shows out there.

Overrated, as an anime, it's not that good. I don't understand the huge following it has, is it because it's an MMO anime? Seriously. The characters were basically non existent, then you had your ultra Gary Stu plot armor main character, forced as hell romance, and ass pulls out of every direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    SAO is okay at best. The world and some of the side characters where fine, but I think the cliche love story took way too much out of everything else. The second arc was also really lacking and destroyed Asuna as a character.

There are plenty other shows out there far better then SAO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Yea, don't. It has way too much popularity for a show with so many problems, and really, once you start watching beyond 3-4 shows you'll find things you like far more.

The execution of the second villain was just godawful. The mind altering thing was only mentioned once or twice, and outside of that the guy was as one dimensional as they get. Even Kirito had more depth than him, and he's the epitome of crawlinginmyskin self-insert gary stu.
    I would think you of all people would have appreciated the near pseudo-wincest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Well, it's not saying much, but Suguha was his favorite female in the show. The "we're not blood related siblings" cop-out kind of kills the mood, though being with Kirito would have hurt it either way.
    The tentacled molestation at the end was much more appreciable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Well, it's not saying much, but Suguha was his favorite female in the show. The "we're not blood related siblings" cop-out kind of kills the mood, though being with Kirito would have hurt it either way.
    The tentacled molestation at the end was much more appreciable.
    As soon as I saw blob monsters I thought "UH-OH I know where this is going!"
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post

If u liked Sao u will probaly like Fate Zero aswell. ( and perhaps Fate stay night alto it is nowhere near as good as Zero )
    Completely agree with you.

I was so frustrated because after watching the first couple of episodes I thought "Wow this is great it can only get better", only for the story to become completely tedious and predictable. A complete waste of potential, they honestly couldn't have done a better job at fucking up an anime series if they had tried. It wasn't a terrible anime but it could have been much more.

OT:
    From the sounds of things I think you would like:

- Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn! - Good anime series, quite a few episodes but it sounds like it matches your description.

- Darker Than Black - Great series but I wouldn't recommend watching the 2nd season.

- Code Geass - Doesn't exactly match watch you're searching for but is one of the best anime I have watched.

- Rosario + Vampire - Not widely liked but I think it was decent and I think it's something you would like as long as you don't mind Ecchi. I normally think it ruins potentially good anime series but I thought it worked well in this anime.

edit: I would also recommend Guilty Crown, sounds like something you're looking for.
    Last edited by NeonX; 2013-02-08 at 10:59 PM.

Deleted
    SAO was a decent anime at best i liked the story for what it was.but to be honest there are way better animes out there then this.
    i would recommend watching guilty crown or accel world heck if you want a good laugh watch one piece you only need to watch 583 episodes to catch up with it.
    also its a shame they progressed like crazy in the anime in one episode they were on floor 20 or something and the next they are suddenly on floor 50?
    Last edited by mmocbdf5b86a98; 2013-02-08 at 11:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I would have loved it if he hooked up with Sugu at the end, seeing as how annoying Asuna got.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    I would have loved it if he hooked up with Sugu at the end, seeing as how annoying Asuna got.
    I think it's written somewhere in the Japanese constitution that cliches cannot be violated.

Contrived and predictable is all I have to say for this. It's worse than Bleach and has deus ex machina up the ass. Kirito was a terribly written character, basically just the Neo of MMOs for absolutely no legitimate reason other than "his will to win".

Practically all the side characters are one-episode-only females as fanservice, with the exception of two guys, and they all fall for Kirito for no other reason than because hes the MC.

It was incredibly stupid and I dropped after the first arc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I REALLY like this show... Up till about episode 15, then it went more and more downhill leading to one of the most confused and frankly lame last episodes of any anime series ever.

The show had great potential and up till episode 15 it was on track to be legendary, but sadly by the end it was a fairly forgettable series.

I'm gunna just make a blanket statement here, as a general rule (ep15+ spoilers, as well as spoilers for Death Note, you've been WARNED) if the primary antagonist dies and you're 1/2 way through the series, you can pretty much fucking guarentee the rest of the series is going to suck. SAO was epic, Heathcliffe is revealed to be the badguy, awesome twist! then he dies... and they go into a new game.. with fairies... lame. Death Note, one of the most brilliant cat and mouse detective shows in existance.. then they killed of L and what do you know, the series starts going downhill FAST.... Do you see the pattern here

Also... Why is it cousins seem to be fair game in Anime I first noticed it in Elfen Lied.. But that show was so fucked up, I just figured that the Mangaka was a perv, but then it's cropped up a few more times..
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I REALLY like this show... Up till about episode 15, then it went more and more downhill leading to one of the most confused and frankly lame last episodes of any anime series ever.

The show had great potential and up till episode 15 it was on track to be legendary, but sadly by the end it was a fairly forgettable series.

I'm gunna just make a blanket statement here, as a general rule (ep15+ spoilers, as well as spoilers for Death Note, you've been WARNED) if the primary antagonist dies and you're 1/2 way through the series, you can pretty much fucking guarentee the rest of the series is going to suck. SAO was epic, Heathcliffe is revealed to be the badguy, awesome twist! then he dies... and they go into a new game.. with fairies... lame. Death Note, one of the most brilliant cat and mouse detective shows in existance.. then they killed of L and what do you know, the series starts going downhill FAST.... Do you see the pattern here

Also... Why is it cousins seem to be fair game in Anime I first noticed it in Elfen Lied.. But that show was so fucked up, I just figured that the Mangaka was a perv, but then it's cropped up a few more times..
    What about TTGL?